Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, kdskidoo said:

not sure what's going on with the water.  we had a plumber from Lock Haven there friday afternoon and he thinks we need a new well pump.  hopefully it's not the other option, low water level in the well.  I'll probably be heading up next week one day to get the repair work done, I'll see what's left up there at that time.  I really hope the longer range holds and we get a few more good storms this season, we need to make up for last year and the first part of this year.

do you have heat tape on well pipe to cabin?  Thats a must.  I've had mine frozen several times.  Heat tape.  Prob solved.  if pump is humming, its not the pump.  PM me if you need to chat so we dont clutter up the thread.

Nut

Ok red taggers and/or other knowlegable folks. What's the difference between 10:1 and Kuchera based ratios?

According to Pivotal Weather, at a 10:1 ratio I line up for a 10 inch snowfall, while the Kuchera ratio shows 15 inches. Which one is generally more accurate and why do the model pages show both?

Last post before zonking back out. GFS was a reassurance on snow potential around the subforum. The evolution was pure and was similar actually to the Euro, but more moisture laden which I mentioned last night that the Euro can underdo precip (Blizzard was prime example last year). It's looking great. Those of you from York on east, sharpen the shovels and get the Alieve. It's going to be a formidable paste bomb for southern tier. 

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Ok red taggers and/or other knowlegable folks. What's the difference between 10:1 and Kuchera based ratios?

According to Pivotal Weather, at a 10:1 ratio I line up for a 10 inch snowfall, while the Kuchera ratio shows 15 inches. Which one is generally more accurate and why do the model pages show both?

Kuchera ratios take into account the thermal layer above and not just the standard 10:1 conversion rate with regard to liquid. It's a complex algorithm that notes temps within the boundary layer and notable regions within the DGZ. The ratios up your way are higher on Kuchera given the increased dynamics and mid level forcing over the profile. Heavy really had a great write up using Bufkit analysis last night that interpreted the sounding and why ratios are higher in certain spots. Hope that helps. 

The Kuchera method takes into consideration the ratios that the model shows throughout the storm.  For example, we know the storm will transition from rain over to snow.  The water equivalent of the snow falling at the beginning will be less than 10:1.  However, the column is supposed to turn progressively colder throughout the storm all the way to the very end, with ratios increasing from 10:1 up to 12:1 up to 15:1.  If that is truly the way the storm plays out then the ratio will not be 10:1, but higher...meaning instead of 1" of liquid producing 10" of snow, the same liquid produces 12" of snow.  If it's 15:1 then the 1" of liquid produces 15" of snow.

(From an amateur's viewpoint, fwiw)

Just watching the mesoanalysis stuff this morning it is no surprise that some are finally seeing the spike to near 60 degrees with the 925mb analysis still relatively warm at the moment.  As noted with this 850mb analysis, and other images not included, the cold air push is on so now to see how far south and how fast it goes.

15z_meso_850T.jpg

Thanks Millville and Carlisle. That helps as I didn't really know the difference. The next question is, does Kuchera take account of a changing thermal profile, or is it fixed for the duration of the storm? I just find 15 inches a bit extreme, even though it'll probably cool faster and deeper up here than down south, considering how fast this storm is in and out of here.

3 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Thanks Millville and Carlisle. That helps as I didn't really know the difference. The next question is, does Kuchera take account of a changing thermal profile, or is it fixed for the duration of the storm? I just find 15 inches a bit extreme, even though it'll probably cool faster and deeper up here than down south, considering how fast this storm is in and out of here.

I think it is constantly recalculating the ratio for every incremental time period it is forecasting.  So, the ratio is constantly changing throughout the storm.  The final storm total represents what I think is simply the average ratio from the entire event, then applied to the total liquid forecast, to come up with the snowfall accumulation totals.

You can also calculate it in reverse by taking the snowfall total and dividing that by the liquid total to come up with the storm ratio.

9 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I think the answer is yes, as the thermal profiles change, I cant imagine a static valuation being applied to a thermal profile.  Thats how you get ratios.  Make sense?

Nut

2 minutes ago, canderson said:

Horts warns high bust potential and that the roadways are very, very warm.

This could be a deal where you have 5" on the roof and the road is just a slushfest.

He literally said this is one of the hardest storms to predict in over 30 years in the business...could be 1" or 10"...take your pick...

18 minutes ago, canderson said:

Horts warns high bust potential and that the roadways are very, very warm.

This could be a deal where you have 5" on the roof and the road is just a slushfest.

I really think the timing of this couldn't be any more ideal for the snow to accumulate.  If we were looking at a 1-3" event over say 6 hours then yes we likely wouldn't see much roadway accumulations due to a lack of quick enough cooling.  Rates at 1-2" or so an hour for a few hours during peak radiational cooling time will accumulate, especially since we are in early February and its not like we have been above freezing at night for a week plus (last night was first in Feb I didn't at least hit freezing mark at night).  Horst has much much more experience than me so I likely could end up very wrong lol, but I do think some others (not speaking on here) are acting like its going to be no big deal because its been warm the last few days which to me is silly.

This is like the blizzard of last year for us in NEPA. We are on the edge and we could get creamed or it could miss us. My point and click has me getting about 6.5 inches of snow. NWS is usually on the high side. most of the other forecasts have us at the 5 to 8 or 3 to 6 range.

Archived