Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

8 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

I'm watching and hoping...I just think we're still somewhat significantly too far removed from this one. I just think the cold air mass in place is going to erode that northwest shield away more than what we'd want. 

yeah, cant argue that for a second.  It would be nice to see true Central PA in the perverbial bullesye.  Lord knows its LONG overdue.

Oh to the good ol' days.

Winters still young....wish I was.

Nut

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes to the potential NW extent of the precip shield with this impending coastal system, Washington DC proper for a change is in a position that's normally reserved for somewhere in the middle of this subforum trying to figure out where the snowfall cutoff is going to be...say like State College. They'll probably end up with an inch or two, but they could have 5"... or none. 

New Euro does sneak snow (about an inch) into the fringes of York and Lancaster counties, we'll have to keep an eye there but outside of those two counties I don't think anyone in the rest of our subforum is going to see anything with -15ºC or less 850mb temps across most of the state. Too cold and dry. 

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

Mag, is next Tuesday looking like all rain?

Quite likely there's going to be mixing/ice issues in the first part of the event, especially up your way. Good thing is right now most of the warm advection precip is progged to lift up west of us, which takes away a lot of QPF we'd see as a mix. The low lifts up way to the west of us. 

January '96 is still my benchmark storm. I received the same amount of snow (30") as I did last January, but...I just liked that one better. Of course, getting a couple inches 2 days later followed by 10" more 3 days after that and it was an epic week.

Then the following week happened and all hell broke loose on the Susquehanna. 

2 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

January '96 is still my benchmark storm. 

Same here. I was living in Bethlehem at the time and we got 26" (most ever in my life for one storm). Since I've been up in Tamaqua, the most I've seen from one storm was 20"...twice. 

31 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Same here. I was living in Bethlehem at the time and we got 26" (most ever in my life for one storm). Since I've been up in Tamaqua, the most I've seen from one storm was 20"...twice. 

If i'm going strictly imby I haven't seen a 20"+ storm since probably '93 or '94..  and being 7-8 years old at the time I don't remember as much as I'd want to from those blockbuster winters. Jan '96, PDII '03, Feb 5,2010, and last year's storm were all low-mid teens snowfall here. Though last year I missed 20"+ by about 10 miles while having 11". Last year's blizzard took the cake with having the most extreme cutoff (18-20" in southern parts of Altoona to 11" here to 1-2" in Clearfield). 

59 minutes ago, Voyager said:

1996 is probably the first year my memory can recall in-depth, and so the blizzard is first my real weather memory.

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

If i'm going strictly imby I haven't seen a 20"+ storm since probably '93 or '94..  and being 7-8 years old at the time I don't remember as much as I'd want to from those blockbuster winters. Jan '96, PDII '03, Feb 5,2010, and last year's storm were all low-mid teens snowfall here. Though last year I missed 20"+ by about 10 miles while having 11". Last year's blizzard took the cake with having the most extreme cutoff (18-20" in southern parts of Altoona to 11" here to 1-2" in Clearfield). 

Dont remind me :P

1 minute ago, canderson said:

Jan 2016 will never be beat. Ever. 

35.0"...biggest of my life...agreed.

Though, I must say that Jan '96 really was probably my favorite.  Temps in the single digits at the start...maxed out in the upper teens....after close to 26", but it was impossible to measure with the winds.  Also, a true 24-hour+ storm, very hard to get one to last that long.  Plus, the models didn't catch on to the shift of the storm until less than 48 hours beforehand.  Really a great, great storm.  Also, that winter was the largest cumulative snowfall (living in north Jersey) with 93" total.  I remember after still getting snow well into March, by that point I had had enough and was ready for spring...LOL.

Was looking at WPC stuff and couldn't help but notice the western states...might as well just dump the Pacific Ocean over California and Oregon. Also found the best point and click I've ever seen, the forecast for Mount Shasta in Northern California the next 7 days. That's 98-168 inches through just Monday night. If only haha.

Overnight
Snow. Temperature rising to around 12 by 4am. Wind chill values as low as -12. Breezy, with a south southwest wind 20 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible. 
Saturday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 21. Wind chill values as low as -12. Windy, with a south southwest wind 43 to 47 mph, with gusts as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible. 
Saturday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -12. Windy, with a south wind 34 to 44 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 21 to 27 inches possible. 
Sunday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 26. Wind chill values as low as -15. Windy, with a southwest wind 47 to 52 mph increasing to 60 to 65 mph in the morning. Winds could gust as high as 100 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 27 to 33 inches possible. 
Sunday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 6. Windy, with a southwest wind 65 to 75 mph, with gusts as high as 110 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible. 
Monday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 12. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 13 to 19 inches possible. 
Monday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 4. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible. 
Tuesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a high near 18. Windy. 
Tuesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Cloudy, with a low around 4. Windy. 
Wednesday
Snow. Cloudy and cold, with a high near 8. Windy. 
Wednesday Night
Snow. Cloudy, with a low around 2. Windy. 
Thursday
Snow. Cloudy, with a high near 11. Windy. 
Thursday Night
Snow. Cloudy, with a low around 8. Windy. 
Friday
A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 18. Breezy.

7 Day QPF 

p168i-2.gif

Archived