Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, skiier04 said:

I was thinking the same thing. They really seem to have been ultra conservative this year. Last event they didnt even get an advisory posted until 5 hours after snow started here and the region got 3-5"

Then they also have this map posted, while the WWA text still says 2-5"...

Yea either way were facing down a decent event. I'm not too worried about the semantics of warning vs advisory in our area. If UNV doesn't get a verified warning it's likely going to be a high end advisory. Whether they decide to expand or ride is probably gonna hinge on how well things start off later this evening. 

And yea that last event with the late issued advisory I ended up verifying a warning (6.3") down here for that one haha. They didn't use my report. 

19 minutes ago, skiier04 said:

I was thinking the same thing. They really seem to have been ultra conservative this year. Last event they didnt even get an advisory posted until 5 hours after snow started here and the region got 3-5"

Then they also have this map posted, while the WWA text still says 2-5"...

SnowAmt_SFC16.png

CTPis always last to the dance. 

Nut

winter storm warning extended

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service STATE COLLEGE PA
555 PM EST Wed Feb 8 2017

PAZ019-025>028-042-045-046-049>053-091100-
/O.UPG.KCTP.WW.Y.0007.170209T0300Z-170209T1500Z/
/O.EXA.KCTP.WS.W.0002.170209T0300Z-170209T1500Z/
Southern Centre-Blair-Huntingdon-Mifflin-Juniata-Sullivan-
Southern Clinton-Southern Lycoming-Union-Snyder-Montour-
Northumberland-Columbia-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF State College, Altoona, Huntingdon,
Mount Union, Lewistown, Mifflintown, Laporte, Lock Haven,
Williamsport, Lewisburg, Selinsgrove, Danville, Sunbury,
Shamokin, Bloomsburg, and Berwick
555 PM EST Wed Feb 8 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THIS EVENING TO
10 AM EST THURSDAY...

The National Weather Service in STATE COLLEGE has issued a Winter
Storm Warning for snow......which is in effect from 10 PM this
evening to 10 AM EST Thursday. The Winter Weather Advisory is no
longer in effect.

* Rain late in the evening briefly mixes with sleet before
  quickly changing to snow late tonight.

* Heaviest snow from midnight into the predawn hours. Rates of 1
  to 2 inches per hour possible.

* Heaviest snow ends by daybreak with snow tapering off by mid
  morning.

* Total snow accumulation 5 to 7 inches.

* Hazardous travel conditions on snow covered roads with low
  visibility.

* Longer commute times Thursday morning with reduced speeds.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation reminds motorists
to adjust speeds based on driving conditions and to take it slow
in ice and snow.

&&

3 minutes ago, 2001kx said:

On the outside looking in...Not so sure of cashing in on the squalls.

Well I mean your still looking good haha, the new most likely snowmap they have out has 6" for Clearfield. Almost the southern half of the county is in 6"+. 

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

9 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Well I mean your still looking good haha, the new most likely snowmap they have out has 6" for Clearfield. Almost the southern half of the county is in 6"+. 

StormTotalSnowWeb1.png

Sorry for the weenie question but how can you find these maps from the CTP site? All I've been able to find is the images from the forecasts tab.

2 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Anyone able to interpret the following sounding?
IMG_0684.PNG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A nearly saturated column all the way to about 300mb (near the tropopause). The red lines on the left where the mb numbers are indicate omega (lift), which there looks to be plenty of from about 800mb all the way up through 400mb. The short portion of the red temp line that is yellow indicates where the dendritic growth zone is (-12 to -17C). The DGZ is within some decent omega, so one could expect some good snow growth. 800mb is where the warmest temps of the column reside (a few degrees below 0ºC, so the flakes could aggregate as well... something heavy_wx pointed out last night. 

5 minutes ago, skiier04 said:

Sorry for the weenie question but how can you find these maps from the CTP site? All I've been able to find is the images from the forecasts tab.

On the main CTP page mouse over the "Current Hazards" tab and select winter, and it'll take you to the page that has all the winter products. 

A nearly saturated column all the way to about 300mb (near the tropopause). The red lines on the left where the mb numbers are indicate omega (lift), which there looks to be plenty of from about 800mb all the way up through 400mb. The short portion of the red temp line that is yellow indicates where the dendritic growth zone is (-12 to -17C). The DGZ is within some decent omega, so one could expect some good snow growth. 800mb is where the warmest temps of the column reside (a few degrees below 0ºC, so the flakes could aggregate as well... something heavy_wx pointed out last night. 

Thank you MAG!

that was for Harrisburg area at 09Z from the 18Z NAM. Here is the 700mb vertical velocity for same time.

IMG_0685.PNG.d2642d13559080de4be2cf01f53

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

17 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

On the main CTP page mouse over the "Current Hazards" tab and select winter, and it'll take you to the page that has all the winter products. 

Actually if you scroll down the main page the winter weather icon will take you to the same place.

I think I low balled too much on my totals for in here. Numbers out in Ohio are promising. Maybe a tick up to whatever I have. Good luck to all my northern brethren. I'm hoping to see asteroids falling for a few hours to get my sloppy inch of paste down here. I'll be up for it thanks to overnights. Hope I have so company for later :) 

Archived