Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/17/16 Snow->sleet/fzra->rain obs

Ralph Wiggum

Be like what? Calling it what it is?  

But u didn't really. U made one maybe 2 posts here since Tuesday sating something like brief snow to plain rain, next. I'm still below freezing and still have fzra attm. Nobody said major ice storm, I think most of us agreed there was icing potential and not just a black and white snow to rain situation. I wish you would discuss more and not just pop in once in a while to boast. You used to have decent input leading up to storms and not the one-line posts then the pat yourself on the shoulder stuff.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite a few accidents out there in Mont County: http://tinyurl.com/zx3e4lb

Traffic Incidents
Incident No. Incident Type Incident
Sub Type
Incident Location Municipality Dispatch Time
P16658682 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         RT309 OVERPASS & PAPER MILL RD SPRINGFIELD 2016-12-17
09:54:57
P16658681 ROAD OBSTRUCTION         QUARRY RD & UPPER MAINLAND RD LOWER
SALFORD
2016-12-17
09:55:25
P16658679 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         FORD DR & GRANT AVE HATFIELD
TOWNSHIP
2016-12-17
09:54:52
P16658678 HAZARDOUS ROAD CONDITIONS         RIGHTERS MILL RD & FORD LOWER
MERION
2016-12-17
09:54:34
P16658671 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         W LANCASTER AVE & ARDMORE AVE LOWER
MERION
2016-12-17
09:43:11
P16658666 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         PENNSYLVANIA TPKE & ALLENDALE RD ACCESS GATE UPPER
MERION
2016-12-17
09:37:27
P16658663 HAZARDOUS ROAD CONDITIONS         N ROBERTS RD & RR OVERPASS LOWER
MERION
2016-12-17
09:35:12
P16658657 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         BRYN TYDDYN DR & ALOHA LN LOWER
MERION
2016-12-17
09:36:48
P16658653 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         BARREN HILL RD & SCARLET OAK DR WHITEMARSH 2016-12-17
09:27:46
P16658649 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         KAUFFMAN RD & WENDY DR LOWER
POTTSGROVE
2016-12-17
09:23:34
P16658636 DISABLED VEHICLE         RT309 EXPY & SUMMIT AVE OVERPASS UPPER
DUBLIN
2016-12-17
09:15:25
P16658634 ROAD OBSTRUCTION         BALLIGOMINGO RD & DEHAVEN ST UPPER
MERION
2016-12-17
09:15:03
P16658630 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         SCHOOLHOUSE RD & CRESCENT LN FRANCONIA 2016-12-17
09:13:02
P16658619 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         W BEIDLER RD & SHARON CT UPPER
MERION
2016-12-17
09:10:26
P16658618 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         W BEIDLER RD & SHARON CT UPPER
MERION
2016-12-17
09:10:14
P16658616 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         LIMEKILN PIKE & SILVER OAK PL HORSHAM 2016-12-17
09:07:47
P16658598 VEHICLE ACCIDENT         SUMNEYTOWN PIKE & RIDGE RD UPPER
SALFORD
2016-12-17
09:12:01

2 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Back edge of precipitation into Western Montco and NW Bucks. Still below freezing many areas N and W of PHL. The race is on to see if round 1 this am can truly transition over to plain rain. As always, these systems usually take longer to scour out the low level cold.

Probably won't. I'm at 31.1F and the back edge of precip for Rd 1 is on my door.

Probably won't. I'm at 31.1F and the back edge of precip for Rd 1 is on my door.

You are correct. Precip cut off here in Blue Bell and 31F. Classic situation....very 1994- esque quite honestly. Hopefully we don't see these scenarios as we head deeper into winter. Kind of early in the season for this stuff. That record 500mb height anomaly definitely aided this scenario. Again, that weak slp off NJ was also a player.

Made a post in the deleted obs thread earlier saying that we had about 1/2" of snow/sleet, then light freezing rain by about 6:30 with 28F temp. I did manage to make a snow pile however, small (3' high) but with a lot of mass. We'll see how long it can last. The freezing rain is rough on the bamboo. Just got to 33F here.

Snow-Pile-12-17-16.jpg

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

We were 100% sleet by 6:30am after about an inch of pure snow. Still mostly to all sleet (haven't been outside in awhile). I just hope it warms up enough to melt the snow off my trailer or I'll be blowing chunks going down the freeway tomorrow. Not safe I know, but neither is climbing up on a 13 foot high trailer, unrestrained, with a shovel...

www.amazon.com/Classic-White-Vomit-Barf-Bags (not an actual link). Couldn't resist....

Sounds like it should warm up enough overnight and tomorrow morning so that it might not be a problem.

8 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Made a post in the deleted obs thread earlier saying that we had about 1/2" of snow/sleet, then light freezing rain by about 6:30 with 28F temp. I did manage to make a snow pile however, small (3' high) but with a lot of mass. We'll see how long it can last. The freezing rain is rough on the bamboo. Just got to 33F here.

Snow-Pile-12-17-16.jpg

If we had a massive freeze tonight (single digits) that would be a friggin brick come Sunday morning and wouldn't melt till June...

10 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Snow-Pile-12-17-16.jpg

Good mound! :clap:  You might still have enough left even with rain forecast for tomorrow, for it to become a glacier after fropa tomorrow night and cold Monday/Monday night.

4 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

If we had a massive freeze tonight (single digits) that would be a friggin brick come Sunday morning and wouldn't melt till June...

3 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Good mound! :clap:  You might still have enough left even with rain forecast for tomorrow, for it to become a glacier after fropa tomorrow night and cold Monday/Monday night.

Thanks! And agreed. My goal is to have something left by Christmas. Is it cheating if I cover it with a tarp for a day or two later next week in case of a warm rain? :o

2 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Yeah, the thing is it's not snow. It's like a big mound of ice...super dense. When it freezes, it's a rock. It's a good foundation to place future snow events on.  

9 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Yeah, the thing is it's not snow. It's like a big mound of ice...super dense. When it freezes, it's a rock. It's a good foundation to place future snow events on.  

Definitely.  Even if it gets covered with 1/2" of snow later, no one would know the difference (unless someone or something tries to leap into it)! :D  Maybe get a chainsaw on it and make an ice sculpture.

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Feel kinda bad for people with grounded flights at PHL International after a few folks here guaranteed no ice and no delays. Smh.

????

why does it matter what people told them?  They still would need to be at the airport for their flight.  It's not like this is the apocalypse 

BTW up to 32.9 here.  Was below freezing for several hours during moderate fzra, and, as I said, no real bad icing over 4 hours.  

4 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

In your area, yes. N and W of PHL icing situation most of the morning. I dont think anyone expected this to be a huge snowmaker and everyone pretty much expected a changeover. The icing wasnt really well-modeled until the short range guidance came into play tho.

The icing was poorly modeled by short range guidance in the end as the models printed out 0.2-0.3.  We probably didn't even see 0.1" of accretion 

Archived