Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is the latest from Wilkes_Barre:

Storm damage in Pittston, power out in Hanover Township, Multiple reports of funnel clouds in the warned area. Multiple roads now flooded.

I was at a lacrosse game and it started to pour in the  last quarter. from there, it started thundering and we had rolling thunder for most of the event. We got the tornado warning on our cell phones as I was pulling up the radar on a computer. I didn't see the hail but i heard it was pretty large.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT  
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BINGHAMTON NY  
654 PM EST SAT FEB 25 2017  

.TIME...   ...EVENT...      ...CITY LOCATION...     ...LAT.LON  

.DATE...   ....MAG....      ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE.  

..REMARKS..  

0240 PM     TSTM WND DMG     2 SSE DUPONT            41.30N 75.73W  
02/25/2017                   LUZERNE            PA   EMERGENCY MNGR     

POSSIBLE TORNADO. APPROXIMATELY 30 HOMES   
            DAMAGED, 2 WITH MAJOR DAMAGE. ROOFS OFF SOME   
            HOMES. LOTS OF TREES DOWN. SOME PEOPLE STILL   
            TRAPPED. NO INJURIES OR DEATHS REPORTED AS   
            OF THIS TIME.  

My students were live streaming lacrosse game near wilkes-barre. The school had made the decision to move the start time up an hour. Had they not moved the game start up an hour, the game would have been during the storm. the tornado warning was for that area. There is some reported damage in bear creek which is near Wilkes-barre. (being sick limits my ability to chase or get photos). 

Rick

I was busy yesterday afternoon and wasn't able to track anything but holy tornado video. Wasn't surprised to see a couple spin-ups and wind damage given the setup (posted about on Friday) but I didn't think there'd be one that strong. Lol the sight of a tornado off in the distance while there's sizable hail falling in Scranton/WB in late Feb... what a time to be alive.

15 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

I was busy yesterday afternoon and wasn't able to track anything but holy tornado video. Wasn't surprised to see a couple spin-ups and wind damage given the setup (posted about on Friday) but I didn't think there'd be one that strong. Lol the sight of a tornado off in the distance while there's sizable hail falling in Scranton/WB in late Feb... what a time to be alive.

Also saw this video (by Garret Bastardi), def at least a funnel/ good rotation. This was in Boalsburg (just east of State College).

http://www.statecollege.com/news/local-news/facebook-video-reportedly-shows-twister-in-boalsburg-area,1335635/

That video by Garret Bastardi is from June of 2013.

Archived