SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 16-18 Winter Storm Threat

Hoosier

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There could be a corridor that gets ice and never gets above freezing.  Just focusing on the LOT cwa, I'd put the best odds of that on a line almost perfectly bisecting the LOT cwa...from LaSalle county E/NE toward Chicago (especially the south side). Caveat for areas near the lake is that water temps have cratered in the past several days, though are still above freezing, which may be enough to nudge temps above freezing as winds shift off the water.  

In that corridor, I could see perhaps up to a tenth or two of ice.  Will have to watch trends to make sure quicker warming  aloft/wetter doesn't occur, which would introduce the possibility for a more significant event.

13 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

There could be a corridor that gets ice and never gets above freezing.  Just focusing on the LOT cwa, I'd put the best odds of that on a line almost perfectly bisecting the LOT cwa...from LaSalle county E/NE toward Chicago (especially the south side). Caveat for areas near the lake is that water temps have cratered in the past several days, though are still above freezing, which may be enough to nudge temps above freezing as winds shift off the water.  

In that corridor, I could see perhaps up to a tenth or two of ice.  Will have to watch trends to make sure quicker warming  aloft/wetter doesn't occur, which would introduce the possibility for a more significant event.

Yeah it could be a real mess Saturday. I think it'll be hard for temps to rise above freezing in this area, and even if they did, it would be brief and it would have to warm up a lot more to prevent freezing on surfaces. Could be a problem 

41 minutes ago, CoalCityWxMan said:

Yeah it could be a real mess Saturday. I think it'll be hard for temps to rise above freezing in this area, and even if they did, it would be brief and it would have to warm up a lot more to prevent freezing on surfaces. Could be a problem 

Oh yeah.  It would take a nice jump north for us to get far enough above freezing to stop the problems on the surfaces.

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

For the first wave, WAA precip is more filled in to the south of the main axis, which helps south ends from the LOT CWA into MI.

Not only that, but the extent of warm air is muted (no parts of MI get above 32*F) and it's dry slot city during the time that liquid precipitation would be a concern. 

1 minute ago, Powerball said:

Not only that, but the extent of warm air is muted (no parts of MI get above 32*F) and it's dry slot city during the time that liquid precipitation would be a concern. 

NAM has been doing that on other runs, but it's pretty much by itself I think.

1 minute ago, Hoosier said:

NAM has been doing that on other runs, but it's pretty much by itself I think.

The warmth above the surface has been getting nudged further and further southeast on the GFS and Euro as well run to run. The NAM is the most aggressive with keeping the warm air away though.

Part of the reason why the NAM and especially the 4km NAM is struggling with the southern extent of the snow shield is because of the convective nature of the southern extent. I would imagine that the areas on the southern fringe will see more than the NAM is currently showing right now.

2 minutes ago, Powerball said:

Temp-wise, when the typically torchy NAM does it, I certainly wouldn't write off that outcome. 

I think part of it comes down to how it's handling the sfc pattern.  We'll see what the temps look like if it gets in line with other guidance on a mid-upper 990s low tracking from STL toward TOL.

Just now, Hoosier said:

I think part of it comes down to how it's handling the sfc pattern.  We'll see what the temps look like if it gets in line with other guidance on a mid-upper 990s low tracking from STL toward TOL.

True.

I would lean against the stronger solutions that the GFS / GGEM show given that we're dealing with a positive-tilt trough and an open wave (and instead a more strung-out solution), but the NAM may be too far in the other direction as well.

The NAM is driving me nuts with about 8 runs in a row with the weird surface evolution and no deform band hitting me, while the GFS has had like 18 runs in a row of a deform band here now, I'd still take the NAM's juicy 7-8" WAA snows but want the deform band the GFS and other models have been showing for many many runs.

Archived