• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
12/18/16 Arctic Front/Severe Storms/Ice/Sleet/Snow event.

John1122

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Power going on and off here in the strong winds. Several friends are completely in the dark. It's probably gusted over 50 a few times. Temp keeps rising, now up to 67. May get 70 here before the front passes.

We got to 75 or 76 at just before 8pm. Now, it's 33!

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

I notice that many areas in North AL and Middle TN are in the 70s. Won't it take a while for things to freeze even after it goes below freezing due to how warm it is now ?

Not if it gets into the 20s. I'm having a hard time believing that we don't have major travel problems in the AM. When, exactly, is all this drying supposed to occur?

Hopefully, I'm wrong about that but I think the "pavement is too warm" thing quits applying at about 28F.

Sent from my SM-G900R7 using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Snowless in Carrollton said:

I notice that many areas in North AL and Middle TN are in the 70s. Won't it take a while for things to freeze even after it goes below freezing due to how warm it is now ?

Not on elevated surfaces. Plus this was only a short warm up after this area spent around 36 hours below freezing and the ground is wet and therefore not as warm. It will also depend on p-type. Sleet sticks easier and melts more slowly and ZR or snow.

The front is now on the Plateau. Temp falls about 10 degrees per hour behind it.  Currently Jackson is reporting freezing rain, Tunica Mississippi is reporting snow, Fort Campell is freezing rain. Nashville is down to 42. 

67 was my peak, a rain shower popped up and it's backed down to 63 here.  The big cold fronts always have that big warm push. It was in the 20s all day Thursday and didn't get above freezing until around 5 pm Friday. Then the next 28 hours saw a 34 degree rise. We'll probably drop 34 in the next 10-12 hours.

Archived