• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

Steven Dimartino on twitter is saying this will be a New England storm and I will have to agree with him. Either the storm will cutoff too soon and give us rain while NY and New England gets snow or the northern stream energy will phase/transfer too far north with the southern stream energy, giving New York City and north a blizzard. I hope I'm wrong and we get pounded with heavy snow, but what happened to the storm that was supposed to happen this Sunday? Yeah, don't get too invested until this is 72-60 hours out.

I completely agree with this. Climatology and seasonal trends make this a no-brainer. Always a chance for us but I would seriously place the chance for more than 2" out of that threat near 3% right now and that is probably being too generous. Lucy isnt getting me this time....no way.....not happening.

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm far more concerned about a Miller B screw job and SNE special than a storm too close to the coast. 

Miller B screwjob yes. But even models depicting this develop it pretty far W and r/s line is right over us. Not your typical Miller B development on guidance. NYC, probably a close call but they will get snow somehow. New England? Destroyed. When others find ways to win and snow, we find ways to fail and blow.

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Miller B screwjob yes. But even models depicting this develop it pretty far W and r/s line is right over us. Not your typical Miller B development on guidance. NYC, probably a close call but they will get snow somehow. New England? Destroyed. When others find ways to win and snow, we find ways to fail and blow.

Just look at the GFS-Para at 18z yesterday. Shows exactly what you are saying. We get soaked with 33 degree rain as Central and Northern PA gets a huge thump of heavy, heavy snow.

Been a while since a snowy Wxsim forecast....here is the GFS/NAM 6z blend as of this AM for next Tuesday - may happen as I will be in sunny Clearwater with the Phightin Phillies!!

Tuesday: Dense overcast. Snow likely. High 34. Wind chill around 22. Wind east
 around 12 mph, gusting to 21 mph, in the morning, becoming 16 mph, gusting to 24
 mph, in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid
 equivalent) mostly between 1 and 2 inches. Snow accumulation 8 to 12 inches.

Tuesday night: Dense overcast. Snow likely in the evening, then a chance of snow
 after midnight. Low 30. Wind chill as low as 20. Wind north-northeast around 14
 mph, gusting to 22 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation
 (liquid equivalent) mostly between a quarter and half an inch. Snow accumulation
 2 to 4 inches.

The latest GFS has some resemblance to this storm from 2015. Northern stream energy goes to transfer to the coast, snow remains in western PA, dry slot eastern PA, blizzard NYC and north. Obviously the setup is completely different, but I feel there are some similarities. 

Euro January 2015.jpg

9 minutes ago, RedSky said:

ECM supports a decent hit for this area wave #3 next Tuesday. Now with all the crazy model flips and changes that have been going on this winter, hasn't been common for the GFS and ECM to be on the same page day 6. 

When did posting euro snow maps become acceptable on this site? Literally every sub-forum has snow maps, including the clown kuchera one. Now, I'm not against it, but i always thought it was technically illegal.

28 minutes ago, Newman said:

When did posting euro snow maps become acceptable on this site? Literally every sub-forum has snow maps, including the clown kuchera one. Now, I'm not against it, but i always thought it was technically illegal.

At least for the map above I believe that is from 2 years ago, so I don't think that's the kind of map they frown upon.  

42 minutes ago, shemATC said:

At least for the map above I believe that is from 2 years ago, so I don't think that's the kind of map they frown upon.  

The map I posted was one from Jan 2015. I'm talking about current, right-now snow maps of the euro. I don't have anything against posting them because, well, I don't have any subscription service to get the snow maps and I like to see them. However, I always thought it was illegal to some extent.

Call me stunned....latest Wxsim with 18z NAM/12z GFS model runs cuts Tuesday snow amounts by more than 50%....shocking!

Tuesday: Dense overcast. Snow likely in the morning, then a chance of snow in
 the afternoon. High 35. Wind chill around 23. Wind east-southeast around 12 mph,
 gusting to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid
 equivalent) mostly between a quarter and half an inch. Snow accumulation 2 to 3
 inches.

Tuesday night: Dense overcast. Patchy light fog. Snow likely in the evening,
 then a chance of snow after midnight. Low 30. Wind chill as low as 23. Wind
 north-northeast around 7 mph, gusting to 17 mph. Chance of precipitation 80
 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. Snow
 accumulation 2 to 4 inches.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

18z shotguns us with big storms next week in a Feb 2010 redux

Meanwhile at 9" of snow on the season I have weathered half a dozen fails looking  to get that 1" to get out of the gutter and into double digits. Couldn't make this up.

That would make for the most back loaded winter in recorded history.

2 hours ago, Violentweatherfan said:

Assuming you are referring to the white shaded area, Langhorne isn't that far west.

If you look closely it extends across the Philadelphia border into western Bucks county.  I live on the western edge of Langhorne which is only 3 miles from the border. So no it's not a bullseye on my house, but close enough.

There are 4.....count them...FOUR chances for snow in SE PA over the next 10 days. Friday is meh, Sunday looks like it will miss South. That in my book is an 0 for 2 start. Yeah, maybe mood flakes Friday but considering this was at least a minor accumulating threat in some recent runs, Im declaring it a fail for all intents and purposes. If we go 0 for 4, not only am I hijacking Lucy and tossing her from the top of the Comcast building in center city....I may follow right behind her.

16 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

There are 4.....count them...FOUR chances for snow in SE PA over the next 10 days. Friday is meh, Sunday looks like it will miss South. That in my book is an 0 for 2 start. Yeah, maybe mood flakes Friday but considering this was at least a minor accumulating threat in some recent runs, Im declaring it a fail for all intents and purposes. If we go 0 for 4, not only am I hijacking Lucy and tossing her from the top of the Comcast building in center city....I may follow right behind her.

You'd probably make the news.

Archived