Newest Member
    joxey
January 2017 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, weatherbo said:

1.2" in 20 min a bit ago.  Forecast was only 2-4"...exceeded that. Def the worst WWA I've ever been in :D 

Incredible. When I moved to DSM from LAX last year, big thunderstorms was my target motive but I at least expected a few good 3+ inch snowstorms in the winter. We've had next to nothing here this winter so far. one 1 inch storm and another 2 inch storm has been it. I'm jealous. I mean because it's just boring.

1 minute ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Memembers of the NAM (4KM,3KM & OP run) are putting out an ice storm warning criteria event tonight across parts of central/northern IL and N Indiana.  The HRRR isn't as excited, so wonder how it'll pan out. 

Don't know if I'd take the NAM verbatim but things are definitely trending toward a period of ice.  Curious to see LOT's evening update and I'd say there's a very good chance that advisory gets expanded southward.

The NAM trend has my ears perked.  The local forecast here now just pushes us a couple of degrees above freezing everyday until Monday with lows in the mid 20's.  That means it may take longer to get ground temps up each day to facilitate any melting.  I still say it's going to be a nowcast event but I don't like the way the forecast offices temperature trends have been moving for MBY. 

1 hour ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Memembers of the NAM (4KM,3KM & OP run) are putting out an ice storm warning criteria event tonight across parts of central/northern IL and N Indiana.  The HRRR isn't as excited, so wonder how it'll pan out. 

LOT expanded the advisory southward.

31 minutes ago, harrisale said:

Showers in the last hour or so just completely decimated the snow pack. Nothing left now. Just piles. 

Lost all the snow that fell earlier yesterday by this morning and tonights rain will decimate all the remaining snow banks. 

Doesn't look like its returning anytime soon through atleast January 25th based on current projections. 

That 2 week glory we had back in December is quickly fading as the days go on. 

YYZ at 2.8" for the month. Well below the average of 12". 

Winds starting to pick up here, gusting close to 40 if I had to guess (a lot of time in the tropics so I'm pretty good at wind estimates if I must toot my horn). :weenie:  If this line holds together that'll be 2 nights in a row of boomers and wind... and I love boomers and wind.  Late January and February are usually our best shots at some decent snows around here. Hopefully Torchageddon takes a break in a couple weeks and we can get some cold air from somewhere on this planet to dive into all this moisture.  I'm rooting for Hoosiers "I had a dream" storm towards the end of the month :whistle:

1 hour ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Right on cue. Could be a surprise for many tomorrow morning, as roads are largely untreated after tonight's heavy rain. Won't take much to screw things up pretty badly 

Down to 34 here.

Latest HRRR has a stripe of .25 right overhead, but I'm not expecting that much. Precip rates look like they could be decent for a brief time, and not sure how far below freezing it will be here to really allow for good efficiency.

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Down to 34 here.

Latest HRRR has a stripe of .25 right overhead, but I'm not expecting that much. Precip rates look like they could be decent for a brief time, and not sure how far below freezing it will be here to really allow for good efficiency.

Yeah the GEM is a little bullish also I think, has some .35" amounts near me but I don't see that happening. Sitting at 35 here so temps still have a little ways to go

37 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Yeah the GEM is a little bullish also I think, has some .35" amounts near me but I don't see that happening. Sitting at 35 here so temps still have a little ways to go

Just ticked below freezing here.  Several hours of below freezing temps until precip begins will make for some messy roads.

Archived