Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid-Long Range Discussion 2016-2017

Cary_Snow95

33 minutes ago, pcbjr said:

Couldn't agree more, but that was/is not the point I was raising - it is again quick before and after, and any cold looks to be out after NY's Day or so, based on this run.

e.g., and go forward:

gfs_T2m_us_45.png

I had seen the whole run already before my previous post. I guess I misunderstood or misread your post and assumed you were only talking about NYE, not the days afterwards.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, pcbjr said:

Couldn't agree more, but that was/is not the point I was raising - it is again quick before and after, and any cold looks to be out after NY's Day or so, based on this run.

e.g., and go forward:

gfs_T2m_us_45.png

As we were looking at a death torch 2-3 days ago, a cold New Years, would be gravy! My avg high now is 50, I'll take normal all day, everyday!

25 minutes ago, WeatherNC said:

Single plane glass the 3rd through the 14th, just sayin...

And don't let anyone triple dog dare you to stick your tongue on the pane or else the GFS says it'll get stuck and you'll be calling the fire dept.

Good to see you pop in. Also I'd take Grit into any meteorology debate against anyone on this board. "He could tie half his brain behind his back just to make it fair" and still come out on top. 

We have a chance to get warm +5 tommorow thanks to clouds rolling in tonight and putting a halt to radiational cooling. Also next Tuesday has a chance, but that's bout it. Rest looks seasonal until January,  then we may be in for a suprise if models aren't rushing things. 

Bottom line is they where in fact playing hokus pokus on the big 2  week plus torch. Lucy has pulled the ball out again, but this time it worked in our favor. The consensus is really building up a head of steam now.

I wasn't impressed with the 0z GEFS. A quick, transient shot of cool or two and by the end of the run, still western trough and eastern ridge with a terribly positive NAO and negative PNA.

Op had some decent blocking over the top but it never really translated to anything storm wise. Still cutter city, which is disappointing.

EURO on the other hand is absolutely gorgeous. +PNA, -EPO, -AO from about 168hr through the end of the run. Just beautiful. No storm to show for it though. That'd only make sense for the SE. Ugly pattern = lots of rain, great pattern = cold and dry.

I wasn't impressed with the 0z GEFS. A quick, transient shot of cool or two and by the end of the run, still western trough and eastern ridge with a terribly positive NAO and negative PNA.

Op had some decent blocking over the top but it never really translated to anything storm wise. Still cutter city, which is disappointing.

EURO on the other hand is absolutely gorgeous. +PNA, -EPO, -AO from about 168hr through the end of the run. Just beautiful. No storm to show for it though. That'd only make sense for the SE. Ugly pattern = lots of rain, great pattern = cold and dry.

I wouldn't get discouraged, models are just now sniffing out the -EPO...I'm not even looking past day 10. There's no way to tell where the PV goes at this point. With PV elongation showing up in the LR on all stratosphere modeling, we are headed in what's likely to be a good January. We don't need a SSW event either and a full split to get the benefits. Whether or not we get storms is another thing though.

3fc57426def10339dff0c61f24642914.png

08b8db2dafb5e871d530c70388a4374c.png

Just check out that cold advancing east, incredible...and these are Jan 1st anomalies, keep that in mind. That's deep cold.

8 hours ago, NCSNOW said:

And don't let anyone triple dog dare you to stick your tongue on the pane or else the GFS says it'll get stuck and you'll be calling the fire dept.

Good to see you pop in. Also I'd take Grit into any meteorology debate against anyone on this board. "He could tie half his brain behind his back just to make it fair" and still come out on top. 

Nrgjeff says don't worry.  Thinks 1/10 - 1/15 may be the turning point for this winter. He had a great write up in the TN forum last night.  Talks high latitude blocking,  sends tingles up my leg. 

I'm actually liking the first week of January. Gfs for a couple days now has shown a lot of activity in that time frame. 500mb energy is much more aggressive come the first week of January and we are finally seeing some ridging and troughing across the US.

WATCH the system that u see down in Texas at hour 228 it's got a nice blob of energy to work with but is suppressed into oblivion. I promise you in 2-3 days it won't be suppressed anymore.  And might actually have some blocking to help it out. Gfs has hinted at this system more or less since it was in the 360 hr range. I like the looks so far given the normal model trends of less suppression.

lol I love how people complain when the models look horrible and when they show signs of improving, still complain .

the fact Is the ridging that's now showing over Alaska just started showing in the last few days and now we are seeing it extend poleward . couldn't really ask for a better flip at this point . let's all remember it wasn't but a few days ago and the talk was 2-3 week warmth.

as Jon pointed put the epo is just now getting sniffed out . then we have lag time with downstream Impacts. I still think things are being rushed as we see the models do this ever wintet.

regardless, it's nice seeing changes across the northern hemisphere across op runs and ensembles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, bhamwx205 said:

lol I love how people complain when the models look horrible and when they show signs of improving, still complain .

the fact Is the ridging that's now showing over Alaska just started showing in the last few days and now we are seeing it extend poleward . couldn't really ask for a better flip at this point . let's all remember it wasn't but a few days ago and the talk was 2-3 week warmth.

as Jon pointed put the epo is just now getting sniffed out . then we have lag time with downstream Impacts. I still think things are being rushed as we see the models do this ever wintet.

regardless, it's nice seeing changes across the northern hemisphere across op runs and ensembles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yep, and even if we don't get a -AO it's important to remember a -EPO can overwhelm a +AO and can send cold and stormy our way...it wouldn't take much to overwhelm the flow if Day 10 works out on the models as advertised. Long range implications are very, very unknown right now and for those looking after truncation throughout the entire run to 384 - don't, you're wasting your time. Follow trends in the EPO. I've told people who have messaged me about watching the EPO specifically this winter when they've asked what index they should pay attention to...not worth eyeing the -NAO constantly when you have the type of game changer such as the EPO diving negative.

2 hours ago, jshetley said:

The 6z GFS says not many from SC to Miss will even go below freezing right through hour 384. Much of that area not even below 35 at all. Any winter weather will be from Tenn and the mountains of NC on to the north if this run is right. 

It's wet, so you can't use the drought rants, so you've moved on to new material! I like it , keep up the good work!

Archived