Newest Member
    Dano62
NYC Metro Snow Total YTD

dmillz25

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, L.I.Pete said:

There's a pic of a young woman and what I can only assume is an elephant member or a telephone pole in the top thread pic on Tapatalk.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Someone had spammed the threads a while back (over a month). It was all deleted, and its not showing up on mobile or on the computer. Is there a way to clear cookies on tapatalk or something? 

12 hours ago, Isotherm said:

26.9". Not bad considering we furnaced. Need a couple more for average here.

Interesting dichotomy with the snowfall.  According to the NWS 20-25" is normal for NYC South and 25-30" for NYC North.  Most of our area got 30"-35" (actually around 36") and the north shore of LI got 40-45".  The snowfall and average temps weren't actually that different from last year.  The big difference was the one big storm we had last winter.

On 3/19/2017 at 7:12 PM, nzucker said:

Think we'll get it?

Northwestern areas and those N of NYC may receive a couple more inches (e.g., your area). I'm less optimistic for the city southward, but it's possible, depending upon the evolution of the next jet extension and the resultant NPAC configuration. 

11 hours ago, Paragon said:

Interesting dichotomy with the snowfall.  According to the NWS 20-25" is normal for NYC South and 25-30" for NYC North.  Most of our area got 30"-35" (actually around 36") and the north shore of LI got 40-45".  The snowfall and average temps weren't actually that different from last year.  The big difference was the one big storm we had last winter.

My 30 year running average is up to an impressive 31.2" (not including this year yet). 1980-2010 average of 28.9". The past 17 years have been excellent insofar as boosting averages in the I-95 corridor NJ-BOS. PHL southwestward hasn't done as well though; the steep gradient has generally been around 40N. Same story this winter. Near to above normal from CNJ northward and much below normal south of 40N.

4 hours ago, Isotherm said:

Northwestern areas and those N of NYC may receive a couple more inches (e.g., your area). I'm less optimistic for the city southward, but it's possible, depending upon the evolution of the next jet extension and the resultant NPAC configuration. 

My 30 year running average is up to an impressive 31.2" (not including this year yet). 1980-2010 average of 28.9". The past 17 years have been excellent insofar as boosting averages in the I-95 corridor NJ-BOS. PHL southwestward hasn't done as well though; the steep gradient has generally been around 40N. Same story this winter. Near to above normal from CNJ northward and much below normal south of 40N.

High Point NJ has 72.1" ytd. Just N of there into Orange county 70-75" is widespread

28 minutes ago, snywx said:

High Point NJ has 72.1" ytd. Just N of there into Orange county 70-75" is widespread

hey I wanted to pick your brain about the 80s-early 90s snow climate, when we were talking about the different storm tracks.  What was your average seasonal snowfall from that time period?

43 minutes ago, Paragon said:

hey I wanted to pick your brain about the 80s-early 90s snow climate, when we were talking about the different storm tracks.  What was your average seasonal snowfall from that time period?

Im originally from the Bronx brother.. My folks moved up to OC in 95 and I followed them in 98. One thing I do remember are storms with an actual R/S line. These days its snows throughout the event right to the coast. That usually spells trouble for those NW.

21 minutes ago, snywx said:

Im originally from the Bronx brother.. My folks moved up to OC in 95 and I followed them in 98. One thing I do remember are storms with an actual R/S line. These days its snows throughout the event right to the coast. That usually spells trouble for those NW.

Thanks, I was wondering if the snowfall average has gone up, stayed around the same or gone down (hopefully gone up!)  I'd assumed that storm tracks are changing but it's going to be hard to say until we get some more info.  One thing's for sure- there's a big difference between now vs the 70s and 80s.  And even when you look at the 60s, which was a snowy decade, there were only a few years in there that were really snowy.

If every winter was like 95-96 or 02-03 or 10-11 there'd be no problem, but that rarely ever happens.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Thanks, I was wondering if the snowfall average has gone up, stayed around the same or gone down (hopefully gone up!)  I'd assumed that storm tracks are changing but it's going to be hard to say until we get some more info.  One thing's for sure- there's a big difference between now vs the 70s and 80s.  And even when you look at the 60s, which was a snowy decade, there were only a few years in there that were really snowy.

