• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

Has anyone ever tried to devise an official Snow Disappointment Index? It seems like it could be done.

Maybe take the fantasy snow lost divided by the annual average snowfall.

You'd divide by annual average, because heavy snow regions would otherwise dominate based on high potential variability. In a stormy region, you could end up with 30" of fantasy snow, only to see 5" fall, for a loss of 25". But after a winter of several feet of snowfall, you're not really disappointed. In Raleigh, you could get your entire season's average to show up as fantasy snow 24 hours ahead of the event, only to get a trace.

How you define fantasy snow might be tricky, but we could agree on some metric. Maybe an average of the Euro, GFS, and a short range model like the NAM, at some specific point in time before the event.

ETA: it should be net fantasy snow lost. If you overperform, that comes off your totals.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NCSU_Pi said:

Has anyone ever tried to devise an official Snow Disappointment Index? It seems like it could be done.

Maybe take the fantasy snow lost divided by the annual average snowfall.

You'd divide by annual average, because heavy snow regions would otherwise dominate based on high potential variability. In a stormy region, you could end up with 30" of fantasy snow, only to see 5" fall, for a loss of 25". But after a winter of several feet of snowfall, you're not really disappointed. In Raleigh, you could get your entire season's average to show up as fantasy snow 24 hours ahead of the event, only to get a trace.

How you define fantasy snow might be tricky, but we could agree on some metric. Maybe an average of the Euro, GFS, and a short range model like the NAM, at some specific point in time before the event.

We could start a Fantasy snowfall league. At the beginning of winter we have a draft of SE cities, each team has to start a city in each state, most snow wins.

2 hours ago, Tar Heel Snow said:

We truly are the Cleveland Browns of winter.

As a Jets fan, this one feels more like the Jets.

1 - The low placement is the equivalent of the 2015-16 season.  "Teams that go 10-6 make the playoffs" = "a low off the outer banks is textbook for major snow in central NC"

2 - Like Jets fans, our snow lovers are generally negative and bitter by experience

3 - We expected nothing of this snow season (football season), saw it flurry for about 15 seconds twice and have to listen to "it's so much better than you expected though!" all season long

4 - Most importantly - laughably pathetic

But...much like with the Jets fans with their team next fall we'll all line up for our punishment again next season :P

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, uncjibble said:

It just got more and more depressing so I stopped at 6! I did find this one though, proof that we can get big snow in Raleigh!

snow 2.jpg

Jackpot was 30 miles...this one sucked too.  We won’t be happy until it snows only in Wake County and it rains or dry slots everywhere else. And it has to do that like 17 times to even things up.  

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, No snow for you said:

I’m about to quit the weather. I have a client on the battery that already has 2 inches and now the euro gives them another 6. We haven’t gotten that in years at gsp. 

LOL...well this is like a 1 in 100 year event for them, bet it's great down there.  Hopefully we get 6" event before there next one.

So how about all those storms over the years that were supposed to jackpot the Triad and Triangle and miss SW VA only to have Roanoke jackpot every single time? Why can't that happen when I'm supposed to be too far NW? Just once?

Jokes aside I'm pretty glad that I don't have to sweat this one out. Looks extra stressful even by NC winter storm standards.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Tar Heel Snow said:

How is it physically possible for this to happen lol. I know we're only at the very beginning of this event, but like, this has to be deliberate, right?

Beam height. It's not snowing anywhere near the surface to your west.

The 0.5° scan is 3000 feet above the surface in Sanford, which is the closest location to the radar site that's actually showing a return.

• Like 1

Just now, Tar Heel Snow said:

How is it physically possible for this to happen lol. I know we're only at the very beginning of this event, but like, this has to be deliberate, right?

Yep...every time.

The band to our SW will die out before it shifts over us, the band to our east should hit a brick wall as it gets just passed I95.  This is shaping up to be a classic Raleigh snow hole.

tBYncXm.png