joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NYC Metro Snow Total YTD

dmillz25

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As of 4 PM, Central Park had measured 4.3" of snow.  As of 7 PM, they measured 5.0", so you're telling me just 0.7" fell in that time span when 0.11" qpf fell. With todays ratios that's impossible.

In that same time span, LGA had 1.7", EWR had 1.5" and JFK had 1.9". But only 0.7" for KNYC? Obviously the Conservancy is asleep at the controls again and no one at the NWS is taking notice or gives a sh!t. Just ridiculous.

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

As of 4 PM, Central Park had measured 4.3" of snow.  As of 7 PM, they measured 5.0", so you're telling me just 0.7" fell in that time span when 0.11" qpf fell. With todays ratios that's impossible.

In that same time span, LGA had 1.7", EWR had 1.5" and JFK had 1.9". But only 0.7" for KNYC? Obviously the Conservancy is asleep at the controls again and no one at the NWS is taking notice or gives a sh!t. Just ridiculous.

there is always a question with every storm from CP...it ruins 145 years of record...it's a disgrace...

10 hours ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

10 hours ago, uncle W said:

there is always a question with every storm from CP...it ruins 145 years of record...it's a disgrace...

It is a disgrace, and they never seem to pay attention or for that matter care. In the last few years they have adjusted totals on some blatant under counts usually several days after the fact. Since this one is again very obvious maybe they'll do the same. Of course that doesn't solve the poblem for the next storm.

The song remains the same.

37 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Liar!!  I only have 11.0"!!  Just kidding.  Here's an oddity.  For yesterday's storm, I had 4.75" on my car top, which I park next to the house, but had 5.25" on my back deck table, which I had cleared after the Friday morning snow.  I usually check the car and the table in non-windy storms and they're usually very close - this was the biggest discrepancy I can recall.  Thinking that maybe my car, parked within a foot or two of the north side of our house, got "blocked" a bit.  In windy situations, I have a large, fenced in, fairly quiescent back yard that works, cause the table and car won't hold much snow in the wind. 

Some fun with numbers.  There is probably a million things wrong with doing it this way, but I compared the previous 21 seasons at Smithtown with this current winter and there is lots of fodder for the rose colored glasses.

So far this winter we've had 15.9" of snowfall.  Just because it was easier, I looked at seasons that featured at least 15.9" of snowfall through the end of January.  

• 11 winters had at least 15.9" through the end of January
  • 10 winters had less than 15.9" through the end of January.  
  • The 11 winters that had 15.9" or more snowfall through the end of January averaged 59.9" total snowfall.  
  • The 10 winters with less through the end of January averaged 17.1" total.

What this means is absolutely nothing.  Or you can assume we are in for another 60" winter.  But it's a pretty cool misuse of statistics.

You can play with the numbers yourself; there's probably a slick way to use stats to infer an ice age is beginning:

http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateData/SmithtownDailySnowfall.pdf

9 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

Some fun with numbers.  There is probably a million things wrong with doing it this way, but I compared the previous 21 seasons at Smithtown with this current winter and there is lots of fodder for the rose colored glasses.

So far this winter we've had 15.9" of snowfall.  Just because it was easier, I looked at seasons that featured at least 15.9" of snowfall through the end of January.  

• 11 winters had at least 15.9" through the end of January
  • 10 winters had less than 15.9" through the end of January.  
  • The 11 winters that had 15.9" or more snowfall through the end of January averaged 59.9" total snowfall.  
  • The 10 winters with less through the end of January averaged 17.1" total.

What this means is absolutely nothing.  Or you can assume we are in for another 60" winter.  But it's a pretty cool misuse of statistics.

You can play with the numbers yourself; there's probably a slick way to use stats to infer an ice age is beginning:

http://www.northshorewx.com/ClimateData/SmithtownDailySnowfall.pdf

My college Stats professor did say "The numbers don't lie but you can make them say anything."  Cheers to a 60" season!

Archived