Newest Member
    SnowHabit
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

"Wiggum Rule" in effect. When high temps in the heart of winter in SE PA hit at least 60, expect wintry precipitation at some point within the next 5 days. Works 95% of the time.

I've doubted this in the past but it strangely verifies most of the time lol its why I am pretty certain we get something Saturday. Pattern warms up next week and may last 2 weeks but it actually looks like things are falling into place for the 2nd half of winter. I don't think the pattern change will be here in full effect in a week to ten days, think it will be more like 14 days, maybe a little after even. imo these things always take longer to arrive than modeled but the good news is that still leaves us in the heart of winter instead of banking on it to change say at the end of February. I think almost everyone here will reach at least average snow fall on the year.

4 hours ago, snowwors2 said:

WOW...This truly gave me the chills and uncontrollable laughter...and be sure to check out the webcams (and we're praying for 1") ☃️

http://www.mammothmountain.com/winter/mountain-information/mountain-information/snow-conditions-and-weather

I saw a video yesterday from up there the snow was piled up to the bottom of overpasses, Ill see if I can post it.  

I saw a video yesterday from up there the snow was piled up to the bottom of overpasses, Ill see if I can post it.  

It would be cool to experience something like this once in my lifetime whether that be spending a winter there or in the Lake Effect belt. I'm too old to be shoveling and snowplowing every single day or every other day tho so I would need to have someone that would work for me to remove the snow lol. I wonder if they track sunny/dry weather the way we track snowstorms? I realize those are ski resorts but there are still common folk that live in the mountains. Seriously tho, I wonder if they follow the models praying the storms trend drier or 'out-to-sea' lol. Amazing stuff regardless.

10 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

It would be cool to experience something like this once in my lifetime whether that be spending a winter there or in the Lake Effect belt. I'm too old to be shoveling and snowplowing every single day or every other day tho so I would need to have someone that would work for me to remove the snow lol. I wonder if they track sunny/dry weather the way we track snowstorms? I realize those are ski resorts but there are still common folk that live in the mountains. Seriously tho, I wonder if they follow the models praying the storms trend drier or 'out-to-sea' lol. Amazing stuff regardless.

16106024_1307386089304974_8793476184092514974_n (1).jpg

The promising pattern change for late January into February looks to have vanished. +PNA feature is almost non-existent and what trof we do have in the East is very flat and progressive with no N Atlantic blocking. I guess its a good look on the eps gefs and geps if you like warm/wet with some shots of cold/dry sprinkled in. Obviously it could change but the pattern since October is too predictable and just keeps repeating itself over and over and over.

14 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

The promising pattern change for late January into February looks to have vanished. +PNA feature is almost non-existent and what trof we do have in the East is very flat and progressive with no N Atlantic blocking. I guess its a good look on the eps gefs and geps if you like warm/wet with some shots of cold/dry sprinkled in. Obviously it could change but the pattern since October is too predictable and just keeps repeating itself over and over and over.

With a couple of model runs, time to give up...lol! Many said this will be a winter where further north locations will be the winners as far as snowfall is concerned, in that respect nothing has changed.

1 hour ago, WEATHERBUFF said:

With a couple of model runs, time to give up...lol! Many said this will be a winter where further north locations will be the winners as far as snowfall is concerned, in that respect nothing has changed.

Not giving up.....will never give up as I realize fluke storms do happen. However, those who follow the weeklies and LR stuff have seen this repeated continuously since October. Now that the models are backing off on the LR pattern in this same lead time they have before, leads me to believe these pattern flips are some sort of unicorn we are chasing this year. There is supposed to be a SWE but that usually takes 2-3 weeks or more to reflect down at the surface and even with that change, those stratospheric guidance models are showing the PV migrating over to Siberia. We'll see I guess. I wont lose sleep over this supposed pattern change that will have "February rocking" tho.

17 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Not giving up.....will never give up as I realize fluke storms do happen. However, those who follow the weeklies and LR stuff have seen this repeated continuously since October. Now that the models are backing off on the LR pattern in this same lead time they have before, leads me to believe these pattern flips are some sort of unicorn we are chasing this year. There is supposed to be a SWE but that usually takes 2-3 weeks or more to reflect down at the surface and even with that change, those stratospheric guidance models are showing the PV migrating over to Siberia. We'll see I guess. I wont lose sleep over this supposed pattern change that will have "February rocking" tho.

I always thought Feb and March are the best opportunities for snow especially for the mid atlantic this year. It is very hard these days to get many below average or even average months in regards to temps.

January 15 - Didn't press the button to cancel winter. Not expecting a real good finish to winter but even 5" below normal snow past Jan 25th would be more than double the winter I have seen so far 4.7". It's taken a significant amount of bad luck to do this poorly through mid winter a large portion of NJ and NYC are near normal in snowfall right next door. The struggle post January thaw will be to see if we can pull out a sub par finish like 2013(25.5" imby) or equal the futility of 2012(10" imby). 

5 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

SWE? (stratospheric warming event)

And hang in there awhile longer (we've done it before)...reading elsewhere that we're delayed a bit but not denied! Seems we can still get a very, very good Feb/March pattern going!!

I've decided to NOT cancel winter and while I've taken the public tour of The Panic Room in the Mid-Atlantic forum a couple of times, I have not checked in. With guidance at odds in the LR, this leads me to believe we are in fact headed towards a significant pattern change. Whether or not it can produce will remain to be seen but I'm hopeful we finish on a high note this season. Heck, the Euro op from 0Z was trending towards a bombing coastal low with wet snow early next week so anything is possible.

2 hours ago, RedSky said:

You can have your 3" snow +5F January give me a +12 to get outside and soak in the warmth. December 2015 has grown on me. 

Blasphemy! 

We want snow, and we want it now!

Or when the pattern flips in early Feb...

in the mean time I'm drooling at ridiculous eastern Sierra videos

17 minutes ago, RedSky said:

My worst fear now is a two week cold pattern, another big hit south of us and that's all she wrote. Would be horrid.

I would actually take that at this point (because I think this winter is shot) BUT in return we only have 7 or less 90 degree days this summer. (and some T-storms) Then we'll start fresh next Fall/Winter...

Archived