• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-18 Winter Storm Threat

Hoosier

Euro has a nice WAA push and then overrunning precip afterwards. It is cheap with the QPF but we all know how that is. With this setup and a wide open gulf I would expect probably double the .5-.75 it is showing right now, especially considering how prolonged it will be.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Euro has a nice WAA push and then overrunning precip afterwards. It is cheap with the QPF but we all know how that is. With this setup and a wide open gulf I would expect probably double the .5-.75 it is showing right now, especially considering how prolonged it will be.

Even .5-.75 would be pretty nice considering there's a pretty good chance of decent ratios.

Just now, Hoosier said:

At the very least, accumulating snow looks likely to start.  What happens afterward largely depends on system evolution.

Thanks.  I am hoping for mostly snow, obviously.  Seems a trend to less amped and if it is moving into the arctic air you'd think it would be hard to budge and that the overrunning could be awesome even with a fairly weak system.

Expect more significant changes. Still a lot of run-to-run variability because of the very complex evolution of the wave(s) out in the E Pac before the system makes landfall and a lack of sampling to go with it. There are no less than 3 vort maxes that interact with each other before more or less phasing and coming ashore. The southern vort max has been trending slower and the PV in Canada has trended faster with its evolution over the past couple of runs. Just a 6-12 hour timing difference makes for a considerably different outcome.

I suspect the high pressure in canada helps to split this up into something similar to what we experienced this past weekend, with a multi staged event.  It's the only thing that has remained constant over the last 1/2 dozen or so runs.

I would favor a southward trend in this though vs. where the system is showing now, which would produce a snowier event, fwiw.

8 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Expect more significant changes. Still a lot of run-to-run variability because of the very complex evolution of the wave(s) out in the E Pac before the system makes landfall and a lack of sampling to go with it. There are no less than 3 vort maxes that interact with each other before more or less phasing and coming ashore. The southern vort max has been trending slower and the PV in Canada has trended faster with its evolution over the past couple of runs. Just a 6-12 hour timing difference makes for a considerably different outcome.

Looks like another 3-4 days before that comes ashore?

13 minutes ago, smoof said:

I like how pretty much all the gfs ensemble members are tossing down a 1"+ qpf total in the subforum area with this for several runs now, still too far out to get hyped though, will be quite a while before actual tracks or ptypes can ever be figured out yet lol.

Now that is amounts I can see being more believable. 

3 minutes ago, csnavywx said:

Right. It comes ashore at tau 90, which is a nightmare forecasting scenario if you're in a p-type transition zone. It's literally snowing in Chicago 12 hours later on the latest runs.

I would think, at least for Chicago that the first period would be a high ratio fluffy snow.  If there is a mix wouldn't it likely come later if the low goes west/north of Chicago?  If not I would think all frozen.  On the other hand I live in an area prone to extreme cold air damming, so I don't know how quickly you scour out arctic air in Chicago

2 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Was brutal. The one time I have ever slid into a ditch, Tollway's were fine, side roads were a nightmare 

Were you in the area in Dec (08 or 09?) for the big ice storm? I remember sitting in the dark watching the blue glow from a substation fire to the north of me somewhere.

edit: Dec 18-19, 2008 https://www.weather.gov/arx/dec1808

1 hour ago, mahk_webstah said:

I would think, at least for Chicago that the first period would be a high ratio fluffy snow.  If there is a mix wouldn't it likely come later if the low goes west/north of Chicago?  If not I would think all frozen.  On the other hand I live in an area prone to extreme cold air damming, so I don't know how quickly you scour out arctic air in Chicago

There's no natural CAD mechanism, so it can go away pretty quickly in the right setup (i.e. those wound up solutions that were being shown earlier).  Track/strength will be everything, but at this point it's hard to imagine this not warranting some winter headline for the city (even a warmer/change to rain scenario would still likely have the lag time with surfaces warming up).

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

There's no natural CAD mechanism, so it can go away pretty quickly in the right setup (i.e. those wound up solutions that were being shown earlier).  Track/strength will be everything, but at this point it's hard to imagine this not warranting some winter headline for the city (even a warmer/change to rain scenario would still likely have the lag time with surfaces warming up).

Yeah our cold air source would be winds out of the east or northeast out of Ontario and Quebec for the region.

Was feeling some hope for central IA to have a shot at being plastered this weekend but as of the latest DSM package and GFS, it's looking like this one might do a repeat of the last one and nail the north and leave us an inch again. It's still early and the models will waft around but I'm very familiar with storm tracks being stuck in a particular pattern for months at a time so I'm going to guess a more northern track is a solution bearing higher probability ATTM.

5 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Pretty large area of 10-18" on the 18z GFS.  

Oh wow does look much stronger than 12z, even for these parts. Probably not gonna happen? Forgive my apparent novice but after decades of being a NWS site lurker and occasional model runs viewer I'm just starting to get deeper into how model runs work, accuracy and behavior.

Just now, RyanDe680 said:

Another wet heavy snow.... super.  Temps at 52 at STL and 28 at ORD.

It could be a similar progression to the recent storm if this type of solution were to pan out... starts off with good ratios and then gets worse.  We'll see though... still a lot to iron out.

GFS 18z maintains the low in a similar position from its earlier runs (00z) starting to see a little agreement on that...

looks like the freezing line went a little north on that run. 

Nice run for Wisconsin and Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, and Northern Illinois. Definitely a spread the wealth event for the same areas who have been hit 2 weekends in a row, the trend continues 

Archived