Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NYC Metro Snow Total YTD

dmillz25

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, jm1220 said:

47-48” in Long Beach, didn’t get a chance to measure this morning before I had a hellish commute, but had to have at least 3-4” then and it was pounding. 

Looks like JFK undermeasured again at 3.7

I'm putting it down as 6" here and 56" on the season.

I was looking at old pictures of April 2003 that I took and the amount was comparable with this storm.

14 hours ago, Paragon said:

Looks like JFK undermeasured again at 3.7

I'm putting it down as 6" here and 56" on the season.

I was looking at old pictures of April 2003 that I took and the amount was comparable with this storm.

I had 50.5” and I put yesterday down for 5.5” so 56” also. Pretty cool that we are at the same number and we are both south shore Nassau. 

5 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I had 50.5” and I put yesterday down for 5.5” so 56” also. Pretty cool that we are at the same number and we are both south shore Nassau. 

I wasn’t around for the end so I wasn’t able to measure, but I’ll go with 5.5” which brings me to 47.5”. The marginal conditions in early March really shafted me a couple times. But double the average is absolutely nothing to complain about. 

3 hours ago, jm1220 said:

I wasn’t around for the end so I wasn’t able to measure, but I’ll go with 5.5” which brings me to 47.5”. The marginal conditions in early March really shafted me a couple times. But double the average is absolutely nothing to complain about. 

I used to get jealous back when I read about how amazing the winters were around the turn of the 20th century and how every 30 year climo average was over 30 inches of snow until about the 1920s.  Well the good old days are back :P  I was thinking about what I would consider a really good snowfall season for us- and I think it's 40"  As long as we get 40" of snow we have nothing to complain about.  Even 30" is okay but 40"+ is definitely in the A class for snowfall seasons.

A minor gripe would be no 20"+ HECS type snowfalls, but getting a substantial snowfall in April makes up for that.

9 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Yeah and it's funny how a few weeks ago we were talking about temps nearly hitting 80 degrees in some areas nearby in February.  These April snowstorms and more possibilities of snowfall in April make me feel like this isn't even really April.  Even the usual "it can't snow in April" and sun angle people have been really quiet lately.  

I hope we get that el nino and this kind of NAO blocking next winter.  I remember reading there being a connection between late season snowfalls and el ninos and late season strong blocking patterns and the same block redeveloping the following winter.

On 4/3/2018 at 5:37 AM, Paragon said:

That seems to be the highest I can find on Long Island, does anyone have the official numbers from BNL?  Brookhaven Lab usually has the highest snowfall numbers.

ISP is at 65, i think BNL is close to 70. Joe Cioffi in Centereach said he had 70" before this week's snowfall, so he is likely mid 70s out there. @Jefflaw77 in Dix Hills is also reporting mid 70s, he somehow jackpotted big time all winter. 

ISP being at 65 on the south shore indicates that there may be some areas on the north shore at or above 75". Probably somewhere in the Kings Park, to Port Jeff, to Miller Place vicinity. Suffolk County from Port Jeff west has gotten slammed all winter. 

12 hours ago, psv88 said:

ISP is at 65, i think BNL is close to 70. Joe Cioffi in Centereach said he had 70" before this week's snowfall, so he is likely mid 70s out there. @Jefflaw77 in Dix Hills is also reporting mid 70s, he somehow jackpotted big time all winter. 

ISP being at 65 on the south shore indicates that there may be some areas on the north shore at or above 75". Probably somewhere in the Kings Park, to Port Jeff, to Miller Place vicinity. Suffolk County from Port Jeff west has gotten slammed all winter. 

Thanks, that area has some elevation and is closer to the north shore but still safely away from the Sound and seems to be a local hotspot for snowfall (I see that on Ed's-northshorewx's- yearly snowfall maps too.)  Miller Place to around Mt Sinai.  Don't we have a co-op in Mt Sinai? I'd love to see their snowfall records.

8 hours ago, Paragon said:

Thanks, that area has some elevation and is closer to the north shore but still safely away from the Sound and seems to be a local hotspot for snowfall (I see that on Ed's-northshorewx's- yearly snowfall maps too.)  Miller Place to around Mt Sinai.  Don't we have a co-op in Mt Sinai? I'd love to see their snowfall records.

There is a mesonet site in Stonybrook

On April 4, 2018 at 4:00 PM, psv88 said:

ISP came out ahead of BNL this season. 

ISP...65.9"

BNL..55.2"

https://www.bnl.gov/weather/4cast/MonthlySnowfall.htm

Upton                  4.3  1030 AM  4/02  NWS Office

ISP is at 65, i think BNL is close to 70. Joe Cioffi in Centereach said he had 70" before this week's snowfall, so he is likely mid 70s out there. [mention=748]Jefflaw77[/mention] in Dix Hills is also reporting mid 70s, he somehow jackpotted big time all winter. 

Yeah, as I mentioned in the other thread, just a hair over 76” in Port Jeff Station. We’ve been a snow magnet over here the last decade or so. No complaints.

Archived