Welcome to American Weather
ChescoPaWxman

EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

987 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, RedSky said:

Sleet is in my forecast twice in the next week, hilarious.

Oh yeah look out for April this year.

 

Followed by 95 and humid from May-August. LOL Love Philly weather!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn't seem to me that sleet will be much (if any) of a factor for the Friday night into Saturday AM event.  Based on the track and type of this storm (clipper, not coastal), it's likely going to be snow and/or rain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Most guidance trending quickly towards an inch or two of snow across SE PA Saturday PM....higher amounts LV and Poconos. Euro appears most aggressive. Looks like a psuedo clipper dives South into the Ohio Valley then tracks beneath us and attempts to strengthen as it approaches the coast. Starts as a mix then over to wet snow. March is by far our new best winter month around these parts!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

March 2017......ducks on the pond once again. These clippers can toss in a surprise or two. Snow on snow.

Funny this period has been the best snow cover of the season. I'm sure the march sun will do its thing today. Squalls were cool yesterday, pocono weather at the NJ shore.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how much of an factor the concrete snow/icepack will play with light rain falling and 2m temps in the 30s at the onset, especially in the NW Burbs? I am assuming there will be issues with rain freezing at the surface initially and I am fairly certain models do not forecast that sort of thing. Have a hunch Saturday will be messier than current forecasts for some areas. Time of day this time of year is a factor that could help negate the freezing rain threat or not really? Im not skilled in this area, I really am not sure how big a role this surface ice pack and several days of cold weather will play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No doubt in my mind I have never had 3 winter events in March let alone in a 10 day span. Weather World 30 day outlook on Tuesday is for frequent chill spring was put on layaway.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Euro today is pleading for Ralph to play ball one last time, they have the stadium to themselves day 9.

*mega sleet potential 

 

 

 

 


Im over this debacle of a winter....so over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, RedSky said:

4-5" snow cone ice pack remains tenacious. Surreal length of pack with April this close.

 

 

Thinking mid August till all is melted in shopping parking lots. Ran over/hit a mound when exiting...may as well been concrete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I am officially done with this winter. I am even annoyed by the snow pack that seems like a glacier in many spots. usually snow in last march would make me really happy.

What an incredible disappointment on every level.  Two fun storms to track, but on the whole...just disappointing across the board. See you all next winter. Heres hoping for a repeat from that polar vortex winter a few years ago. Deep cold and lots of storms. I don't need a blizzard, just lots of decent storms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Jsdphilly said:

And I am officially done with this winter. I am even annoyed by the snow pack that seems like a glacier in many spots. usually snow in last march would make me really happy.

What an incredible disappointment on every level.  Two fun storms to track, but on the whole...just disappointing across the board. See you all next winter. Heres hoping for a repeat from that polar vortex winter a few years ago. Deep cold and lots of storms. I don't need a blizzard, just lots of decent storms. 

I would take many medium size storms/cold periods to a blizzard any day of the week...this Winter rating...D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll give this winter a D+ ... only to leave myself some wiggle room to grade down the next time we get a 97-98, 01-02 or 11-12 style winter. It was a ratter this year, but we did get some cold and some frozen, not a complete shut out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9" snow as of March 1st and warmest ever Dec-Feb and a big zero performance during the holiday season, yeah winter gets an F.

Spring so far gets an A+ for best winter impersonation with 11.5" of March snow and sleet, frequent arctic high pressure, long lasting snow cover now past 10 days imby and a white St Patricks's Day.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recorded a sneaky high of 47.2F just after midnight. Sump pumps also kicked in yesterday -- a little surprising. Despite all the melt, I thought we've been running dry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a high for today (so far) of 51F just before 1 am and with CFP, am down to 38F and breezy this morning.  Will be interesting to see how low it goes or how much it recovers later today.  Still have glaciers in the north-facing spots and plenty of plowed/shoveled mounds persisting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rate this winter a D-

Lack of sustained cold, lack of overall snow events, too many dippin dots and slurpee events, 70 degree temps for several days in our heart of winter (February), only one decent Nor'easter/Coastal storm on Jan 23-24 that didn't even provide any snow for most (wasted event), strongest Arctic airmass in mid March that would have yielded single-digit highs in January (poor timed airmasses), general 'cutter' pattern, misses North, misses South, no real Alberta clippers with the traditional 1-3"/2-4" snows.....only some squalls associated with arctic fropas. Disaster.....absolute disaster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I rate this winter a D-

Lack of sustained cold, lack of overall snow events, too many dippin dots and slurpee events, 70 degree temps for several days in our heart of winter (February), only one decent Nor'easter/Coastal storm on Jan 23-24 that didn't even provide any snow for most (wasted event), strongest Arctic airmass in mid March that would have yielded single-digit highs in January (poor timed airmasses), general 'cutter' pattern, misses North, misses South, no real Alberta clippers with the traditional 1-3"/2-4" snows.....only some squalls associated with arctic fropas. Disaster.....absolute disaster. 

Curious are you giving winter a D- because of March? I feel like if I give this disaster a D- then I would have to give 2012 the same because it had the destructive 8" frankenstorm in October that skewed the final snow numbers to 15.5" imby. Dec through Feb they were neck and neck train wrecks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Curious are you giving winter a D- because of March? I feel like if I give this disaster a D- then I would have to give 2012 the same because it had the destructive 8" frankenstorm in October that skewed the final snow numbers to 15.5" imby. Dec through Feb they were neck and neck train wrecks.

 

The fluke late season cold snap and 2 accumulating storms in 5 days mid March helped garner the D- else it would have been an F for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's with the developing tropical wave down near Jamaica? Signs of an early and active season? Had a developing system down there in January as well. These are probably subtropical systems and not entirely tropical but the Westerlies usually take over down there during the winter. Seemed like this year the Eastern trade winds generally prevailed. I dont usually delve too much into tropical stuff so I wasnt sure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to believe there's still spotty snow/ice mounds hanging around....and shopping parking lots have 3ft+ mounds still existing w/the warm temps and it's just about April.

T-Storm potential Tuesday?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.