Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

25 minutes ago, lookingnorth said:

I only got 2.8", while I was expecting 4-8". It's disappointing, but I know those in the Raleigh area did even worse.

one of the biggest busts in recent memory.  what made it worse was the constant back and forth by mets as the event was unfolding and still being wrong every single time and getting attacked on twitter. just a sad situation all around..

1 hour ago, BigWeather said:

Regarding the time, yeah, that's the worst part of it.  The older I get the more time seems valuable and I wasted many hours (including when I shouldn't have, distracting myself from other things) on this.  The funny thing is even if we had jackpot'd I'd regret the time.  Though I'm mostly a lurker, however, I do lurk for almost every storm and love keeping up with people like CR, Brick, PB, etc.  I just need to get better about just lurking once a day, or a couple of times a day, and not the constant F5-fest I did this past week.

As for comparing this loss to the Pack's FB loss to Clemson -- not sure that tracks.  I understand it in terms of pain, but we weren't really supposed to ever be in it.  This storm, however, seemed perfect -- and still managed to dud.  The Clemson loss was like a low tracking off the coast and unexpectedly bombs, the training bands and freezing line setting up N-S bisecting Chatham county.  As it winds up and draws cold air down the line advances east past Jordan Lake and gets to about the Chatham / Wake boundary.  Just then the low moves past us in latitude and we end up with a dud.  Never expected to be in it going in, had this huge OMG OMG OMG moment, but in the end it was same ol' same ol'.

It's a testament to the mediocrity of Pack basketball that I can't really think of an equivalent to this storm (really great chance of winning and total failure).  Maybe 1989 ACC Tournament 1 seed against 8 seed Maryland loss?  As a high school senior heading to State that fall I should've taken it as a premonition. =)

Recent bball failures on par with the bust you guys had include:

-Blowing the lead down the stretch against St. Louis in the tourney because of free throws

-20 pt blown leads against Duke and Maryland in the ACC tourney

-11 pt blown lead against Vanderbilt for a Sweet Sixteen birth

-20 pt blown lead against Duke in the regular season at Cameron

34 minutes ago, WxKnurd said:

Recent bball failures on par with the bust you guys had include:

-Blowing the lead down the stretch against St. Louis in the tourney because of free throws

-20 pt blown leads against Duke and Maryland in the ACC tourney

-11 pt blown lead against Vanderbilt for a Sweet Sixteen birth

-20 pt blown lead against Duke in the regular season at Cameron

I'd rank the St. Louis free throw meltdown in the tourney as particularly painful. Admittedly I'm a UNC fan, but tend to pull for State in the tourney (because I'm weird). It was a slow, methodolical, torturous loss. The fact it was done using a strategy similar to what Valvano used on teams during the '83 title run just made it that much more awful.

In fact, that game reminds me a little of this storm. Big lead for awhile, and then a slow but deliberate trend of the warm nose making a comeback. You saw it coming, but you didn't want to believe it. But deep down, you knew it probably would.

1 hour ago, wxdawg10 said:

one of the biggest busts in recent memory.  what made it worse was the constant back and forth by mets as the event was unfolding and still being wrong every single time and getting attacked on twitter. just a sad situation all around..

Makes me wonder if they should just say "there is a winter storm coming, but we really dont know what it's going to do so just be prepared for anything".

BTW, on another note..

I moved here about 5 years ago from the Triad. When I first started lurking these boards, I admit I didn't quite "get" the doom and gloom mentality of you Triangle posters. All this whining about warm noses and BL issues and always being on the line. I'd just shake my head at all the meltdowns/bittercasting and felt there was a little too much drama being generated. Blah blah blah. "It's gonna turn to rain! It always does, you just watch! Whaaa!" The fact there was so many of you didn't help. (Which BTW let to me choosing my username, lol)

But I'm finally starting to get it now.

I mean, every single one of these storms screws somebody around here. Every. Time. I've seen CH and Durham get nearly nothing while Mebane gets 5-6''. Another time I've seen CH and Durham get about that amount w/ N Raleigh getting a sloppy mess. And I won't even talk about those of you in S Wake, who I can't figure out why you're even here except that you must be addicted to pain. Why else would you put yourselves through this winter after winter? :lol:

TL;DR, I'm starting to get why some of ya'll complain so much.

2 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

BTW, on another note..

I moved here about 5 years ago from the Triad. When I first started lurking these boards, I admit I didn't quite "get" the doom and gloom mentality of you Triangle posters. All this whining about warm noses and BL issues and always being on the line. I'd just shake my head at all the meltdowns/bittercasting and felt there was a little too much drama being generated. Blah blah blah. "It's gonna turn to rain! It always does, you just watch! Whaaa!" The fact there was so many of you didn't help. (Which BTW let to me choosing my username, lol)

But I'm finally starting to get it now.

I mean, every single one of these storms screws somebody around here. Every. Time. I've seen CH and Durham get nearly nothing while Mebane gets 5-6''. Another time I've seen CH and Durham get about that amount w/ N Raleigh getting a sloppy mess. And I won't even talk about those of you in S Wake, who I can't figure out why you're even here except that you must be addicted to pain. Why else would you put yourselves through this winter after winter? :lol:

TL;DR, I'm starting to get why some of ya'll complain so much.

