joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2017 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2011-12 vs. 2016-17 comparison of percentage of average snowfall through January 18.

map_btd.png

map_btd-1.png

The green in IN/MI in 2011-12 is partly a result of a late November 2011 snowstorm, but it still counts in this case since these maps aren't just meteorological winter snowfall.

16 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Overcast until just a few minutes ago and now a hazy sun. Temp is 38 which has been the high so far.   More dripping today than yesterday even tho yesterday was warmer.  Snow depth down to 18-19"... Should be twice that. A lot of foggy/drizzly/murky days ahead.

IMG_1108.JPG

Long range looking better has a NW Flow clipper feel to it per GFS not sure about Euro 

Graciously Looking for a little education here from the, Pro's!

I'll Try to keep this short, sweet and half understandable.

Heading up to family in the Ashland/Bayfield area of Wisconsin.   They've been expecting me since Tues but one thing or the next has reared its head, so here  I am still in Milwaukee.  Now the weather looks iffy for traveling, wouldn't be so bad but I'll be pulling a two place snowmobile trailer 330 miles..  Mind you this will be my first time doing such a thing!!

So I'm looking for the best 8 hr window to travel in over the next few days.  There is no rush to get to my destination because I have to, it's I want to be up there obviously with family.

Will be traveling from Milwaukee to Ashland, WI.

So, who up for the 8 HR Window Challenge!?!?!

Thanks Much :)

13 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Graciously Looking for a little education here from the, Pro's!

I'll Try to keep this short, sweet and half understandable.

Heading up to family in the Ashland/Bayfield area of Wisconsin.   They've been expecting me since Tues but one thing or the next has reared its head, so here  I am still in Milwaukee.  Now the weather looks iffy for traveling, wouldn't be so bad but I'll be pulling a two place snowmobile trailer 330 miles..  Mind you this will be my first time doing such a thing!!

So I'm looking for the best 8 hr window to travel in over the next few days.  There is no rush to get to my destination because I have to, it's I want to be up there obviously with family.

Will be traveling from Milwaukee to Ashland, WI.

So, who up for the 8 HR Window Challenge!?!?!

Thanks Much :)

If you don't care about driving in the dark, why not leave tomorrow afternoon. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

If you don't care about driving in the dark, why not leave tomorrow afternoon. 

That would work great if you believe that's my best window over the next few days.  I could leave tonight even but I don't know if I could beat the weather out.

There is no rush to get up there  - again I would like to be there ASAP.  It's just getting up there in the safest conditions and that looks a little challenging.

Thanks much, Hoosier.

Its sucked here so far but that's not completely unusual.  Except for the occasional Nov.early Dec. surprise our snow season around here usually starts the middle of Jan., and so does my complaining if it doesn't happen.  Drizzle here on and off all day with rain in the forecast for the next 7 days and maybe some sun one of those days.  Not counting on the sun forecast 

3 hours ago, Stebo said:

Yeah as bad as this winter has been it is nothing like 11-12.

Well, maybe for you guys up there it's better than 11-12. For those of us along/south of the US 30/US24 corridor, it's been pure suckage.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read the responses after I replied to your post. We usually get some LES/clippers to keep us happy, but even that has not been the case, let alone the big dog.

11 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Well, maybe for you guys up there it's better than 11-12. For those of us along/south of the US 30/US24 corridor, it's been pure suckage.

EDIT: Sorry, I just read the responses after I replied to your post. We usually get some LES/clippers to keep us happy, but even that has not been the case, let alone the big dog.

Yeah, even the LES we were getting shut down like 2-3 weeks ago. It hasn't been a good winter that is for sure.

16 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Yeah, even the LES we were getting shut down like 2-3 weeks ago. It hasn't been a good winter that is for sure.

At least there was some LES. However, they've all been west or WNW flow events, in which MI prospers.  We need a good NW or NNW flow to cash in.

7 hours ago, Stebo said:

We are getting some sunshine for the first time in over a week, albeit just filtered breaks.

The stratus broke up completely in the far northern / NW suburbs.

Had a fair amount of sun in fact.

But yeah, coming home, you could definitely see the fairly sharp low cloud gradient by the time I go to about 10 mile. In fact, you couldn't even tell the sun was ever out once I got into the city. 

Archived