Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Thread for 12/14 potential dusting, arctic air, and 12/17 potential slop

North Balti Zen

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Yeoman said:

What makes people go out and drive in this?

Those are long haul truckers that can't stop for bad weather.  I've been working in public safety for some time now, and that's one of the most impressive videos I've ever seen.  When you get truckers jumping out of their rig and just giving it up to the fire, you know it's bad.

3 hours ago, Amped said:

In hindsight this was actually a  decent ZR setup.   Surface had been well below freezing for over 24hrs and was in the upper 20s with low dewpoints when the precip started.  Any liquid that fell on the roads was instantly going to turn to black ice. Would have been a lot worse if this had occurred during a rush hour or travel day.

If this was a Sunday night into Monday morning situation, it would've hell.

31 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I like what the GFS is cooking up next weekend.  Although I am not sure how it would end up.   1040 plus high in the lakes and deep gulf low battling it out on Xmas late day.  Interesting look

It's a terrible setup for snow. 

gfs_z500_vort_us_33.png

The only thing keeping it from a faster moving cutter is modeled hp @ 1040+. Which is suspect at best. SE ridge alive and well on the run. 

16 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

gfs_z500_vort_us_33.png

The only thing keeping it from a faster moving cutter is modeled hp @ 1040+. Which is suspect at best. SE ridge alive and well on the run. 

I like anything weather that is remotely interesting or strange.  Even if it's not snow it beats tracking nothing as you know our time to hunt is limited and who knows it might turn into something or not

14 minutes ago, Mburgwx said:

We went from Martinsburg where we live to Strasburg, VA and the temp rose from 32 to 55.  Our steep driveway is still covered in ice.

Very elevation dependent. I'm at 33 while camp david at 1800ft is at 46f, after the 175mph wind gust at 10:25 this morningB)

57 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

gfs_z500_vort_us_33.png

That high, even if real, is a runner with zero blocking. Add in the SE ridge and its a cutter for sure. Pattern remains crap for snow in our area. I am hoping the potential NYE storm can be a decent snow producer for the Highlands of WV and W MD. Might be heading in that direction during that time frame.

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Some wild temps around.  KOKV hit 43.  I never went above 33.6 today.  Just to the south of Winchester temps made the low 50's.

Seems like the temperatures align with the area that accumulated sleet. The winds have remained calm all day so low level, ice covered ground has stayed colder than those without. Should mix out as SW winds kick up ahead of the frontal boundary. 

IMG_2945.PNG

There is *new* ice now forming on stone portions of the sidewalk here in a dip in elevation--- the stone is still below freezing even the air temp is just a touch above. The grass is still covered with the sleet/ice mix.

The temp bust in MD even in the Hi-Res modeling is pretty phenomenal... we're talking hours and hours after the spike in temperature was supposed to happen. 

Currently 31.8 here on the Mason Dixon Line.  High of 32.4.  Serious temperature bust.  Our back roads are still a mess.  Mostly sleet and zr fell.  Thick crust of ice that seems to really insulate the frigid ground.  It's getting foggy but the warm air above is just not really reaching the surface.

Love the microclimate stuff going on right now. High point in Clarksburg is 700' around 1/2 mile from my house. It's 42F there. Here at my house in a little hollow at 570' on Parr's Ridge, it's 33.1F with a completely calm wind, a degree off of the high for the day. 

I tend to to geek out about this stuff as I visualize the physics going on. My wife says I am a nerd...

12 minutes ago, das said:

Love the microclimate stuff going on right now. High point in Clarksburg is 700' around 1/2 mile from my house. It's 42F there. Here at my house in a little hollow at 570' on Parr's Ridge, it's 33.1F with a completely calm wind, a degree off of the high for the day. 

I tend to to geek out about this stuff as I visualize the physics going on. My wife says I am a nerd...

You can see it on wundeground stations. >10F differences in adjacent stations all around the area, even taking out the ones that are usually outliers.

• WxUSAF unpinned and pinned this topic
  • WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived