Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Southeast Sanitarium - A Place to Vent

Jonathan

1 minute ago, DopplerWx said:

looking like a sleetfest with monster snow totals up to our nw, just like a few years ago.  nam sure looks like it was onto something yesterday.

It sure does.   And any remember the last time that NW South Carolina got more snow than Wake County?   That's just a tough pill to swallow .

16 minutes ago, snowinnc said:

I wish that Jim Cantore wasn't here.   He is the total kiss of death when it comes to winter weather. We will be stuck with all the sleet and cold rain in Wake County. Can someone drive him over to the Triad please?

No. Keep him. I'll take my (hopefully) 8" to 12" snow without the attention. :)

2 minutes ago, DopplerWx said:

note to self: never doubt the nam when it shows a warm nose.

And always go with the warmest model. I've been pretty bearish on this storm for a while but still expected a couple inches of snow (or at least hoped for it). Now I'm not sure even that is doable, at least in and south of Cary/Raleigh. We never learn.

F*** this. First cliff dive/visit to this thread of the season.

Seriously considering a drive up to Sugar or Beech for a chase and some spontaneous skiing. No way I'll be able to convince any friends to join though, so it'd just be a solo chase with the pup. Unsure if that's wise with no 4WD. Family also has a lake house at Gaston which looks to be almost in the jackpot zone still, but that's almost 4 hours from CLT.

Models are run by specific mathematical equations that have to make assumptions about the state of the atmosphere.  These assumptions result in model "biases" over time (i.e. the NW trend -- out in time, models forecast the storm too far to the east.  They "see" the atmosphere better as the lead time decreases.  As the "see" better, they "correct" their solutions/storm tracks.  Usually, this corrects NW, as the modal bias is to model the storm too far to the east).  Humans can observe these trends over time, recognize them, and adjust for them in their forecasting.  Until we get to a state where the entire atmosphere can be observed and modeled, models will always have certain biases.  It's up to us to recognize them and use them to our advantage when forecasting.