• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

and it's now brilliantly sunny and clearing quick. Squalls are hilarious when not caught in one driving! Never stuck to much here but a little grass here and there.

What did the fire station weather station record as a wind speed in that squall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

What did the fire station weather station record as a wind speed in that squall?

Our building - at Locust and Front - had a gust of 36 but direction might have been different as I didn't go outside and notice it myself until it was over. Haven't seen any other readings from MDT or the fire station they do city stuff from.

Pretty scary day for me. My mom was in one of the two pileups involving 41 cars on the Skytop Mountain stretch of I-99 outside of State College this afternoon that was caused by the major snow squall. Fortunately she's okay. Her car and the 4-5 cars immediately around hers were all tore up. Managed to get right by the accident scene on the adjacent business route and walked over to where she was at with her car since the entire highway was shut down and a parking lot. I've seen accident scenes and stuff before but it was the first time I ever saw an interstate pileup close-up...it was pretty damn scary. 

There was also a 25 car pileup on I-80 on the other end of Centre County prior to the squall line getting to the State College region. That one looked like it had a lot of tractor trailers involved judging by some of the other news footage earlier.

http://wjactv.com/news/local/two-multi-vehicle-crashes-close-stretch-of-i-99

48 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Pretty scary day for me. My mom was in one of the two pileups involving 41 cars on the Skytop Mountain stretch of I-99 outside of State College this afternoon that was caused by the major snow squall. Fortunately she's okay. Her car and the 4-5 cars immediately around hers were all tore up. Managed to get right by the accident scene on the adjacent business route and walked over to where she was at with her car since the entire highway was shut down and a parking lot. I've seen accident scenes and stuff before but it was the first time I ever saw an interstate pileup close-up...it was pretty damn scary. 

There was also a 25 car pileup on I-80 on the other end of Centre County prior to the squall line getting to the State College region. That one looked like it had a lot of tractor trailers involved judging by some of the other news footage earlier.

Happy to hear she was ok.

Evidently there was quite a squall here in Tamaqua. My daughter said she couldn't see the houses across the street and it caused two multi vehicle pile ups on I-81 at mile marker 136. One on the northbound side and one on the southbound side.

http://wnep.com/2017/03/03/interstate-81-northbound-closed-in-schuylkill-county-after-20-vehicle-pileup/

The kiddies have put out an alert that states there is a possibility of " There a model call euro showing 2-3 feet of snow for our area. ", then they explain to take it with a grain of salt. Maybe the are getting the idea that the should not sensationalize a storm a week + away.

35 minutes ago, Rickg2 said:

The kiddies have put out an alert that states there is a possibility of " There a model call euro showing 2-3 feet of snow for our area. ", then they explain to take it with a grain of salt. Maybe the are getting the idea that the should not sensationalize a storm a week + away.

It would certainly make this craptastic winter worth it if we verified a storm like that to close it out. The GFS had been the one showing a snow event toward that period, now it's the Euro. Way too much inconsistency and difference between the two even at that range to get too excited. But the solid cold air mass will be there to tap, and we already know the very warm air is around as well. If we can finally get that blocking over the top to force that hyperactive jet down that has just been killing the west all winter and forcing cutters and warmth on our end in the absence of said blocking... a big event is certainly in the realm of possibility. 

4 hours ago, Rickg2 said:

The kiddies......hehe.

Hypmongers they are.....

Even if it doesnt verify....sounds like I woke up on the right side of the bed.  Nice way to start the weekend.  Looks like I might need to go find a Euro pic r 2.  Nice to see the Euro showing something decent for the last few runs.

Nut

Euro for the win !

1-2 feet of snow region wide would make many forget about the lack of winter so far.

If any model shows it, you want it to be the Euro at this range. The January blizzard last year began to show itself about 1 week before it hit. The blocking pattern that is developing could help to deliver the goods.

With All of the usual disclaimers aside about how this will never happen ..just think about how warm & snowless last winter was until the blizzard arrived. 

