Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

saw in Gaines NC pa, was 39 at 7:00 am.

darn warmth ( although Im not a fan of ice because of the danger/damage it causes, so let it come). I do love a good ol fashioned ice storm that everyone sits inside under candlelight and just enjoy each other though.  Sick I am...

Nut

22 minutes ago, clarks green snow said:

What a mess up here. Whoever called the cold holding on was right on the money. Major accident between Waverly and Clarks Summit closed 81 for a time at the Waverly exit. Schools closed due to ice. Was still 32 at Tripp Park in Scranton at 8:30AM. Crazy.

true central Pa and NE Pa are always the big winners...especially valleys within.  Just didnt see anything crippling about the setup.  A typical slopfest w/ its localized areas that hold the cold.  You will melt off quickly.  Hang in there.

Nut

39 minutes ago, clarks green snow said:

What a mess up here. Whoever called the cold holding on was right on the money. Major accident between Waverly and Clarks Summit closed 81 for a time at the Waverly exit. Schools closed due to ice. Was still 32 at Tripp Park in Scranton at 8:30AM. Crazy.

That was me sir lol. And not sure anyone said crippling, but this is one of the worst I've witnessed up here.  29.8 imby.

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

Kind of glad I had another one of my kidney stone episodes last night. Came home last night before the ice hit so I can see a doc today...

My wife has this issue, we had the blasting yesterday. It got icy while we were at the surgery center. then it stopped for a while.

1 hour ago, clarks green snow said:

that accident was one of the worse I have seen. (watching it on TV). 7 tractor trailers. I have to think they were running faster than they should have.

Multi Vehicle Accident

Multi vehicle accident on I-81 southbound between Exit 197: PA 632 - WAVERLY and Exit 194: US 6 WEST/US 11/I-476 SOUTH TURNPIKE. All lanes closed. 
Last Updated: Jan 11, 2017 10:57 AM

All the schools closed here, the roads were messy but passable. Work was delayed but  most of far away staff didn't make it in.

3 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

That was me sir lol. And not sure anyone said crippling, but this is one of the worst I've witnessed up here.  29.8 imby.

So a crippling ice storm cometh? Not awesome.

Everyone has internet....so I'll assume it's gonna be ok. :)

The "cold will hold" held true.  Was slippy down this way too.  Some/many schools started on delays.  

Wsptwx clean up that mess cause I'm coming through tomorrow night. :)

Nut

55 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

LOL will do bro! Hoping you get your snow, your enthusiasm for it is infectious!

Was there much power loss?  How much ice accretion did u see?  I had a funeral to attend so been "outta da loop". My son said his station as well as his buddy's were quite busy overnight. His bud was on 6 calls. 

Nut 

8 hours ago, clarks green snow said:

Interstate 80 eastbound in Centre County between Bellefonte (161) and Lamar (173) is still closed from a fatal wreck that occurred about 1am last night. Weather not officially a factor yet but a speed restriction to 45mph at the time and black ice areas were noted in the article I read.  

http://wjactv.com/news/local/2-die-in-multi-vehicle-crash-on-interstate-80-in-centre-county-officials-say

3 hours ago, pasnownut said:

Was there much power loss?  How much ice accretion did u see?  I had a funeral to attend so been "outta da loop". My son said his station as well as his buddy's were quite busy overnight. His bud was on 6 calls. 

Nut 

I agree with WmsptWX at least a 1/4" , it was the worst icing I have seen in 20 years. I figured I would get up this morning and see 35 degrees. What a surprise to see the temp at 25 and everything covered with a sheet of ice.

1 hour ago, pawatch said:

Not to get off topic but I'm trying to find some information about a snowstorm.

I'm trying to see if there was a snowstorm in the era of 1940 - 1945 in Pa. that dropped 1-2' of snow. It was on a Thanksgiving. Do records go back that far?   

Thanks!

Yea probably the Great Appalachian storm of 1950, which occurred over Thanksgiving. 20-30+ in western PA, likely one of the worst ice storms ever in parts of central PA, and still a top 5 flooding event at stations along the West Branch and Juniata River basins. Def a one of a kind storm.. one that went from the Carolina coast and bent into western PA as it bombed out. The moisture it pulled up must have been tremendous.

This old pic was from around here (a part of Altoona). All that ice and then several inches of snow on top.

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.09.14 PM.png

Looks like Penn State is taking some heat for not cancelling classes during the ice event:

http://onwardstate.com/2017/01/11/penn-state-on-failure-to-cancel-classes-we-missed-on-this-one/

I can remember, I think in Winter '13, trying to walk up Pollock Road one day to class and wiping out on the ice. It was during one of those messy changeover events and I think they had only cancelled classes prior to 10am.

5 hours ago, Wmsptwx said:

It was well over quarter of an inch but never got around to doing it officially. My aunt lost power for 8 hours up in Eastern part of lycoming county. A lot of alleys are still terrible from lack of Sun. Catastrophic it was not, but very high impact.

The ice reports I saw via PNS statement earlier today were ASOS stations at the airports, except for State College.. which was measured at the NWS office. Didn't see any spotter or social media reports in there. Ice can be hard to measure accurately...but I wouldn't doubt any >0.25" reports up in your region. At any rate all reports that were included in the PNS were of the advisory criteria. I was surprised that CTP didn't upgrade the northeastern most counties to warnings like they had been considering but then I remembered that ice criteria for a warning went up to 0.5" last year for the top two tiers of CTP counties (which includes northern Clinton/Lycoming).

The accumulation criteria really didn't matter much in the end though because the impact of how easy the rain froze on the very cold roadways and sidewalks ended up being quite high. January's a pretty rough month to have an ice setup given we're getting into the coldest temps of the year climo-wise and have little solar help via the sun. So when these CAD events set up with a retreating antecedent arctic airmass, you know the C-PA ridge and valley region quite often holds it longer than forecasted. 

***********************STORM TOTAL ICE*********************** LOCATION STORM TOTAL TIME/DATE COMMENTS ICE OF /INCHES/ MEASUREMENT PENNSYLVANIA ...BLAIR COUNTY... ALTOONA AIRPORT 0.02 700 AM 1/11 ASOS

...CENTRE COUNTY... NWS STATE COLLEGE 0.15 700 AM 1/11 NWS OFFICE

...CLEARFIELD COUNTY... CLEARFIELD AIRPORT 0.22 700 AM 1/11 ASOS

...DAUPHIN COUNTY... HARRISBURG INTERNATI 0.06 705 AM 1/11 ASOS

...LYCOMING COUNTY... WILLIAMSPORT REGIONA 0.14 700 AM 1/11 ASOS

...MCKEAN COUNTY... BRADFORD REGIONAL 0.21 700 AM 1/11 ASOS

...SULLIVAN COUNTY... DUSHORE 0.15 700 AM 1/11 CO-OP OBSERVER

7 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

Yea probably the Great Appalachian storm of 1950, which occurred over Thanksgiving. 20-30+ in western PA, likely one of the worst ice storms ever in parts of central PA, and still a top 5 flooding event at stations along the West Branch and Juniata River basins. Def a one of a kind storm.. one that went from the Carolina coast and bent into western PA as it bombed out. The moisture it pulled up must have been tremendous.

This old pic was from around here (a part of Altoona). All that ice and then several inches of snow on top.

Screen Shot 2017-01-11 at 10.09.14 PM.png

I remember my grandfather talking about this storm, and a few others in the early 50s. A nice write up with maps:

https://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/078/mwr-078-11-0204.pdf

Just reading the way the storm developed and the truly anomalous westward movement is really interesting.

Archived