• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

How come North Dakota doesn't get too cold for snow.......

Snow. Widespread blowing snow. Low around -9. Wind chill values as low as -35. Windy, with a north northwest wind 28 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible

57 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

Snow. Widespread blowing snow. Low around -9. Wind chill values as low as -35. Windy, with a north northwest wind 28 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible

Cause this time of year it never gets warm enough to rain...:D

57 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

The whole “too cold to snow” mantra is like those old people who see “heat lightning” in the summer and don’t have any idea that it’s being caused by a thunderstorm.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

If it's not gonna snow, I wish it would just be in the 70s! Dry cold sucks! ;)

Not this again Bric ... er.. I mean Mack!

#1; your statement is only true if you don't like cold and dry, which I do (and others). I'll take it any day over 70 in summer! So you need to add "IMO" after that!

#2; It will never snow if it's 70 degrees. ( So by your wish, it will never snow again!)

#3; IT WILL NEVER SNOW IF IT'S 70 DEGREES!!!!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ncjoaquin said:

I'm guessing clippers work up there. Not so much around here :(

9 minutes ago, packbacker said:

We already got an 1” of snow...Raleigh doesn’t do multiple events in a winter.  Bring on 70’s.

We haven’t even gotten under a WSW yet. We’re usually good for at least a couple of non-verifying WSWs.  Give it time.  Besides, 70s in winter suck.  Everyone knows this.

By the way, if you haven’t seen Red or Red 2, you’re missing out.  Great movies.

2 hours ago, Cold Rain said:

The whole “too cold to snow” mantra is like those old people who see “heat lightning” in the summer and don’t have any idea that it’s being caused by a thunderstorm.

I know you already know this, but even though the quote...wait for it...one of our favorite words here..."VERBATIM" is false, we (west of Raleigh) did see how an overly COLD *pattern* can indeed squash (literally and metaphorically) the hopes and dreams of any snow in (most of) the southeast. No one outside of the beaches/far eastern areas had a chance with the PV and those insane HPs destroying any chance of a widespread winter storm.

So even though taken literally the quote is wrong, it's not THAT wrong. :lol: Those folks were indeed in a similar type of pattern where it was super cold and they didn't see snow in those particular periods.

Since there are no storms to analyze, we may as well analyze old wise tales, etc. :( 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

We haven’t even gotten under a WSW yet. We’re usually good for at least a couple of non-verifying WSWs.  Give it time.  Besides, 70s in winter suck.  Everyone knows this.

By the way, if you haven’t seen Red or Red 2, you’re missing out.  Great movies.

Last week was a nice event, was nice to get a few hours of accumulating snow.  Any snow is nice, realize times have changed big snows don’t occur here anymore.  

Havent seen Red, will check it out.  

56 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

What are the birds saying, Wilkes?  And why not come back as Wilkes?  Everybody knows already anyway.

They have been pissed with the frozen ground. Yesterday I saw them in the thousands headed west. Not enough people fed them or even cared during the cold wave. But now things are changing, from drought to 2 soaking rain events this week. Watch for flooding in the west and isolated severe east of the mountains as punishment. Looks a little rocky in the extended, some dabs of cold and dry/warm. It’s so early in the winter so I bet if people had a heart and fed the birds we will score again. For the past several winters, March has been our go to month in western NC. Lots to hammer out, but this winter will already at least be a B+ in my book. Up to 6” of snow, mega cold, etc. I did not come back as Wilkes because I rejoined at a time when my personality was  Ian Gallagher. I was fortunate to be hit head on by EF1 tornado in November, which led me to a new internet service, and a new chance to log back on under a new network. The home is okay, but the birds lost quiet a few trees. I was outside trying to get into a basement when the blue power flashes occurred down the street. The birds gave me ample warning time on a otherwise dreary cool day. I would have never thought a tornado would have occurred in those conditions. I missed getting the actual tornado on my phone as I gave up when trees and power lines started to come down too close for comfort.  It sounded like the train that goes by Roaring River in the eastern part of the county was on top of me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Poimen said:

We can't even buy a flippin' clipper. When was the last time a clipper even produced anything east of the mountains? Anyone remember?

You know, it's funny you said that. I was just thinking the same thing this afternoon. They all stinking fall apart as soon as they pass the mountains. Every . . . single . . . one of them. You know your winter's in trouble when you have to rely on a clipper to see snowfall in the first place but we can't even get one of those. On top of that, it seems to always snow to the North, South, East, and West of me over, and over, and over again.

37 minutes ago, WarmNose said:

Also with regards to areas like South Dakota getting snow when it's cold. They don't need as much of a cold press to get snow events. They can score with red anomaly maps 

We have to have a strong HP to get the cold this far south that we need for a good snowfall but it is a double-edged sword as we have seen this winter. It's just ridiculously hard for everything to come together here just right for snow. Something usually screws it up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mrdaddyman said:

We have to have a strong HP to get the cold this far south that we need for a good snowfall but it is a double-edged sword as we have seen this winter. It's just ridiculously hard for everything to come together here just right for snow. Something usually screws it up.

-NAO -NAO -NAO -NAO -NAO

Yes, having a +PNA is wonderful. We need it. It's imperative. Combine that with a -EPO and we can get (and stay) cold as we just seen. -AO? You bet, we need it. -PNA/-AO combination is paramount. But we have seen over and over and over and over again the importance of a -NAO. If we have to rely SOLELY on TIMING a HP moving in tandem with a wave all the way across the nation to score, well, the results speak for themselves. We can score with the +PNA/-AO combo, and we have (DEC 8) but in order to get more of the SE involved, we MUST have a -NAO to slow the flow so we don't HAVE to rely solely on timing. Even if it's just for a few days (and most of the time since 2009, we've only had it for a few days at a time.) we absolutely must have it to score widespread across this forum.

If we have a +PNA/-AO combo, we have about a 10% chance of a widespread, legit winter storm. Give us a -NAO and I'd say that increases the chance to closer to 50%.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WeatherNC said:

He's around, I haven't lost the scent. 

The birds outside in the woods pick me up like I’m Jeepers Creepers. They always give off my position and I think that’s why I never found big foot that one year on the southern slopes of Stone Mountain. Has anyone here seen the new movie? It’s terrible. Could have used more bird action and they never played the theme song?!