• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

Here in NW Chester County PA - January ended with an average temp of 35.4 +5.7 above normal - this is the 12th warmest January in the last 123 years of county weather records. The warmest since the 38.4 back in 2006

Snow wise only 6.1" of snow (5.8" below Jan norms) which puts us now 11.7" below what should be normal snow season to date of 18.6"

Good news is rainfall of 3.90" was 0.10" above normal

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Newman said:

Stuff like right now is why I absolutely hate this winter. The radar has shown a band of snow stalled over me for an hour now, and not even one sign of a flake. When its cold, its dry. When its warm, its wet.

I can remember the days of my youth, back in the early days of the weather channel, when I'd be coming unglued as to why the radar showed that it was snowing when not a single flake was falling. Of course back then, I didn't have a great understanding of how the atmosphere worked or knew about virga or what it was, I just knew it wasn't snowing when the radar "said" it was...

2 hours ago, Voyager said:

I can remember the days of my youth, back in the early days of the weather channel, when I'd be coming unglued as to why the radar showed that it was snowing when not a single flake was falling. Of course back then, I didn't have a great understanding of how the atmosphere worked or knew about virga or what it was, I just knew it wasn't snowing when the radar "said" it was...

I remember that happening out my way couple years ago the radar showed snow clear back to the great lakes south to the Mason Dixon line  east to the Pa/Nj boarder It was reaching the ground West, South and even to the East in my area in was a virga storm for 3hrs. It was maddening 

On 2/1/2017 at 9:18 AM, Voyager said:

Indeed...lol. Many of us (myself included) in the summer hope for hurricanes, severe storms, and derechos. How many people really want that except for us nutty weather geeks?

It is screwed up thinking/logic......go figure? If there is a severe T-Storm Warning with red echos on radar....I'm pumped! I'll stay up all night....really messed up..lol!

Just got back from the scrap metal yard and I dropped off most of the pieces of my snowblower. Will re-invest in a new one next season.....maybe. Of course as soon as I get in and pop online, this pops up. Im not overly optimistic for this one though as the preceding airmass is garbage and we are praying for bleeding cold air to turn rain to snow. If we can slow the STJ a hair.....maybe:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_17.png

29 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Just got back from the scrap metal yard and I dropped off most of the pieces of my snowblower. Will re-invest in a new one next season.....maybe. Of course as soon as I get in and pop online, this pops up. Im not overly optimistic for this one though as the preceding airmass is garbage and we are praying for bleeding cold air to turn rain to snow. If we can slow the STJ a hair.....maybe:

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_17.png

As a practical matter how often does this set up work out? Probably not too often.

3 minutes ago, bigtenfan said:

As a practical matter how often does this set up work out? Probably not too often.

I dont have precise stats for this BUT I can tell you it is rare. Even in a best cast scenario, a progressive system like this relying on cold air filtering in to change rain to snow *might* yield an inch or so of slush on grassy surfaces. That is taken at face value as per the GFS. Of course the Euro says the trof amplifies and goes negative but does so too far East.

16 minutes ago, RedSky said:

I have little interest unless it makes it inside 24hrs and every model including the Korean and French is on board. I am like Stephen Hawking trying to kick the football at this point.

I've given up completely. Just want a below Spring and Summer (temps and hopefully T-storms) then reboot for next season...

Wxsim for NW Chester County PA with 12z NAM and 6z GFS blend 0.70" we of snow overnight but only around 4" accumulating with temps hovering just above freezing for much of the "event" - it will change with the next run...

Wednesday night: Partly to mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming cloudy after
 midnight. Patchy light fog after midnight. A slight chance of rain in the
 evening, then a mix of snow and rain likely after midnight. Low 32. Wind chill
 ranging from 26 to 45. Wind north-northeast around 4 mph in the evening,
 becoming 8 mph, gusting to 15 mph, after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70
 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around a quarter of an inch.
 Snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches.

Thursday: Dense overcast in the morning, becoming partly cloudy in the
 afternoon. Snow likely. High 35. Wind chill around 27. Wind north-northeast
 around 9 mph, gusting to 20 mph, in the morning, becoming north-northwest in the
 afternoon. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)
 mostly around half an inch. Snow accumulation around 2 inches.

Archived