Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

12 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Next year guys.  We are done.  Goose is cooked.  This won't turn around anytime soon.  We can write off this winter knowing we have had good run.  2017-18 is gonna be great.

We are 3 days away from the official start of winter and you are already giving up ???

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BristowWx said:

Next year guys.  We are done.  Goose is cooked.  This won't turn around anytime soon.  We can write off this winter {year} knowing we have had good run.  2017 is gonna be great.

Well, the good thing about it is that next year is only a couple of weeks away, Fixed it for you...lol. Seriously, you can't possibly know the outcome of the rest of winter. I will quote your post when we are looking at a HECS in mid-Jan.

1 hour ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

Well, the good thing about it is that next year is only a couple of weeks away, Fixed it for you...lol. Seriously, you can't possibly know the outcome of the rest of winter. I will quote your post when we are looking at a HECS in mid-Jan.

Won't be in Jan. Jan is 100% done. If we get winter weather it will have to wait until Feb 15 at least.

2 hours ago, mackerel_sky said:

Good stuff! Scientifically based! Comedy gold!

Lol just what I was thinking. Last year this time was absolutely horrible!  This year is not even close to last year. If I was looking at it right it looks like the 06Z GFS had moved towards the euro for the mid range trough. Sure we are not tracking winter storms yet but maybe sone need to take a break.

2 hours ago, packbacker said:

Come March when we look back at this winter are we going to say "we should have known the pattern would flip mid Jan".   Or are we going to say "we should have known this winter would suck".  

Because this could be the worst pattern to start off Jan in a long time.  

IMG_3461.PNG

Meh it looks zonal. Iv seen worst. This will change but personally I don't see full blown torch. 

Agree...we won't trust until mid-Jan but then when it starts showing a flip we can start trusting it.

Yeah, Day 10-15 has an amazing verification score, it should be taken as gospel no matter what it shows. See what I did there?

Anyway, I see no indications of a stellar pattern, but the EPS is stuggling Day 7, period.

I think we can safely say the EPS and GEFS have both sucked in the LR.  That seems pretty normal to me.  They've both shown sustained cold and warm patterns so far, and we've really ended up being at or slightly below normal so far.

The only things I feel comfortable concluding are that there is somewhat of a tendency for a SER and for the opposite of blocking to occur.  So far, this has not led to an outright sustained torch pattern, so that's good.  But lol at any winter pattern setting in for the foreseeable future regardless of what one or two runs of an ensemble suite shows.  The atmosphere is in a prove it to me mode...but that's just me.

1 hour ago, franklin NCwx said:

Until we get some blocking storms will cut and we will get brief cool downs behind the storms. 

Hopefully  we can get a change in the Pacific too. 

The mountains were supposed to clean up this winter with lots of NWF events, so far that hasn't worked out. We would have scored a pretty severe ice storm Friday night, if we had more abundant moisture, in the CAD regions.So as has been said ad nausium, we don't need blocking the to get wintry precip

Fronts coming through. Nice  rain shower heading into the 50s now. Top out at 64.

Ice on the way tommorrow. Got a sleet sounding for this. Rah at 40%. Well see where the front sets up shop tonight along the coast. Be nice to get the second advisory of the season and still be a week out from Christmas. Someone between i85 and i95 in NC could get a nice little suprise tommorrow. 

2 hours ago, burrel2 said:

I believe Cohen has created an excellent way to predict the AO. You simply predict the opposite of what his research found and you'll be right almost every year!

I'm rooting for lowest SAI advancement on record for the month of October next year... who's with me?

I hate to make fun of honest scientific effort even when it turns out wrong, but one might have to concur that the SAI theory has taken a beating the last few years.  I welcome any and all serious research into the AO, NAO, PNA etc.

34 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Maybe the cold snap Thursday- Sat and the devastating ice event Friday night and Saturday morning, was our front-load and the rest of the winter is toast?? I'm starting to sound like Pack and Shetley!? Maybe it won't snow until March, ala 2009! I'd wait for that, in a heartbeat! 8" of paste!

Don't lump me in with you...I sound nothing like that.  I am on board for a snowy back end.  1-2" for RDU, seems improbable now but it won't come end of Jan into Feb.

1 minute ago, cbmclean said:

I hate to make fun of honest scientific effort even when it turns out wrong, but one might have to concur that the SAI theory has taken a beating the last few years.  I welcome any and all serious research into the AO, NAO, PNA etc.

Snow cover ranks right up there with the wooly worm or whatever that animal is that sees its shadow.  

6 hours ago, packbacker said:

Come March when we look back at this winter are we going to say "we should have known the pattern would flip mid Jan".   Or are we going to say "we should have known this winter would suck".  

Because this could be the worst pattern to start off Jan in a long time.  

IMG_3461.PNG

4 hours ago, Met1985 said:

Meh it looks zonal. Iv seen worst. This will change but personally I don't see full blown torch. 

I don't know Met, that pattern has a lot of terrible in it

Archived