Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

Just now, DopplerWx said:

hrrr has shifted precip east each of the past 4 runs, very similar to the new nam. uh oh...

Well the NAM's are going to really tick east.  The southern h5 low initialized much weaker then previous run and more positively tilted.  The 3km will whiff PGV.  What a terrible bust for this will be for them.

nam3km_z500_vort_us_1.png

Been following storms by reading posts here for years now and rarely ever post, but holy crap people not everyone lives in freaking Raleigh or Wake county. Constantly  complaining about every frame of a model prediction regaurding what it’s doing at your house in the main storm thread is annoying as hell... isn’t that what this thread is for??

53 minutes ago, opethlike said:

Been following storms by reading posts here for years now and rarely ever post, but holy crap people not everyone lives in freaking Raleigh or Wake county. Constantly  complaining about every frame of a model prediction regaurding what it’s doing at your house in the main storm thread is annoying as hell... isn’t that what this thread is for??

You just don't know our pain of watching snow in Raleigh! This is the last 6 major events in our area, they all have in common that they go JUST north/west or south/east of RDU. It gets frustrating seeing them so close but never hit. You have to go back to 2010 for a good hit at RDU. However, that being said, looking back, we have gotten SOMETHING almost every year. Its usually 1-1.5 inches, but we are lucky to get something every year. It just gets frustrating after a while to watch everywhere around us get the big totals as we constantly miss/fringe. 

snow.jpg

6 minutes ago, uncjibble said:

You just don't know our pain of watching snow in Raleigh! This is the last 6 major events in our area, they all have in common that they go JUST north/west or south/east of RDU. It gets frustrating seeing them so close but never hit. You have to go back to 2010 for a good hit at RDU. However, that being said, looking back, we have gotten SOMETHING almost every year. Its usually 1-1.5 inches, but we are lucky to get something every year. It just gets frustrating after a while to watch everywhere around us get the big totals as we constantly miss/fringe. 

snow.jpg

Thank you thank you thank you for posting those images. I really wanted to see them lined up.

Jonathan Wall tweeted about 30 mins ago that the latest 3k Nam everyone is falling apart about its wrong if you want to go check it out. I saw that the quiet Eric Webb retweeted it. 

Hug the big dog outlier until it falls in line with the rest of the models. Then when that model comes into line with everything else, its "falling apart".

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, uncjibble said:

I couldn't find one for this past December event, but that was also a big ole whiff for RDU too!

Correct. I completely understand it has to be annoying to see all the complaining and "Oh woe is me" posts from RDU people, especially for those that live in areas that are rarely in the game. Unfortunately (I guess), it's a high population area and there will be more of us than not. 

Also, it's not so much that we don't get anything as it is that we get so little when shown to get so much. RDU is usually in a good range in early stage forecasts to get decent winter weather events, but either the storm track changes, or there's some crazy unforeseen issue that spoils the fun at the last second (i.e. warm nose last Jan/this Dec, dry slotting today and tomorrow). 

Another thing is, yes, it's amazing watching those who do live in those "rarely in the game" areas get their big snows. It's awesome that more people get in on the fun! But you have to understand that it's gonna sting a little when we should live in a decent area and constantly get disappointed. 

First world problems, and things could certainly be worse than they are, but there's not malicious intent or resentment, just frustration at how things always seem to turn out. 

That's what happens with southern snow! We just recently have seemed to get the short end of the stick.

3 minutes ago, Tar Heel Snow said:

Correct. I completely understand it has to be annoying to see all the complaining and "Oh woe is me" posts from RDU people, especially those that live in areas that are rarely in the game. Unfortunately (I guess), it's a high population area and there will be more of us that not. 

Also, it's not so much that we don't get anything as it is that we get so little when shown to get so much. RDU is usually in a good range in early stage forecasts to get decent winter weather events, but either the storm track changes, or there's some crazy unforeseen issue that spoils the fun at the last second (i.e. warm nose last Jan/this Dec, dry slotting today and tomorrow). 

Another thing is, yes, it's amazing watching those who do live in those "rarely in the game" areas get their big snows. It's awesome that more people get in on the fun! But you have to understand that it's gonna sting a little when we should live in a decent area and constantly get disappointed. 

First world problems, and things could certainly be worse than they are, but there's not malicious intent or resentment, just frustration at how things always seem to turn out. 

That's what happens with southern snow! We just recently have seemed to get the short end of the stick.

Yes, this exactly! And honestly, I also went back and looked at my facebook pictures, and we have gotten enough snow for sledding/ outdoor fun at least once every year. Even if it is 1-2 inches, and never the big one, I am happy we get something on a regular basis. I'm hoping we can somehow still get our annual 1.5 inches out of this one. For once, being in SE Wake county might be an advantage! 

Just now, uncjibble said:

Yes, this exactly! And honestly, I also went back and looked at my facebook pictures, and we have gotten enough snow for sledding/ outdoor fun at least once every year. Even if it is 1-2 inches, and never the big one, I am happy we get something on a regular basis. I'm hoping we can somehow still get our annual 1.5 inches out of this one. For once, being in SE Wake county might be an advantage! 

Absolutely. Enough to pick up off the ground is fine by me, one of these days we'll hopefully run into something more! Good look to you from North Raleigh to SE Wake.

32 minutes ago, uncjibble said:

snow.jpg

You could add January 2013, February 2012, and January 2011 to this list, as well.

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

Just noticed 12km shafts PGV.

qpf_acc.us_ma.png

I felt real good yesterday for 4 to 8 but being 5 miles west of pgv I now have that feeling I've said so many times. The feeling of a good solid storm evaporating at the last minute. I can only sit back and watch what happens now. The whole time I hear how dominate the hi res models are and yet in the end they trended to the anemic totals the globals had ran for days on end.