If every winter was like 95-96 or 02-03 or 10-11 there'd be no problem, but that rarely ever happens.

Well my longterm avg here is right at 50".. Since 2002 I have averaged 55.9" ( not including this yr)

10 minutes ago, snywx said:

Well my longterm avg here is right at 50".. Since 2002 I have averaged 55.9" ( not including this yr)

That's pretty good, you mentioned High Point in the other post, I figured their long term avg is around 50" also.  So that would make this year about 40-50% above average.  Your average since 2002 is about 12% above normal.  I don't remember what NYC average since 2002 offhand, but it's got to be somewhere around 35"  which would be 25% above average.  Long Island probably even more above average, though I don't remember their average either (big difference from the part of the Island I live in and a place like Upton which probably averages 35" or more.)

3 minutes ago, Paragon said:

That's pretty good, you mentioned High Point in the other post, I figured their long term avg is around 50" also.  So that would make this year about 40% above average.  Your average since 2002 is about 12% above normal.  I don't remember what NYC average since 2002 is offhand, but it's got to be somewhere around 35"  which would be 25% above average.  Long Island probably even more above average, though I don't remember their average either (big difference from the part of the Island I live in and a place like Upton which probably averages 35" or more.)

I think High Point averages right around 60". That elevation really makes a difference up here. Places below 500' up here avg 45" or so. Including this year my 15 yr avg is 57.2"

2 minutes ago, snywx said:

I think High Point averages right around 60". That elevation really makes a difference up here. Places below 500' up here avg 45" or so. Including this year my 15 yr avg is 57.2"

Wow, I guess the elevation really helps you fight against "shadowing" which is a problem in the valleys, as well as mixing in borderline events.  It's like an extra half-degree of latitude ;-)

5 hours ago, Paragon said:

Wow, I guess the elevation really helps you fight against "shadowing" which is a problem in the valleys, as well as mixing in borderline events.  It's like an extra half-degree of latitude ;-)

High Point reaches an elevation of 1800'...that is a very different climate than the Hudson/Wallkill Valleys.

7 hours ago, nzucker said:

High Point reaches an elevation of 1800'...that is a very different climate than the Hudson/Wallkill Valleys.

Whats the general rule again.. For every 1000' of elevation its equivalent to the climate 100 miles N of its latitude.

We have a town called Cragsmoor which is perched up on the Shawangunk ridge. I believe its one of the highest towns on the ridge stretching from the poconos right into the Catskills. It sits at around 2200' and its a completely different world up there. They have to be approaching 100" by now. @UlsterCountySnowZ would prob know little more about their snowfall this yr.

8 hours ago, snywx said:

Whats the general rule again.. For every 1000' of elevation its equivalent to the climate 100 miles N of its latitude.

We have a town called Cragsmoor which is perched up on the Shawangunk ridge. I believe its one of the highest towns on the ridge stretching from the poconos right into the Catskills. It sits at around 2200' and its a completely different world up there. They have to be approaching 100" by now. @UlsterCountySnowZ would prob know little more about their snowfall this yr.

Cragsmoor has a forecast low of 8F tomorrow night. Chilly spot.

Tomorrow night could be an easy 15F below average with low 20s in NYC and mid teens in outlying areas.

On 3/21/2017 at 2:25 PM, snywx said:

1000' increase = 1.5 degrees of latitude as a rough approximation. For example, Boone, NC at around 3,000ft in the NC mountains has essentially the same climate as central NJ. High Point NJ has a similar climate to coastal central Maine.

2 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

I picked up an eminently forgettable 0.1" of grauple the other day so now at 56.7". Pad them numbers.

Don't think you're going to get to that 100" mark.

Too bad the main storms this winter came pretty late, 2/9 and 3/14. We torched throughout February, and mid-March is just too late to start a snowpack/wintry stretch with the high sun angle.

On 3/11/2017 at 7:21 AM, EasternLI said:

I never added the 1" from the Feb. 12th little critter, so I'm doing it now.

Plus 5" from yesterday's clipper.

That's 36.9" for the season now.

Before I forget, I need to add the 1.5" from the mid-march storm.

That puts me at 38.4" for the season. Hard to complain given the temps this season.

Archived