Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2017 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

30 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Just looking at the radar for Chicago, I think that top 10 futility record might be in trouble, like I suspected it would be.  Decent back of snow back near the QC to Madison rotating southeast.

I think they need 1.2" to avoid the top 10? I'd say it would be likely to get that tonight if temps were a bit colder but temps/crappy ratios may hurt, so I'm not sure.  Still have several days though if tonight falls short.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think they need 1.2" to avoid the top 10? I'd say it would be likely to get that tonight if temps were a bit colder but temps/crappy ratios may hurt, so I'm not sure.  Still have several days though if tonight falls short.

I think they get most of it tonight, then grind out the rest by the weekend. Though it wouldn't shock me if they get enough tonight to cover the 1.2" needed.

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

Now that the cooler weather and snow has returned to the UP, here's a few more stats from the warm spell that nearly sent me over the edge. 

- 11 consecutive days without snow, a record for winter (Dec-Feb).

- 4 consecutive days with a minimum temperature of >30F, tying the record for winter.

- 9 consecutive days above freezing, a record for January. Winter 2013-2014 had just 4 days above freezing

How did you ever survive Indiana? lol

20 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

How did you ever survive Indiana? lol

Perspective I suppose... you can't miss what ya never had.

When I moved to N lower and my snowfall went from 30" a year to 120", I thought I was in snow heaven.  Then it went from 120" to 240" when I moved to the Huron's.  Now, 200" of snow doesn't seem like that much to me anymore as crazy as that sounds.

2 hours ago, Stebo said:

I think they get most of it tonight, then grind out the rest by the weekend. Though it wouldn't shock me if they get enough tonight to cover the 1.2" needed.

I guess it is just going to stay as rain there... If it doesn't change over soon they won't get any accumulations.

4 hours ago, Stebo said:

Just looking at the radar for Chicago, I think that top 10 futility record might be in trouble, like I suspected it would be.  Decent back of snow back near the QC to Madison rotating southeast.

Not happening.

OBS is -RASN, and even here to the west where it has been mostly snow for a while now...It's struggling to even accumulate on the grass.

Gonna be hard to even get 0.1" at ORD, let alone more than that.

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Not happening.

OBS is -RASN, and even here to the west where it has been mostly snow for a while now...It's struggling to even accumulate on the grass.

Gonna be hard to even get 0.1" at ORD, let alone more than that.

Congrats on the terrible January :D

For posterity...

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
602 AM EST THU JAN 26 2017

...RECORD NUMBER OF CONSECUTIVE JANUARY DAYS ABOVE FREEZING...

WEDNESDAY JANUARY 25TH WAS THE 9TH STRAIGHT DAY OF TEMPERATURES
REMAINING ABOVE FREEZING AT FORT WAYNE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT. THIS
STREAK BEGAN ON JANUARY 17TH. 

THIS BREAKS A RECORD FOR THE LONGEST CONSECUTIVE NUMBER OF DAYS IN
JANUARY WITH LOW TEMPERATURES REMAINING ABOVE 32 DEGREES. THE
PREVIOUS RECORD WAS SEVEN CONSECUTIVE DAYS SET IN 1998 FROM JANUARY
2ND THROUGH THE 8TH. 

25 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

GGEM farther south than the GFS with the 30-31 clipper.  That is the last thing in the way of Chicago futility.

I did a little research myself and was mind blown when I saw that Jan 2017 might end up being the second least snowiest January on record at YYZ (since 1937). 

Here's the top 4. I didn't do top 5 and beyond because the rest were above 4". Very unusual for YYZ to see less than 4" in January. 3 of the top 4 have been since 1988. 

1988: 1.9”

2017: 2.9”  (so far)

2005: 3.07” 

1947: 3.82” 

YYZ and the surrounding area has been dealt with alot of bad cards in recent years. This is just another piece in the jar. Horrible!! 11-12, 09-10 and 06-07 are all in the top 5 for least snowiest Winters on record, lol. 

Archived