Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 16-18 Winter Storm Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, blue60007 said:

Highways in Indy are skating rinks and parking lots, people been stuck for 10 hours. Air temp at 32 or a bit above, but ground temps are likely still below freezing.

From Mike Ryan at NWSChat:

Morning everyone. Just wanted to share a brief conversation I just had with the Hendricks Co EM director. He told me his salt trucks have the ability to measure both air and ground temps. Currently, they're measuring 33-34 degrees air temp and 30-31 ground temp. Expect that to continue to rise through the morning, but the lagging ground temps are the issue currently.

A beautiful winter wonderland outside. The entire system locally ended up performing differently than anticipated. Qpf was lighter but it now looks like it may not even crack freezing, when all week long it looked like it would be a thump of snow followed by rain and temps rising briefly into the 35-40F+ range.

Woke up to a fresh 3.5" of snow imby (liquid 0.28"). I have now had 16.9" of snow in the last 7 days with a current settled depth of 10". Snowbanks galore...perfect Christmas atmosphere! DTW had 3.3" of snow overnight, so they have had 15.5" in the last 7 days.

Huge temp bust here as well, was forecasted to reach the low to mid 40's just 24 hours ago. It's never touched above freezing and the cold front will be knocking on our door in a few hours. 

Main roads starting to slush up, parking lots, side walks, driveways are absolutely frightening. Local met was urging people to salt their driveways as tonight and tomorrow the salt will be ineffective. 

Archived