Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most guidance trending quickly towards an inch or two of snow across SE PA Saturday PM....higher amounts LV and Poconos. Euro appears most aggressive. Looks like a psuedo clipper dives South into the Ohio Valley then tracks beneath us and attempts to strengthen as it approaches the coast. Starts as a mix then over to wet snow. March is by far our new best winter month around these parts!

March 2017......ducks on the pond once again. These clippers can toss in a surprise or two. Snow on snow.

Funny this period has been the best snow cover of the season. I'm sure the march sun will do its thing today. Squalls were cool yesterday, pocono weather at the NJ shore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wonder how much of an factor the concrete snow/icepack will play with light rain falling and 2m temps in the 30s at the onset, especially in the NW Burbs? I am assuming there will be issues with rain freezing at the surface initially and I am fairly certain models do not forecast that sort of thing. Have a hunch Saturday will be messier than current forecasts for some areas. Time of day this time of year is a factor that could help negate the freezing rain threat or not really? Im not skilled in this area, I really am not sure how big a role this surface ice pack and several days of cold weather will play. 

And I am officially done with this winter. I am even annoyed by the snow pack that seems like a glacier in many spots. usually snow in last march would make me really happy.

What an incredible disappointment on every level.  Two fun storms to track, but on the whole...just disappointing across the board. See you all next winter. Heres hoping for a repeat from that polar vortex winter a few years ago. Deep cold and lots of storms. I don't need a blizzard, just lots of decent storms. 

14 minutes ago, Jsdphilly said:

And I am officially done with this winter. I am even annoyed by the snow pack that seems like a glacier in many spots. usually snow in last march would make me really happy.

What an incredible disappointment on every level.  Two fun storms to track, but on the whole...just disappointing across the board. See you all next winter. Heres hoping for a repeat from that polar vortex winter a few years ago. Deep cold and lots of storms. I don't need a blizzard, just lots of decent storms. 

I would take many medium size storms/cold periods to a blizzard any day of the week...this Winter rating...D.

9" snow as of March 1st and warmest ever Dec-Feb and a big zero performance during the holiday season, yeah winter gets an F.

Spring so far gets an A+ for best winter impersonation with 11.5" of March snow and sleet, frequent arctic high pressure, long lasting snow cover now past 10 days imby and a white St Patricks's Day.

I rate this winter a D-

Lack of sustained cold, lack of overall snow events, too many dippin dots and slurpee events, 70 degree temps for several days in our heart of winter (February), only one decent Nor'easter/Coastal storm on Jan 23-24 that didn't even provide any snow for most (wasted event), strongest Arctic airmass in mid March that would have yielded single-digit highs in January (poor timed airmasses), general 'cutter' pattern, misses North, misses South, no real Alberta clippers with the traditional 1-3"/2-4" snows.....only some squalls associated with arctic fropas. Disaster.....absolute disaster. 

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I rate this winter a D-

Lack of sustained cold, lack of overall snow events, too many dippin dots and slurpee events, 70 degree temps for several days in our heart of winter (February), only one decent Nor'easter/Coastal storm on Jan 23-24 that didn't even provide any snow for most (wasted event), strongest Arctic airmass in mid March that would have yielded single-digit highs in January (poor timed airmasses), general 'cutter' pattern, misses North, misses South, no real Alberta clippers with the traditional 1-3"/2-4" snows.....only some squalls associated with arctic fropas. Disaster.....absolute disaster. 

Curious are you giving winter a D- because of March? I feel like if I give this disaster a D- then I would have to give 2012 the same because it had the destructive 8" frankenstorm in October that skewed the final snow numbers to 15.5" imby. Dec through Feb they were neck and neck train wrecks.

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

Curious are you giving winter a D- because of March? I feel like if I give this disaster a D- then I would have to give 2012 the same because it had the destructive 8" frankenstorm in October that skewed the final snow numbers to 15.5" imby. Dec through Feb they were neck and neck train wrecks.

The fluke late season cold snap and 2 accumulating storms in 5 days mid March helped garner the D- else it would have been an F for sure.

What's with the developing tropical wave down near Jamaica? Signs of an early and active season? Had a developing system down there in January as well. These are probably subtropical systems and not entirely tropical but the Westerlies usually take over down there during the winter. Seemed like this year the Eastern trade winds generally prevailed. I dont usually delve too much into tropical stuff so I wasnt sure.  

Archived