Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Dec. 23-24th Snow Event

Chicago Storm

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Tricky call here with marginal temps and model differences in qpf, with the GGEM/RGEM on the wetter side, the NAM/GFS on the lighter side and the UKMET somewhere in between.  I could envision a couple inches maybe but no confidence in anything higher right now.

This seems like a situation where if the precip. is lighter, it will be a light rain or mix. If we get some heavier banding, then we could have some areas that get several inches of heavy, wet snow.

The La Crosse area seems to be ground zero for this event,  here in Madison we appear to be on the southern edge of the threat but will still probably get a slushy 1-2".  Temps will be around freezing so the roads shouldn't get too bad for holiday travelers. 

Tricky call here with marginal temps and model differences in qpf, with the GGEM/RGEM on the wetter side, the NAM/GFS on the lighter side and the UKMET somewhere in between.  I could envision a couple inches maybe but no confidence in anything higher right now.

The ECMWF was more in the GFS/NAM group.

Though the 18z NAM is warmer and drier.

This has been a nothing event for the CR/IC area.  The temp is too warm, the system is a bit too north.  West-central through northeast Iowa received 2-4 inches, but I was only able to get 0.3" from the first wave.  Anything that has fallen this afternoon has melted on contact.  There have been a few very brief bursts of nice snow, but that's it.

2 minutes ago, smoof said:

Hmmm, RGEM might actually win this storm around here saying 2" of wet snow? some nice 30dbz+ returns coming this way soon, going to sleep anyways since I have some last minute xmas shopping to do after this little storm is over (will be a thankful extra buffer for the melting with the grinch storm coming after).

RGEM was absolutely awful for southeast IA/all of IL.  The 12z yesterday showed 4-6" along and south of I-80 lol.  Most of those areas received <4-6 flakes, and even the precip was considerably lighter than what it showed.  

7 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

RGEM was absolutely awful for southeast IA/all of IL.  The 12z yesterday showed 4-6" along and south of I-80 lol.  Most of those areas received <4-6 flakes, and even the precip was considerably lighter than what it showed.  

Lol it and the GGEM have been crazy horrible the last few years, maybe it's due for a win this time locally though :D

Archived