Newest Member
    joxey
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

I fully expect to wake up at 6 am tomorrow to "euro caves to gfs". "Euro is a bust" "euro is a southern slider". Pretty much sums up this horrible winter.

Think your winter is bad that area is close to 50% normal snowfall for winter and could make seasonal average in one bomb this month, I sit at 15%  

2 hours ago, Philadelphia Snow said:

I fully expect to wake up at 6 am tomorrow to "euro caves to gfs". "Euro is a bust" "euro is a southern slider". Pretty much sums up this horrible winter.

Euro is a 4-6" hit for everybody in the region, including outside the region in NYC and down to DC lol

It's the NAM shifted 50 miles south and the usual rule 50% less qpf. 

Is it wrong to be pessimistic based on the way this season has gone and last minute trends? I realize many of us are staring the biggest snowfall of the season in the face this morning, but with 48 hours to go....that's an eternity. Im still struggling with BL concerns going from 60F to accumulating snow 8-10 hours later. If this happens, and the LR late season turnaround is real, y'all can thank me for sending my snowblower to the scrapmetal yard as a sacrifice for the region :-D

Now lets get 12z to hold course!

CRAS trended towards the Euro.....big shift. Good sign there. 6z NAM and GFS getting better. Looking like a general 3-6" event in extreme SE PA right now as a model avg. Farther North LV etc 5-10". Upstate PA 12"+? Gonna be a slurpee snow down this way but beggars cant be choosers....getting the flavored syrups ready! :-D

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Is it wrong to be pessimistic based on the way this season has gone and last minute trends? I realize many of us are staring the biggest snowfall of the season in the face this morning, but with 48 hours to go....that's an eternity. Im still struggling with BL concerns going from 60F to accumulating snow 8-10 hours later. If this happens, and the LR late season turnaround is real, y'all can thank me for sending my snowblower to the scrapmetal yard as a sacrifice for the region :-D

Now lets get 12z to hold course!

Fair to have some cautious optimism.  Crazier things have happened.  Good consensus overall, now it primarily comes down to how much the low flexes its muscles and when.  Stronger makes it tuck in more but dynamics at peak offset low location.  12z here we come

Color me skeptic for Philly S+E. Seen this before where extreme high temperatures the day before + storm starting off as rain and leading to people upset at busted forecast. I would be shocked if anything more than 2-4" happened S+E of the city, while considerably higher numbers could occur N+W.

NAM has us at 61F in SE PA at 1pm tomorrow. Didn't see mos text output yet. That would setup the Wiggum Rule with potentially the quickest turnaround I've seen. For those that want to know what the Wiggum Rule is, I've logged 60F+ days Jan 1-Feb 15 for 9 years and noted there is a 9 out of 10 probability of some sort of snow in SE PA within 5 days following those 60F readings. That logged data was taken from my current locale in Bucks from 2010-present. Formerly taken from Clifton Heights/Secane Delco 2008-2010.

12 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

NAM is a general widespread 4-8" event across SE PA. Crap....I'm gonna need a snowblower.

Screw it. Either shovel or let it melt which should be pretty quick. Lowes and Home Depot will start slashing prices in the not too distant future.

The high of 60+ tomorrow before the event is irking the helluva out of me...

7 minutes ago, Newman said:

Sorry, I had to. It gives MBY the jackpot:nam4km_asnow_neus_18.png

Bingo we are right there in the jackpot zone, I remember before last years snow storm we were in the jackpot for 3' @ 7 days only to loose it @ 6 days then it came back 48 hrs. prior to the storm and we were in jackpot for sure ended up with 37". Here is to hoping but getting to excited just yet 

3 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

How much of this snow will melt hitting the ground with the temps being above freezing for so long?

Well according To Mt Holly's AFD this morning the heaviest snow should be around daybreak could approach 1" per hour for a few hours. But to answer your question rates will overcome surface temps at some point 

Archived