Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA - February 2017

MAG5035

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mother Nature is a comic.

Here in Harrisburg we haven't gone below freezing in something like 9 days and it's rained every single one of them.

It'll finally get back to close to seasonal this weekend (in the 50s the next few days still) and next week and we won't be able to buy a drop of precip. It'll moderate enough when the next system comes in to bring rain.

What a year to be alive!

36 minutes ago, canderson said:

Mother Nature is a comic.

Here in Harrisburg we haven't gone below freezing in something like 9 days and it's rained every single one of them.

It'll finally get back to close to seasonal this weekend (in the 50s the next few days still) and next week and we won't be able to buy a drop of precip. It'll moderate enough when the next system comes in to bring rain.

What a year to be alive!

16 days this year with precipitation...remarkable. Even more remarkable is that it's almost entirely been rain. 

The models really struggled with this storm.

The dry slot really shut things off quickly & then the wrap around never made it south east of the mountains towards the LSV.

The Euro, NAM, GFS & Short term models all had 2-3 inches of snow at Harrisburg up until yesterday, but if certainly did not happen.

MDT is about 10 inches behind their year to date snow average. We need a good storm to get caught up. Hopefully the Euro weeklies are right with the good upcoming pattern look.

The 1.6" I got yesterday had been long melted by this morning here at the house, but just a quick drive today shows how elevational it was around here. The Allegheny front to the west and the ridge to the east here in the Altoona area are still completely white with at least a couple inches or so. 

This pic is less than a mile away from here, the higher accums weren't too far away haha. 

IMG_2094.JPG

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

The 1.6" I got yesterday had been long melted by this morning here at the house, but just a quick drive today shows how elevational it was around here. The Allegheny front to the west and the ridge to the east here in the Altoona area are still completely white with at least a couple inches or so. 

This pic is less than a mile away from here, the higher accums weren't too far away haha. 

IMG_2094.JPG

Same here mag...i had maybe 1.5" but just to my south east in Houtzdale (google maps shows them as 1700') they had  4-5" in a small area.

I didnt measure but it way more than we had in clearfield.

56 minutes ago, canderson said:

58, mostly sunny.

I'm not too impressed with the long range - we have a few bursts of cold but nothing but a few clippers that look to be weak. It then moderates in the middle of February and temps don't look favorable down here for anything frozen to my naked eye.

Just insane. Long range went from impressive cold with lots of snow potential to a few clippers normal cold, and then moderation. Right now, just pulling for a > 4" snow in Feb and Mar and then time for probably a cool/wet spring. The odds on this happening is even questionable.

I love all of the "winter's over" talk !

The Euro weeklies on Monday looked great & the CFS looks good for February for cold & snow potential.

Most of the great winter seasons that we remember well have most of the memorable weather take place in a 6 to 8 week window.

For example, in the 09-10 winter, we had the big storm around December 20th, & then almost no snow in January, but then we got the 2 great storms during the first 10 days of February. After that, the storm that hammered NYC & New England later in February missed CTP for the most part to the east. Winter was basically over for CTP after the 2 early February storms.

Maybe this year will feature a couple of big February storms, and then continue to produce snow through March?

13 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I love all of the "winter's over" talk !

The Euro weeklies on Monday looked great & the CFS looks good for February for cold & snow potential.

Most of the great winter seasons that we remember well have most of the memorable weather take place in a 6 to 8 week window.

For example, in the 09-10 winter, we had the big storm around December 20th, & then almost no snow in January, but then we got the 2 great storms during the first 10 days of February. After that, the storm that hammered NYC & New England later in February missed CTP for the most part to the east. Winter was basically over for CTP after the 2 early February storms.

Maybe this year will feature a couple of big February storms, and then continue to produce snow through March?

i don't want snow through March, Honestly! 

30 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i don't want snow through March, Honestly! 

I do.  March is a cold windy month.  Just make it white (since were just a hair late in getting it started) and then you can flick the warm switch in April.

I'm confused, as while the signals aren't overwehlmingly awesome for cold and snow, they are by far and away the best look we've seen all year...and people are punting and grumbly.  Just because the pattern has been largely CRAP, it IS still January.  A decent 6-8 week stretch would sooth alot of my/our souls...before I go back into warm weather hibernation mode.

Nut

Archived