• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

Eric Horst on the coming thaw... and also (hopefully) the return of cold and snow:

-Snip-

After a chilly weekend, Arctic high pressure will retreat into the North Atlantic and warm air will take control for much of next week...and, quite likely, next weekend and part of the following week as well. Therefore, the period of roughly January 16th to January 24th (give or take a few days) looks like a bona fide January Thaw...with little on no wintry weather and temps running 7 to 14 degrees above normal. Given the volatile and every changing nature of this winter's pattern, however, it's a good bet that cold air will make a comeback in the final days of January...and it's an equally good bet that February will be our snowiest month of the winter. --Horst

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lancaster has received more snow than the Harrisburg area however. Just in the past week the city has picked up 4" or a bit more I believe. There is still solid snow cover in and around the city. 

So, yes...Horst making that statement isn't really a big deal. But then again, he's obviously thinking we'll get something of significance to say that. We've been shut out (or nearly so) in February before, so I took his statement as positive for snow lovers. 

5 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Lancaster has received more snow than the Harrisburg area however. Just in the past week the city has picked up 4" or a bit more I believe. There is still solid snow cover in and around the city. 

So, yes...Horst making that statement isn't really a big deal. But then again, he's obviously thinking we'll get something of significance to say that. We've been shut out (or nearly so) in February before, so I took his statement as positive for snow lovers. 

agreed. 

Maybe after inauguration Winter will be great again :snowing::blink::drunk: 

15 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

This initial WAA snow definitely has some substance here this morning. Currently in the imbedded heavy band and it's all huge aggregates. Measured 1.1" about 10 min ago. 17ºF

Enjoy every flake pal....

looks like were about to get into that band as its holiding together...so far.

I never doubted that WWA, just doubted the suggestion of a a big ice storm.  It looks dicey for sure, but manageable.  Nice to see this weekend taking on a wintry appeal.  any cuts into the Jan thaw, is fine w/ me.  

Nut

2.2" from the 3 hour fluff bomb we got this morning. Additional precip just starting to move back in, mostly snow attm but pingers are definitely in there too. 

Shoveled the whole driveway this morning instead of waiting for the guy that normally plows it since the snow was fluffy, I think I might reconsider the snow plow I was looking at to put on my truck haha.

IMG_2093.JPG

11 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

2.2" from the 3 hour fluff bomb we got this morning. Additional precip just starting to move back in, mostly snow attm but pingers are definitely in there too. 

Shoveled the whole driveway this morning instead of waiting for the guy that normally plows it since the snow was fluffy, I think I might reconsider the snow plow I was looking at to put on my truck haha.

IMG_2093.JPG

No atv mag?

I like plowing with my Atv and plows are cheaper for them.

31 minutes ago, skiier04 said:

It's pretty bad out this way right now. That precip in the central mountains keeps backfilling and temps are still in the high 20s. Solid sheet of ice on all surfaces.

Ending up with a bit more snow than expected this morning in the central mountains is probably going to do no favors with helping to warm surface temps tonight east of the Allegheny front.. not like the ridge and valley region does any favors with scouring out surface cold in a damming event anyways. This event seems to have ended up being somewhat wetter overall in the QPF dept than models were suggesting, which was what I was looking at to be the primary limiting factor in keeping ice from getting too out of hand.  CTP was mulling upgrading their NE zones (likely IPT and NE of there) to warnings earlier. Given radar trends and MesoWest obs pretty solidly in the 26-30 range up and down the AOO-UNV-IPT corridor, I could see them going forward with that up that way. Laurel's are improving as most obs there are above freezing. Some north central obs were still in the low 20s.

17 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Kinda checked out awhile for work...did late week ice possibility change to torch?

Quite the contrary actually. While we will get a couple really warm days starting later tomorrow and especially Thursday, the frontal boundary sags back south and as the arctic high moves to our north it will bleed back down cold air. GFS/Euro have actually looked snowier than anything else over C-PA with the one wave that runs the frontal boundary across PA Saturday. Not a ton of QPF but probably a low end advisory event as it looks currently on those models. Southern tier looks more mix-y. Looks like a second, more potent wave lifts up after that which will probably be mainly rain as it cuts west of PA. 

Got about a quarter inch of snow from yesterday afternoon's initial snow. I was in NJ, so I didn't see it fall. Temps over there were close to 40, while temps in this neck of the woods were still in the mid and upper 20's.

Overnight we got a mix of sleet and freezing rain which coated everything with a nice glaze. Sometime after midnight, the temp spiked to 35, but it must have been brief, because it was 31 when I woke up at 4:30am. Under clear skies now, radiational cooling dropped us back to 27, so other than treated surfaces, everything else is still glazed over, at least until the sun comes up.

Archived