Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
GSP Verification

isohume

16 hours ago, Shawn said:

I would assume most would take good temp forecasts over wind?  You guys have to deal with all kinds of variables up that way... aren't the winds much harder to forecast in your areas versus most other US regions because of the terrain and things like that?  

Yeah the terrain makes for challenging wind forecasts, even on benign wx days, and many things can mess with a wind fcst. Winds are a sensitive fcst element for our aviation and fire wx customers.

Observed winds used in the verification use sites besides airports which are unobstucted and taken at 10m. I believe they account for the lower height of wind measurements from non-ASOS/AWOS sites but they won't account for the obstructions (trees) that abound in this eastern half of the CONUS.  Look at any bias correction for winds and you'll see they lower the speeds.

On 12/23/2016 at 8:57 PM, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Not too shabby.... If I read the graphs correctly, this is for the first 24 hours...correct?

That's correct. I have some pop/qpf charts I'll post when I get back from vacation. 10 glorious days of vacation. 

On 12/26/2016 at 6:16 PM, AbsolutZero said:

Observed winds used in the verification use sites besides airports which are unobstucted and taken at 10m. I believe they account for the lower height of wind measurements from non-ASOS/AWOS sites but they won't account for the obstructions (trees) that abound in this eastern half of the CONUS.  Look at any bias correction for winds and you'll see they lower the speeds.

That's true, NCEI accounts for varying siting issues before the RTMA grids are released.  The "BC" fcsts shown on these charts are accounting for previous model performance, however. 

20 hours ago, No snow for you said:

Enjoy vacation. You've earned it. 

Thanks! 

10 hours ago, jburns said:

I'm on day 3316 since retiring.  Now that's a vacation. :)

Lol! Less than 10 years before I join you on an extended vacation. Wonder how many mids that is? 

Archived