Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

32 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yep, and even if we don't get a -AO it's important to remember a -EPO can overwhelm a +AO and can send cold and stormy our way...it wouldn't take much to overwhelm the flow if Day 10 works out on the models as advertised. Long range implications are very, very unknown right now and for those looking after truncation throughout the entire run to 384 - don't, you're wasting your time. Follow trends in the EPO. I've told people who have messaged me about watching the EPO specifically this winter when they've asked what index they should pay attention to...not worth eyeing the -NAO constantly when you have the type of game changer such as the EPO diving negative.

Question is how long will that SER or really its an Atlantic ridge give us fits.  Something is going to give...either the -EPO won't be as strong or the trough will shift towards central conus.  

The EPS is actually trying to connect the Atlantic ride to the AK ridge at the of its run.....where's the Homer Simpson gif salivating over a donut when you need it.  

Like the CFS flip too, sans the SER.

IMG_3537.PNG

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, jshetley said:

The 6z GFS says not many from SC to Miss will even go below freezing right through hour 384. Much of that area not even below 35 at all. Any winter weather will be from Tenn and the mountains of NC on to the north if this run is right. 

Why so cross on the merriest of seasons?  Come dine with us

19 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

Why so cross on the merriest of seasons?  Come dine with us

He always goes with the worst case scenario.  Always.  That's his internet schtick.  Don't ask him to break character.

Re: the EPO, I like it, but the thing to keep an eye on before getting too excited about it is that the tendency is for the core of the cold to get dumped into the Midwest, before slowly bleeding east. That can be fine and can lead to Miller B/mixy events for us, if other things cooperate also.  We need to make sure the SE/Atlantic ridge isn't too strong, as it will deflect the influence of the -EPO.  If we can truly get a -EPO, along with some blocking and a very weak to nonexistent SER, then we will likely have a very favorable pattern for wintry weather.

1 hour ago, Jon said:

Yep, and even if we don't get a -AO it's important to remember a -EPO can overwhelm a +AO and can send cold and stormy our way...it wouldn't take much to overwhelm the flow if Day 10 works out on the models as advertised. Long range implications are very, very unknown right now and for those looking after truncation throughout the entire run to 384 - don't, you're wasting your time. Follow trends in the EPO. I've told people who have messaged me about watching the EPO specifically this winter when they've asked what index they should pay attention to...not worth eyeing the -NAO constantly when you have the type of game changer such as the EPO diving negative.

The PNA, AO, and NAO looks to be heading near neutral in the LR. The EPO is going negative(or at least it looks to be going negative). Maybe that's all it needs. I mentioned a period we had a few years back where all we had on our side was the EPO and it was able to produce.  

22 minutes ago, Jon said:

CFSv2 on the other hand looks amazing...great trend heading into the new year, last few runs crucial as always.

summaryCFSv2.NaT2mProb.201701.gif

Oh baby. That's quite the (beautiful) turnaround by the CFS.

I'm trying to keep expectations tempered, but I'm digging the power of positivity in here today! 

Definitely rooting for the -EPO to dominate the pattern and a little help to shift those colder anomalies from the Midwest to the east. Sure we'd love help from the Atlantic, but at this stage in time, can we really depend on it?

Either way, the OVERALL TREND is...not bad...so we just gotta keep this mojo going! 

27 minutes ago, Jon said:

CFSv2 on the other hand looks amazing...great trend heading into the new year, last few runs crucial as always.

summaryCFSv2.NaT2mProb.201701.gif

Models are doing what they did in November with big swings. I really like the Euro. I know a lot of people are Doubting it but I think it sniffs this out. The GFS has been on hyperpole for quite some time in the mid to long range.

3 hours ago, packbacker said:

Question is how long will that SER or really its an Atlantic ridge give us fits.  Something is going to give...either the -EPO won't be as strong or the trough will shift towards central conus.  

The EPS is actually trying to connect the Atlantic ride to the AK ridge at the of its run.....where's the Homer Simpson gif salivating over a donut when you need it.  

Like the CFS flip too, sans the SER.

Pack, if we get that EPO ridge to connect over the top (which would be a -AO as well) would it shunt that central CONUS ridge on over to the eastern US? 

15 minutes ago, Jon said:

Yeah, tons of gulf moisture with this look at 500mb...

I dare someone to complain about this run.

8lfiCDh.png

doE9XNB.png

Easy.  Nice North Atlantic thumb ridge.  Too far east.  Will let storms move too far to the NW with high pressure too far north into Canada.  But that's just being picky at 10 days out! :D

Archived