joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure how this is going to affect things. Strat stuff is above my head. Anyways here it is.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2459656/solar-storm-to-batter-earth-this-christmas-after-flare-shoots-from-massive-hole-in-the-sun/

Geomag spike is not good for -NAO, which is interesting considering some of today's model trends in that region

35 minutes ago, griteater said:

Geomag spike is not good for -NAO, which is interesting considering some of today's model trends in that region

Figures, right after I've jumped full bore on the gravy train for January. Sure models have no clue about a solar storm. But if 7 to 10 days from now they do a 180 and start advertising torch inside 5 days, I'll know the culprit. Bet the house this news mag sensationalized this event as well.

1 hour ago, NCSNOW said:

Not sure how this is going to affect things. Strat stuff is above my head. Anyways here it is.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2459656/solar-storm-to-batter-earth-this-christmas-after-flare-shoots-from-massive-hole-in-the-sun/

We haven't had a solar flare in a while. No clue how old those images are but the strongest flare we've seen in the past 3 days was only a B-class flare, very weak. 

goes-xray-flux.gif

That's possibly the most click-baity and poorly written article I've seen lately (not surprising given the source). We're inside a coronal hole but that has nothing to do with any solar flares. We hit G2 storming levels briefly yesterday but that's routine. The sun is extremely quiet right now as we head to solar min.

I have a feeling some modeling today or tomorrow will start spitting out some southern fantasy snows (the 10"+ type) just largely due to the pattern the GFS and others keep hinting at with the deep toughing and plenty of energy ejecting south. Eventually the model will hit and the forum will freak out...but it will be out past day 10. Sigh.

I'm confident in some cold New Year's Eve. Only question is does the -NAO develop and how far negative the EPO gets. If we can get some decent blocking that holds even for a day or two after the trough swings down, we can have possibly a solid week of troughing with the PV lobe swinging back around and in on itself. then who knows, maybe we get "stuck" in a decent -EPO for a while. The only issue with thinking about sustained troughing is king Euro says no on the means, but then again I don't believe the EPS is 100% correct as it continues to adjust towards its OP inside day 10. Keep in mind however a slight SER is favored on a majority of La Ninas and a slight SER doesn't always mean no snow, also.

We can have storms in the pattern modeled by the GFS Jan 1+. This is close to a best-case scenario for a La Niña year headed into January.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, mackerel_sky said:

Euro and 6z GFS were meh, at best! Pack, you were right! December will finis above normal, the Christmas/ after Christmas torch is fo real

That's been the pattern this year.  We get one or two days in a row of model runs showing favorable patterns setting up in the LR getting everyone excited, only to watch them evolve into meh patterns in subsequent runs.  Hopefully, we can start to see something nice work into the 5 day range so we can get excited for real.

40 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

That's been the pattern this year.  We get one or two days in a row of model runs showing favorable patterns setting up in the LR getting everyone excited, only to watch them evolve into meh patterns in subsequent runs.  Hopefully, we can start to see something nice work into the 5 day range so we can get excited for real.

It's better than the sweltering heat of August wouldn't you say? 

4 hours ago, packfan98 said:

Here you go, Jon.  Right on cue is the GFS parallel:

Nice, 12z GFS with a full fledged -EPO deep trough into east 1/01... 500mb vort map is strung out, but depending on what energy is under that trough & the phase, look out...could be looking at a threat for 1/01 if the s/w works out. Get ready for some wild fantasy looks!

11 minutes ago, Jon said:

Nice, 12z GFS with a full fledged -EPO deep trough into east 1/01... 500mb vort map is strung out, but depending on what energy is under that trough & the phase, look out...could be looking at a threat for 1/01 if the s/w works out. Get ready for some wild fantasy looks!

Sounds good! I need a 1/1 event, so I don't have to go back to work on 1/2!

Archived