Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2017 General Discussion

SchaumburgStormer

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

December is my favorite time of year, but January is my favorite month...all about winter. With a great start to the 2016-17 season, the current rotten thaw/hiatus notwithstanding, January-February can make this into a fantastic winter. Only in the unlikely event we go all 2005-06 would Decembers cold and snow blitz seem like a cruel joke haha.

December is my favorite time of year, but January is my favorite month...all about winter. With a great start to the 2016-17 season, the current rotten thaw/hiatus notwithstanding, January-February can make this into a fantastic winter. Only in the unlikely event we go all 2005-06 would Decembers cold and snow blitz seem like a cruel joke haha.

See I've always been about June. Great outdoors month as it's usually not too hot and humid yet, while having some very good severe prospects

I know this is outside of the area of interest for most on this sub forum, but when I look at the current models and then see this graphic from the grand forks nws there seems to be a huge disconnect.  Does this forecast have any chance of verifying?

Looking at the models, the largest qpf for the area is about 0.5".  It's going to take 20 to 1 ratios to get close to 12".  Most mid winter snowfall is dry here, but its usually small grains of snow nowhere near 20 to 1.  

NWS.jpg

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Winners and losers so far

map_btd.png

Decent start near/north of I-80, but certainly in the midst of a downtime. Hopefully this map gets more green/blue in January, especially farther south.

This map shows very well how the relentless 30 to 40 mph winds we seem to be getting with every cold front this year has blown the Lake Michigan snows over my head and dropped them in the Grand Rapids area. Ready for the wind to die down...

2 hours ago, XfireLOW said:

I know this is outside of the area of interest for most on this sub forum, but when I look at the current models and then see this graphic from the grand forks nws there seems to be a huge disconnect.  Does this forecast have any chance of verifying?

Looking at the models, the largest qpf for the area is about 0.5".  It's going to take 20 to 1 ratios to get close to 12".  Most mid winter snowfall is dry here, but its usually small grains of snow nowhere near 20 to 1.  

NWS.jpg

Interesting forecast for you.  Looking at some forecast soundings, the DGZ doesn't look particularly too impressive during the two main waves.  Generally around 75-150mb at best.  You may have periods of rather meager flake size between the more enhanced bands.  The difference in model QPF is kind of surprising being so close to the event.  Euro drops <0.5" over a wide area, while some of the higher res models go crazy and drop widespread 0.7-0.9" amounts.  LSRs are always tricky to forecast, but I'd probably go with a conservative 15:1 for most of northern MN due to lack of DGZ depth.  Cold temps through the column, and lack of wind should help though, so it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.  I'd probably go with around 10" for your area.  Euro is probably a bit too stingy with precip, and even with a conservative 15:1 LSR that would still yield you 7" between the two main waves.  If the 4km/3km NAMs aren't overdone you could easily achieve 12"+.

By the way, be careful looking at the DGZ depth analysis on the Pivotalweather forecast soundings.  They incorrectly put the base of the DGZ depth below the inversion layer, which can sometimes falsely add over 100mb of depth to the DGZ zone lol.  

2u5bapy.jpg

Thanks Cyclone77, most of that analysis is lost on me.  But, its nice to know that graphic has some validity.  It seems like the NWS have gotten super conservative (over estimating) with snowstorms the last few years and I was wondering if that was the case in this instance.

This upcoming system hopefully is similar to Presidents Day 2013 here.  I got nearly a foot of snow when the model qpf was only showing 0.25".   

On 1/1/2017 at 9:34 PM, XfireLOW said:

Thanks Cyclone77, most of that analysis is lost on me.  But, its nice to know that graphic has some validity.  It seems like the NWS have gotten super conservative (over estimating) with snowstorms the last few years and I was wondering if that was the case in this instance.

This upcoming system hopefully is similar to Presidents Day 2013 here.  I got nearly a foot of snow when the model qpf was only showing 0.25".   

How much snow did you end up getting total?

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

How much snow did you end up getting total?

I think I got the bulls eye with this storm.  The NWS report says 13".  Which I would say is pretty accurate.  Schools are closed and work started late.  I had about 4" by yesterday 5pm and added at least 8" overnight.  I happened to wake up about 1am and it was snowing so hard that it looked almost like daylight with the city lights reflecting off the falling snow.  All the snow is the consistency of champagne powder which the wind is now doing its thing and blowing it all over.  It's still snowing a little bit, I think.  Its hard to tell with the blowing snow.

1 hour ago, XfireLOW said:

I think I got the bulls eye with this storm.  The NWS report says 13".  Which I would say is pretty accurate.  Schools are closed and work started late.  I had about 4" by yesterday 5pm and added at least 8" overnight.  I happened to wake up about 1am and it was snowing so hard that it looked almost like daylight with the city lights reflecting off the falling snow.  All the snow is the consistency of champagne powder which the wind is now doing its thing and blowing it all over.  It's still snowing a little bit, I think.  Its hard to tell with the blowing snow.

Nice.  

Temp dropped a good 10 degrees here over the past 3hrs.  Was hoping to see a few wind-blown flurries as the CAA really took hold, but even that is too much to ask apparently.  

Archived