LOL...won't take long to turn you bitter with snow here.  Past 7-8 years Wake has missed in every direction.  Par for the course around here now.

I grew up in Winston and when I was young pre teen I experienced the run from 78-89 where it snowed and snowed a lot.  90's came and I was in HS and didn't care about snow.  Then in Raleigh after college I experienced 2000-2004 which was as snowy a time as you can hope for.  Since then it's been our lowest 15+ year stretch RDU has had in 130+ years.  So good news we are breaking into some new lows...got to turn around sometime.  

1 hour ago, packbacker said:

LOL...won't take long to turn you bitter with snow here.  Past 7-8 years Wake has missed in every direction.  Par for the course around here now.

I grew up in Winston and when I was young pre teen I experienced the run from 78-89 where it snowed and snowed a lot.  90's came and I was in HS and didn't care about snow.  Then in Raleigh after college I experienced 2000-2004 which was as snowy a time as you can hope for.  Since then it's been our lowest 15+ year stretch RDU has had in 130+ years.  So good news we are breaking into some new lows...got to turn around sometime.  

Haha, yea it took me almost 5 years, but the dark side of the force is strong. You growing up in Winston and now residing in the snow desert of Wake now makes sense as to how you got bitter. I wonder what CR's excuse is? Lol. :lol:

I grew up in High Point. Was always jealous of Winston's storm totals, but never got too worked up about it. Why would I? WS would get 4-5'' and HP might get 2-3''. (I'm generalizing of course, but that to me is a typical storm amount for the area) Those totals were to be expected because that's climo right? It seemed rare that WS or GSO would get snow and we wouldn't.

But the Triangle and neighboring locales seem much more prone to being feast or famine, as I described before. The rain/snow or ice/snow or even rain/ice line just always seems to be around here--resulting in high deviation in impacts over short distances. Yea yea, I know the line between the haves and havenots has to be somewhere. But why does it always have to be around here?

That last paragraph sounded a little bitter. I'm only going to get worse, aren't I?

46 minutes ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Haha, yea it took me almost 5 years, but the dark side of the force is strong. You growing up in Winston and now residing in the snow desert of Wake now makes sense as to how you got bitter. I wonder what CR's excuse is? Lol. :lol:

I grew up in High Point. Was always jealous of Winston's storm totals, but never got too worked up about it. Why would I? WS would get 4-5'' and HP might get 2-3''. (I'm generalizing of course, but that to me is a typical storm amount for the area) Those totals were to be expected because that's climo right? It seemed rare that WS or GSO would get snow and we wouldn't.

But the Triangle and neighboring locales seem much more prone to being feast or famine, as I described before. The rain/snow or ice/snow or even rain/ice line just always seems to be around here--resulting in high deviation in impacts over short distances. Yea yea, I know the line between the haves and havenots has to be somewhere. But why does it always have to be around here?

That last paragraph sounded a little bitter. I'm only going to get worse, aren't I?

Ha I have no excuse...other than usually watching the snow line set up over or west of me.  I used to live in Rocky Mount.  We were always on the line.  Then, we moved to Asheville.  All good.  Then, we moved to Burlington.  Always on the line there too.  Then, I moved to Raleigh.  The line followed me here.  All that, and I'm a State fan to boot.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is fairly commonplace under those circumstances. :)

1 hour ago, Cold Rain said:

Ha I have no excuse...other than usually watching the snow line set up over or west of me.  I used to live in Rocky Mount.  We were always on the line.  Then, we moved to Asheville.  All good.  Then, we moved to Burlington.  Always on the line there too.  Then, I moved to Raleigh.  The line followed me here.  All that, and I'm a State fan to boot.  Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory is fairly commonplace under those circumstances. :)

Too bad you're not still in Asheville or Burlington. They both made out like bandits for this storm. :lol:

All things considered, I love living in this area. The only two things I'm not a fan of are traffic, and less snow--neither of which I can do anything about. I know the traffic will only get worse over time, but there's still hope of the snow trend reversing itself. Maybe. There's always hope...right??

9 hours ago, cbmclean said:

Sometimes I fantasize about living in the snowbelts around the great lakes.  The snow comes with the wind.

I moved from Tennessee to Buffalo about four years ago, and I can tell you that I have seen the snow clouds for epic multi-foot storms, including the Nov 2014 70" storm, just 3-5 miles south and never come any closer. I have to live where I live for work, and in my part of the area we do get some decent snow from time to time, but even up in the Great Lakes you would be amazed at how often you can find yourself in the screwzone.

9 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Too bad you're not still in Asheville or Burlington. They both made out like bandits for this storm. :lol:

All things considered, I love living in this area. The only two things I'm not a fan of are traffic, and less snow--neither of which I can do anything about. I know the traffic will only get worse over time, but there's still hope of the snow trend reversing itself. Maybe. There's always hope...right??

IMG_1333.JPG

19 hours ago, wxdawg10 said:

Greg Fishel at least was hinting at a bust for the Raleigh area the night before; i.e. the warm nose; sleet; little snow.

See, this is what I mean.  Gottfried can recruit, but he isn't a good coach. He never has his teams prepared to play the big game.  They're a street ball team.  It's why we could have the number one recruiting class year after year and never be more than mediocre.  We don't improve mentally or fundamentally.