joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not saying it aint never gonna snow.  I think we are headed for a January 20 to February 15 type winter.

12 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Why is the mjo getting so much headline talk when it's a non factor? I don't get it. It's spinning around the circle of nothingness with no amplitude in any phase. It's a non driver right now imo. 

Bob, you make a good point as noted below:

Dynamical model forecasts of MJO activity suggest the possible emergence of a signal in the MJO band over the West Pacific late in Week-1 or during Week-2; however, the phase speed of this signature appears at the very fast end of the MJO spectrum and appears tied to the aforementioned Kelvin wave. Filtered CFS guidance suggests an absence of a robust MJO signature during the forecast period, and as such MJO-related impacts are not anticipated throughout the tropics and subtropics. Instead Kelvin wave activity, the low frequency state, and potential tropical cyclones are more likely to shape the present outlook.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/ghazards/index.php

I find the MJO to be a challenging subject to fully understand.  Still, in previous winters I've noticed that when the MJO lines up in phases 7 and 8 we seem to get into a good pattern and it seems that the MJO requires about 40 to 47 days to makes meaningful shifts.

I concur with Bob. My quick look at all the 12z guidance left me feeling pretty good. Last night was a good run and today wasn't a step back. We look to have a legit window in early January. Could we nitpick a thing or two sure but we have snowed in much worse so I'll take my chances. We just need to wait to see how the specifics shake out. We're a ways away for that. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

Things have been crappy so far, which is typical actually, but there isn't much reason to be down on January at this point. 

Nope. I like our chances if we keep expectations in check.  Last year proved all it takes is one great set up and boom.  Some might be praising the SER before long as we wait for a west trend or decent over running.  

• WxUSAF pinned this topic

18z gfs/gefs continue the upbeat look from the 5th onward. Gefs is a mix of west track mixes and all snow waves under us but clarity is still a ways off. 

Things look a good bit better this time compared to leading into mid Dec. We couldn't shake the WAR. Colder and more promising look with less chance at a dumb lakes low doing its dirty work or hp sliding due east off the coast. I wish we could fast forward to the coming weekend. Lol

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

18z gfs/gefs continue the upbeat look from the 5th onward. Gefs is a mix of west track mixes and all snow waves under us but clarity is still a ways off. 

Things look a good bit better this time compared to leading into mid Dec. We couldn't shake the WAR. Colder and more promising look with less chance at a dumb lakes low doing its dirty work or hp sliding due east off the coast. I wish we could fast forward to the coming weekend. Lol

Go ahead and wish my vacation time away for your silly hobby.....Selfish! :P

21 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

The 18gfs op is showing a cutter system on the 11th of January. 

3 minutes ago, Thanatos_I_Am said:

I swear every day people talk about how bad that thing is lol. Why don't people just disregard it?

The farmers almanac can give forecasts months in advance for a lot less money.

Maybe someone can explain how I would benefit from a forecast one month in advance even if it was  certain to be 100% correct. How exactly do I benefit from knowing my temp for January will average +2?

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The farmers almanac can give forecasts months in advance for a lot less money.

Maybe someone can explain how I would benefit from a forecast one month in advance even if it was  certain to be 100% correct. How exactly do I benefit from knowing my temp for January will average +2?

Only if you were a natural gas futures trader.  Then you would like to know.  Otherwise not helpful

24 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Only if you were a natural gas futures trader.  Then you would like to know.  Otherwise not helpful

Then let them spend their money and develop their own model.  No way public money should be spent on that.  Spend it on improving the ability to forecast 0-5 days.  That is the beneficial time frame.

3 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Weeklies look pretty good @ h5. Decent look next week continues for most of week 3. +pna and nao blocking week 4. Ridge west/trough east week 5-6. 

Overall the best run since early Dec. 

Didn't someone say last week they were the worst they'd ever seen?

1 minute ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Didn't someone say last week they were the worst they'd ever seen?

I like the weeklies for rolling forward whatever pattern d15 is showing on the 0z eps. Beyond that is nothing more than a recap of what they show with zero confidence. Never a bad thing when they look good though. 

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I like the weeklies for rolling forward whatever pattern d15 is showing on the 0z eps. Beyond that is nothing more than a recap of what they show with zero confidence. Never a bad thing when they look good though. 

It gives us a general idea about the look of the pattern beyond day 15. In this case, I like the general idea.

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

It gives us a general idea about the look of the pattern beyond day 15. In this case, I like the general idea.

Logical.  Good stuff guys.

Do they generally follow the pattern laid out by the ensembles or are there times when are in stark contrast.

23 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Weeklies look pretty good @ h5. Decent look next week continues for most of week 3. +pna and nao blocking week 4. Ridge west/trough east week 5-6. 

Overall the best run since early Dec. 

They do look fairly good. Like the fact it is not showing south east ridging like the last couple of runs. I do question the temp anomalies though. The look IMO suggests seasonal to slightly below temps not the above normal temps it shows in the longer range.

Archived