Looky what I found      :wub:     :blink:     :snowing:  Pick one........

evqvONs.png&key=6772d76718b53f20e658adafe700e984f6c83172a8adb139abaa22fe7b82ddfd

Bandit out   

Haha, regardless of my love for snow, the the reactions to people in this area, who think constant 60s and 70s are just around the corner, to 41" of snow in March would be priceless.

Agreed J.  Thats why no matter how good or bad winter can be, March has always counted as winter to me.  It still can produce....and when its cold enough...it counts.

Despite the long..long odds, it'd be funny as hell to achieve regionwide climo...or darn near it....................in one event.

#nowigottaseewhatbodypartsicanselltomakethishappen

Nut

That's crazy Mag! I'm glad to hear she is okay. Those snow squalls can be nasty and that seems to be a theme up that way this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed J.  Thats why no matter how good or bad winter can be, March has always counted as winter to me.  It still can produce....and when its cold enough...it counts.

Despite the long..long odds, it'd be funny as hell to achieve regionwide climo...or darn near it....................in one event.

#nowigottaseewhatbodypartsicanselltomakethishappen

Nut

Lol. Would be a fitting end to a somewhat snowless December through February.

I love the extremes of March.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What an EPIC (lol) battle shaping up for next Sunday.

Euro says dig it....cause if you do you'll be diggin feet of snow.

GooFuS (calling it that cause i want it to be sooo wrong) is sayin Voyager will be sportin new speedo next weekend.  (just playin).

Take your pick, but someones gonna be WAY right, and someones gonna be WAY wrong.  My gut.  Congrats to the Michigan to Buckeye state.  They do blizzardos well in March.

GFS only has to move the GL low bout 1100 miles SE to concede to the Euro.  No worries.  Just going w/ seasonal trends.  Yes its march and I think shorter wavelengths could be the catalyst us snow weenies need to get one right, but this year has most of us snakebit.

Nut

I've been quiet the past couple of days...but trust me, I've been on here, reading, lurking, dreaming, and trying REALLY hard not to get too sucked in to these Euro outputs only to be let down once again.

But please God...I've been a good dude. Shoot, we're a great group in here. It's been a crappy winter pretty much all the way around. How about a nice little season-ending gift?

Or a really big one...

Edit: 12z Euro says "sorry for messin' around, how about spring instead of feet of snow."

I guess we weren't good enough after all. 

1 hour ago, maytownpawx said:

I've been quiet the past couple of days...but trust me, I've been on here, reading, lurking, dreaming, and trying REALLY hard not to get too sucked in to these Euro outputs only to be let down once again.

But please God...I've been a good dude. Shoot, we're a great group in here. It's been a crappy winter pretty much all the way around. How about a nice little season-ending gift?

Or a really big one...

Edit: 12z Euro says "sorry for messin' around, how about spring instead of feet of snow."

I guess we weren't good enough after all. 

Lol. That was the best 12 hours of my winter 

;) 

Nut 

3 hours ago, pasnownut said:

GooFuS (calling it that cause i want it to be sooo wrong) is sayin Voyager will be sportin new speedo next weekend.  (just playin).

Nut

Trust me, if the GFS has me wearing a speedo, then even the most ardent of winter haters will be rooting for the EURO to be right...lol

50 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Trust me, if the GFS has me wearing a speedo, then even the most ardent of winter haters will be rooting for the EURO to be right...lol

Well get shopping cause the king just caved....

truth told I really am just scratching my head at the consistent good looks that go poof and never make it into the medium range. Just stunning really. 

Nut

22 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Well get shopping cause the king just caved....

truth told I really am just scratching my head at the consistent good looks that go poof and never make it into the medium range. Just stunning really. 

Nut

I  guess verification scores prove otherwise but it sure seems like the Euro has given us a lot of digital snow the last couple of winters before yanking the whole thing right out from under us. 

3 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

I  guess verification scores prove otherwise but it sure seems like the Euro has given us a lot of digital snow the last couple of winters before yanking the whole thing right out from under us. 

Did you see the 18z goofus just move 300 miles SE if it's 12z location?  This one ain't over yet based on blocking but where it ends up???  I really am just at a loss for words....and that's sayin somethin. ;)

nut 

Archived