joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 16-18 Winter Storm Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z NAM has trended colder when it comes to the low temps tonight.  -30s in MN and in northern Iowa.  Won't approach the all time record low in Iowa, though.

EDIT: Just checked the all time record low in Iowa.  It was -47F in Elkador on February 3, 1996.  Tonight's forecast lows projected by the models aren't even close to that all time record low.

I should also add that the NAM and HRRR are having problems...

Estimating a good inch of powdery snow in the last hour and a half or so.  It's very hard to measure due to the wind whipping it all around out there.  Took forever to get here, but when it finally moved in it ripped pretty good for awhile.  Guessing over on the other side of the river where that band had stalled for awhile they picked up 3"+.  

I measured 2.3 inches from the afternoon snowfall.  I expected a bit more given the solid snow over the last few hours of the event, but the whipping wind may have affected the depth on the snow boards.  My storm total is 2.6 inches when combined with last night.  The solid defo band today, which models struggled with, saved the system from being a bust.

9 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

I measured 2.3 inches from the afternoon snowfall.  I expected a bit more given the solid snow over the last few hours of the event, but the whipping wind may have affected the depth on the snow boards.  My storm total is 2.6 inches when combined with last night.  The solid defo band today, which models struggled with, saved the system from being a bust.

I had a good feeling it would save it once the 00z models came in last night in agreement (which I checked under the cover of my jacket at Star Wars  in movie theater), I knew we were gonna get handsomely plastered :)

17 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Indeed.  At this point it's more radar watching than model watching for me.

Nice, rooting for you.  There's something falling, or should I say floating, here right now.  Had to turn on a flashlight to see it.  It looks like that fine dust you see when an afternoon sunbeam shines through a window in your house.  Radar is filling in with some super thin bands to my NW.  Seems the arctic air mass is starting to progress SE  with a little more umph as the  sw rides up the front.  I gotta get at least an inch dusting out of this thing.  I can't stand -10 with bare ground and mud spikes.  

Archived