Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, canderson said:

Ok this wind is scary. I don't know what the gusts are but it just moved a dumpster. 

You think that's crazy just wait another 10 minutes (around 11:45pm) when the gusting winds over 40 mph reach you.  I just gusted to 45 at 11:24, and then gusted to 41 at 11:35. 

There are going to be many reports over 50 mph from around our area I am sure.  Also have flurries flying by horizontally.  Temp down to 38 after hitting 45 an hour ago.

Edit:  Another gust, to 43mph at 11:42pm.

I must live in an extremely sheltered location for the wind direction, because so far here, it's been a non-issue. My anemometer reads about half to two thirds of what an actual gust is, and so far the highest gust here was 13 mph on my station which would translate to approximately 20-25 mph.

51 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I must live in an extremely sheltered location for the wind direction, because so far here, it's been a non-issue. My anemometer reads about half to two thirds of what an actual gust is, and so far the highest gust here was 13 mph on my station which would translate to approximately 20-25 mph.

Count yourself fortunate. I thought the world was coming to an end overnight. Wind was downright scary. 

35 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Count yourself fortunate. I thought the world was coming to an end overnight. Wind was downright scary. 

Yeah, I guess I am. Friends of mine who live in more open locations posted on Facebook about the wind and how scary it was, and a driver friend of mine thought the wind was going to blow his truck over.

Looking at KMDT's hourly observations are interesting: http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KMDT.html

You can see the exact hour the front hit and how the winds haven't subsidized a bit since. Keep in mind MDT's sensor is at the base of a hill and blocked by wid gust peaks.

I wonder if the readings you get are so high due to the direction of the wind. It seems like a NW and especially NNW wind would be over the river for a nice amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

26 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

I wonder if the readings you get are so high due to the direction of the wind. It seems like a NW and especially NNW wind would be over the river for a nice amount of time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think so, I think they come down the mountain, hit the water, and build strength into the city due to the building heights. Like if you're in NYC in a storm you can see a massive difference depending on the avenue you're on.

My office is on Front Street so it gets direct exposure.

Archived