• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec. 24-26th Grinch Storm

Chicago Storm

Moderate freezing rain at -5ºC ongoing since 3:10 am. Its not 100% FZR as I noticed ice pellets are being mixed in but the majority is the former. You could hear the storm's arrival with the wicked winds that come with it. Its coating surfaces fast. If this was prolonged as it currently is that would be very scary. More than 3 hours of this and I would start sweating. 5 hours you can kiss the power goodbye.

I went outside to see how it was coating the ground and its very granular due to the ice pellets. Felt like I got stung by an insect a few times. It is so damn cold in that the wind blows right through you.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

What a absolutely ****ing useless storm.  That's what you get when you live in MKE and Detroit in winter.  You build up weeks worth of snow and its gone in 48 hrs.  O well it's been a sick December until the Grinch dICK sTORM

it's still early too. :D

.21 frz rain and sleet overnight.  the snow is coated with a crust of ice and I can hear the trees creaking in the wind.  temp has crept up to 34... colder air just a county or so away. no real thaw with this storm but could use some fresh snow... depth down to 17"

Yup, its early.  That's what made this storm half ass tolerable. It was sad storm number 1 of our 2 or 3  token wash/rinse your vehicle over-performing hot dick storm we've seen advertised for days on end.

We start over, its just what we do.  Have trailer will travel.  Again it's been an incredible DEC..  Snowmobile trails we're a 8 or 9 outta 10 for almost for two weeks.

2007/08 and 2008/09 hybrid.   We trudge on.

Happy Holidays!

33 minutes ago, UMB WX said:

Yup, its early.  That's what made this storm half ass tolerable. It was sad storm number 1 of our 2 or 3  token wash/rinse your vehicle over-performing hot dick storm we've seen advertised for days on end.

We start over, its just what we do.  Have trailer will travel.  Again it's been an incredible DEC..  Snowmobile trails we're a 8 or 9 outta 10 for almost for two weeks.

2007/08 and 2008/09 hybrid.   We trudge on.

Happy Holidays!

Hope everyone had a great Christmas, I know I did!

I agree. The storm is absolutely 100% worthless. I mean, not a single good thing about it locally. I mean, not a thing. We will get a brief but insane warm tongue for a few hours to nuke all the snow then back to cold. And I NEVER understand the mindset of "well the snow was dirty lets start fresh". Yes, the snow was dirty. When I looked into my backyard on Christmas morning I saw what looked like a winter wonderland, but when I drove to relatives houses I saw mounds of cookies n cream. However, just as fresh snow looks wonderful falling on grass, it looks just as wonderful falling over dirty snow, and makes it look all the more deep lol.

But it was a great December, great start to winter, tons of more time to go, so as long as the hiatus isnt too long it will be fine. Hopefully lots of fun ahead.

9 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

So much for severe in IA yesterday.  Really thought there'd at least be some wind reports with that line.  Guess that's why I don't work at spc lol.

Well, there were a couple farther south in MO.  But yeah, figured we'd have at least a few in Iowa.  Line looked decent enough and wonder if there was a little too much of a stable layer near the surface that made it tougher for those higher winds to mix down.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Well, there were a couple farther south in MO.  But yeah, figured we'd have at least a few in Iowa.  Line looked decent enough and wonder if there was a little too much of a stable layer near the surface that made it tougher for those higher winds to mix down.

Yep.  That gradient wind event out in eastern NE last night was flat-out insane though.  I'm gonna have to go back and look at some model soundings and see if any of them showed the extreme wind potential that ensued.  Several locations, including ASOS sites reported 70+mph winds.  Even a report of of 80mph winds estimated by a NWS employee.  That's remarkable.

We started the day with a heavy 2-inch snowpack and now snow is completely gone except for piles. Many of the plow piles are quite large still, however its a sea of grass that we havent seen since December 8th, and in fact Dec 11-24 had quite deep snow. Picked up a surprising 0.69" of rain imby, though whats most impressive is not that DTW hit a record high of 57F (todays record much lower than all surrounding dates for some reason, the only way we snuck a record in), but that it came with a 56F dewpoint. Dewpoints were some 60F+ lower one week ago.

Archived