SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a neat little storm here. At midnight it was 42-43 degrees, 2 1/2 hours later it was 32-33 and a sleet snow mix for about 10 mins before moderate snow took over. 15 minutes after that it was 31 with thunder/lightning and heavy snow.
I'd say between 2:45 and 4:15 we probably received 4" I if not more of snow. 90 minutes basically made the storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

More warm air that collides with the cold air down here especially with this storm. Had about 3.5" here in Hershey definitely lost a couple of inches if not more from 1-3am. But I am not complaining not after this winter thus far. I felt a week or so ago we would be shut out. Nice little storm for all CPA. NYC to BOS getting rocked. It is about time for winter to arrive!

2 hours ago, sauss06 said:

it would strictly be a guess at between 4-5". I left the house before 5 this morning to come plow at work and clean our lots and there was no measuring. It was snowing and blowing that hard. 

I measured 5" but we would have had a lot more if not for the rain and the compacting.  Measured 7" on top of the car which wasn't as wet and heavy as what was on my board and in the yard.  Didn't have time to do a core sample to see liquid content but my rain gauge had overflowed with snow so won't get accurate liquid from melting there.  The warm air advection as the low was tracking east around midnight last night held 850mb temps up across MD/southern PA just long enough that York/etc just missed out on changeover during the peak rate period.

5.2" was the storm total this morning, what a heavy wet snowfall this was. Got all cleared off for the additional snow showers and squalls that have started to move in this afternoon.

That brings the seasonal total to 30.7" here, which is solidly ahead of last winter now. It hardly feels like it, because snowpack has not been lasting all that long this winter.. which will probably be the case again by the end of the weekend. 

1 hour ago, canderson said:

It did some weird jump it seems from Enola past LNS. MDT to the LNS area was a bit of a donut it looks like. Wonder what caused that.

Horst was talking about that too. Not sure why...my hopes were high, my expectations were very low. I'm always, always leery of changeover events down here. We just don't do 'em well very often. 

8 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Horst was talking about that too. Not sure why...my hopes were high, my expectations were very low. I'm always, always leery of changeover events down here. We just don't do 'em well very often. 

Agreed man. I feel the same. 

Nut. 

2 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

What is your seasonal total thus far? Seems like you've been doing pretty well. 

Havent had time this year to keep track (2 jobs) but it has been waaay better than last year for me.

I wouldnt call it a great winter but not bad...<---- winter is not over yet so that could change :)

Im probably right around what MAG has recorded...Maybe a little more with some squalls.

Good to see most of the forum got in on some snow. I definitely missed the bar in Lancaster Co. and went too high for there. I busted too low for Clearfield (I don't mind busting low lol), but I feel going a bit more conservative worked out well in this case. I'm actually sort of at odds of what in the hell happened to the GFS and Euro with this system. They both went way over in QPF across the entire NE sans New England, but no shocker there. It was a great forecasting challenge and many entered, but few won.  Hope there's a few more chances before Old man winter heads to bed for the remainder of the year. He hasn't been nearly as generous as last few years. 

49 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

Good to see most of the forum got in on some snow. I definitely missed the bar in Lancaster Co. and went too high for there. I busted too low for Clearfield (I don't mind busting low lol), but I feel going a bit more conservative worked out well in this case. I'm actually sort of at odds of what in the hell happened to the GFS and Euro with this system. They both went way over in QPF across the entire NE sans New England, but no shocker there. It was a great forecasting challenge and many entered, but few won.  Hope there's a few more chances before Old man winter heads to bed for the remainder of the year. He hasn't been nearly as generous as last few years. 

Agreed with the models. Such a consensus among them tugged me right in. Had there been more of a struggle amongst them it would have raised more of a flag but only at 18z did the first caution flag fly. 

Nut

Archived