• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Festivus Fizzle

moneypitmike

Thanks Brian....   It has enough power that I could attach one of those cheap small digital thermometers on it.  One that records the high and low.  It would be nice to get back real time temperature data as it ascends.  Maybe the next generation of personal drones would have these.  It has an internal barometer to measure its height so why not a thermometer!

Festival fizzle looks about over but it was a fun 3/4" of an inch.   33.4F with very light snow and lots of drips now..... hoping the new Euro still has the late week storm...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2pm showing 1.5" today at 3,000ft and 0.5" at 1,500ft...base area definitely was hurt by marginal temperatures hindering accumulation.  Up high where it was safely in the 20s was able to accumulate better.  Probably estimating 10:1 ratios up there and even like 6:1 down at the base.

We had a brief break but its snowing pretty hard right now...visibility under a mile at least with better flakes at the base area.

Can see the upslope resurgence and a nice little pocket of echoes right over the ski resort where RT 108 almost touches the Lamoille/Chittenden County lines.

Dec_24a.gif

Posted this in the other thread by accident...at least the snow pack remains largely in tact so we will verify a white Christmas here.

We had a trace of snow before about 0.5" of Grinchy, bah humbug rain and 34° F earlier. The NAM was right on with the thermals and QPF around here. After a couple of recent wins by the RGEM, it dropped the ball on today's event as it verified warmer than the RGEM had it. 2 degrees colder and this would've been 3-5" of wet snow. I wish there was a model that you could always trust, but, alas, that's not the case. One model could be right on with one event only to vomit all over itself on the next.

31 minutes ago, wxmanmitch said:

Posted this in the other thread by accident...at least the snow pack remains largely in tact so we will verify a white Christmas here.

We had a trace of snow before about 0.5" of Grinchy, bah humbug rain and 34° F earlier. The NAM was right on with the thermals and QPF around here. After a couple of recent wins by the RGEM, it dropped the ball on today's event as it verified warmer than the RGEM had it. 2 degrees colder and this would've been 3-5" of wet snow. I wish there was a model that you could always trust, but, alas, that's not the case. One model could be right on with one event only to vomit all over itself on the next.

RGEM has been too cold last two events. Also too juicy I think. 

1 hour ago, The 4 Seasons said:

So true, i always like to take video when it is unquestionably S+ and then when i watch it back it looks like light, MAYBE borderline moderate snow.

Quite true. Only exception I can think of was the mid-level magic storm in '15. That one's video looked every bit as awesome as it was. Sadly, I lost it when my phone died. It would've made a great addition to the scrolls.

6 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Thanks Brian....   It has enough power that I could attach one of those cheap small digital thermometers on it.  One that records the high and low.  It would be nice to get back real time temperature data as it ascends.  Maybe the next generation of personal drones would have these.  It has an internal barometer to measure its height so why not a thermometer!

Festival fizzle looks about over but it was a fun 3/4" of an inch.   33.4F with very light snow and lots of drips now..... hoping the new Euro still has the late week storm...

I was thinking about a raspberry pi with temperature sensor, searching around just now I found this "weather station for drones":

https://www.hackster.io/gius_8/weather-station-for-drones-1184cd

17 hours ago, Hoth said:

Quite true. Only exception I can think of was the mid-level magic storm in '15. That one's video looked every bit as awesome as it was. Sadly, I lost it when my phone died. It would've made a great addition to the scrolls.

Which storm was that? I'm trying to remember, Feb 1st 2015? I remember rates of 3"/hr during the day when it wasn't supposed to be snowing at all.

Archived