Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Dec 17-18 Front End Snow/Ice/Rain Event

dmillz25

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I'm shocked at the lack of users following this...NYC area has a good chance at half a foot or more 

You lead the way with the dusting this past weekend (yes you people got more) showing so much promise, everyone jumped on board even though it was clearly going to be DOA for most posters sake here, now a legitimate threat and no one bats an eye. Go figure lol

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I'm shocked at the lack of users following this...NYC area has a good chance at half a foot or more 

I'd be shocked if that happened.  I would be more liking that possibility if that high was positioned to the northeast.  That is the only piece missing IMO right now for this to have a shot at getting into that range.   In the last 30 years I can only remember 3-4 SWFEs that switched over to rain or drizzle where NYC had over 6 inches.  All of them had the high over New England.

Haven't been paying much attention since I will be in Florida but it looks like on the GFS the warm tongue arrives in the city at 16z Saturday. From what I can tell, the 925mb freezing line only makes it about as far NW as the Rockland/Orange County line. By then, precip is shutting off anyway.

8 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I'd be shocked if that happened.  I would be more liking that possibility if that high was positioned to the northeast.  That is the only piece missing IMO right now for this to have a shot at getting into that range.   In the last 30 years I can only remember 3-4 SWFEs that switched over to rain or drizzle where NYC had over 6 inches.  All of them had the high over New England.

Exactly, and I think it's exactly what your seeing, notice the trend of the H 

Most recent, to oldest

IMG_0795.PNGIMG_0792.PNGIMG_0793.PNG

Its actually worse than I thought.  Only 1 SWFE since 1985 has NYC gotten over 6.  Maybe I missed one somewhere.  That was December 1990.  12/84, 1/89, and 12/03 all fell just short although many places in the area reported 6.  1/99 also had a few places get over 6 and was close.  That shows you how hard it is to get over that 5-5.5 mark with these things.

2 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Its actually worse than I thought.  Only 1 SWFE since 1985 has NYC gotten over 6.  Maybe I missed one somewhere.  That was December 1990.  12/84, 1/89, and 12/03 all fell just short although many places in the area reported 6.  1/99 also had a few places get over 6 and was close.  That shows you how hard it is to get over that 5-5.5 mark with these things.

12/5/05 was close

It's funny, I was just thinking about the dec 90 storm. They were forecasting 1-3" that morning and eventually had to issue warnings for 4-6 and ewr ended up with close to 8. Of course it warmed up and was gone 2 days later

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, donsutherland1 said:

These systems can be a little tricky. So far, things are looking nice. Hopefully, the guidance will remain relatively consistent over the next day or so ahead of the event.

After being shut out 2 Decembers in a row 2 to 4 inches will feel like a warning event. I hope not too much ice with this.

8 hours ago, SnowGoose69 said:

In the Feb 2008 SWFE, Central Park got 6.0"...areas to the north like POU had 10"..

Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

My only fear on this event is virga, we've seen it time and time again. Precip is delayed up to 2-3 hours while the air saturates... dew points are in the single digits in some spots and teens by the shore 

I haven't checked soundings yet today on new guidance, but when I looked yesterday this once again looked like an event with little to no virga, similar to this past Sunday.  The only reason that event even had any virga was the precip was insanely light and sparse, otherwise it would have reached the ground even earlier.  This coming event on yesterday's models had no huge dry nose evident in the 650-900mb later at all, only dry at the surface.  That can be overcome quickly if you are saturated down to 6-8,000 feet before any precip arrives. 

Some AO stats (December 1-14):

Average: +0.552

% Days > 0: 57%

% Days +1.000 or above: 50%

% Days < 0: 43%

% Days -1.000 or below: 7%

The AO is forecast to rise to +2.000 or above in the medium-range and possibly +3.000 or above. This outcome coupled with the failure for strong blocking to develop suggests that the probability of a blocky winter relative to climatology has diminished. There could still be periods with strong blocking, but a blocky winter overall now appears less likely. In short, we'll probably need help from the Pacific to maximize our opportunities for cold and snow. This does not mean that winter is over and should not be interpreted in such fashion.

Archived