Newest Member
    joxey
December 12th Storm Obs

dryslot

• Replies 381
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, mahk_webstah said:

You have just pointed out to me, my unconscious biases.  I assumed you were male.  I feel like an idiot.  I think it is the banter you have engaged in that I was interpreting as male.  LOL. 

13 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

He is a male. LOL.

13 hours ago, dryslot said:

He is a male, But i suppose the name Chris could go either way..........:lol:

Gee that went sideways real fast.

Mark said Mr. Curtis, I assume because that's who wrote the AFD. That would be Mrs. Curtis, she had short term on Sunday. I can't really take any credit for the storm other than to make sure the Sunday night shift didn't go awry. It kind of perfectly fell on my off days and long term shifts.

And huevos aren't yet in a jar on the fridge, but there might be a jar with my name on it. This could be my first and last GTG. :ph34r:

Also I wish I could play from the ladies tees in the Monday night scramble. What an advantage on Spring Meadows #3. 

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

With southerly flow aloft there were in prime position to cash in on the upslope against the Mahoosucs.

I really have to do more exploring  in that area. The area between Rangeley and Sebago in western Maine is a black hole to me. Same with SW NH between the CT River and 89/93. I never go to these places b

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

With southerly flow aloft there were in prime position to cash in on the upslope against the Mahoosucs.

When snow pack is thin here, A bunch of us will trailer to rte 5 to Andover, Just down the road from the SR access rd to ride out of there over towards the  Rangeley/Oquossoc area 

2 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I really have to do more exploring  in that area. The area between Rangeley and Sebago in western Maine is a black hole to me. Same with SW NH between the CT River and 89/93. I never go to these places b

Do yourself a favor and take a trip through Grafton Notch State Park in the fall. The colors and especially the Tamaracks (larix laricina not the poster) are awesome.

14 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Do yourself a favor and take a trip through Grafton Notch State Park in the fall. The colors and especially the Tamaracks (larix laricina not the poster) are awesome.

Aldo Leopold coined the apt phrase "smoky gold" for tamaracks in October.  It's a tawny color seen on no other tree.   I'd add Route 17 Mexico to Oquossoc as another fall winner, with maybe a side trip on the Bald Mountain Road for the 1-mile/900' vertical hike to the observation tower - right between Rangeley and Mooselook Lakes with mountains all around.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:21 AM, Dan said:

What part of Methuen are you at?  I'm on Howe St over by the loop.  I measured 3.25 so we are pretty much in line with each other's obs.

Dan,

I'm off of Oak St. so we are not all that far from each other so it makes sense that our obs are similar. A question for you if you do not mind, do you ever compare your winter temp readings to the airport in North Andover?  My winter temp readings are always lower than the airport's temp readings. I've long suspected the readings at the airport are not accurate.

On 12/19/2016 at 9:42 AM, Great Snow 1717 said:

Dan,

I'm off of Oak St. so we are not all that far from each other so it makes sense that our obs are similar. A question for you if you do not mind, do you ever compare your winter temp readings to the airport in North Andover?  My winter temp readings are always lower than the airport's temp readings. I've long suspected the readings at the airport are not accurate.

I do not.  I didn't even know there was a airport in North Andover.  I actually just have a cheap digital thermometer.  My thermometer in the winter, I have to subtract about 1.5 degrees to be closer to surrounding areas anyway.  Sorry I cannot be more helpful. 

Archived