SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also thought this was cool a little later in the period on the CMC. Watch this loop and note the movement of the HP over Maine. Then watch the movement of the LP in the South. It looks like the two are gearing up for a head-to-head war and the CMC wants to make us the battleground. Again, posting for S&G because I thought the two pressure heading for each other was kind of cool (though likely wrong) and not something you see every day:

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh216-240.gif

Looks like the next 7 days have 2 chances for something frozen. First one is Tuesday AM as warm front presses thru could start out briefly as sleet then over to fzra and plain rain. Northern areas (upper Bucks, Berks,. LV, etc) stand the best shot but even there it eventually flips over. NAM shows some wedging of the cold air. Big old 1050HP settles in over Maine later in the week as a cold front presses thru. Will setup a boundary between CAA and WAA which may or may not put our area in a risk depending on where the boundary sets up and timing of waves moving along. Low confidence in that setup but again, something to watch later in the week into next weekend. Models and ensemble members are all over the place irt to timing of waves and location of boundary attm.  

Wxsim for NW Chesco with 18z GFS and 0z NAM for next potential "event"

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy to cloudy in the morning, becoming cloudy in the
 afternoon. A slight chance of a mix of snow and sleet in the afternoon. High 29.
 Wind chill ranging from 5 to 21. Wind south-southwest around 7 mph. Chance of
 precipitation less than 20 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly
 less than a tenth of an inch. No snow or ice (on ground) accumulation expected.

Tuesday night: Dense overcast. A slight chance of a mix of sleet, snow, and
 freezing rain in the evening, then a mix of freezing rain and sleet likely after
 midnight. Low 27, but temperatures rising after midnight. Wind chill as low as
 19. Wind south-southwest around 9 mph in the evening, becoming 13 mph, gusting
 to 19 mph, after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Precipitation
 (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. No snow or ice (on ground)
 accumulation expected. Above-ground freezing rain accumulation up to 0.5 inches.

14 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Also thought this was cool a little later in the period on the CMC. Watch this loop and note the movement of the HP over Maine. Then watch the movement of the LP in the South. It looks like the two are gearing up for a head-to-head war and the CMC wants to make us the battleground. Again, posting for S&G because I thought the two pressure heading for each other was kind of cool (though likely wrong) and not something you see every day:

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_fh216-240.gif

Looks like storm type E : http://www.glenallenweather.com/alink/18snow/stormtypes.htm 

56 minutes ago, TheJMan said:

Thank you for this! Its amazing how they missed this...

Meanwhile as we complain about forecasts getting worse in recent years here we are discussing a 20" bust high where forecasters didn't even forecast a low pressure forming. The first signs of snow where " hey, listen was that thunder!?"

Meanwhile as we complain about forecasts getting worse in recent years here we are discussing a 20" bust high where forecasters didn't even forecast a low pressure forming. The first signs of snow where " hey, listen was that thunder!?"

I can't speak for specific forecasts or forecasters but I can tell you back then on mirc and easternweather, many of us saw this unfolding 36 hours prior. Many outlets wouldn't budge because they didn't want to believe the ETA model output (would eventually become the NAM and yes, that model has always "NAM'd" at times hence why many didn't buy what it was showing). I remember a small group of us at the time wondering when anyone would look at the current initialization obs and actually see the ETA had the right idea. Then the AVN (now the gfs) model started showing low pressure off SC but tracked it ENE so again the ETA was tossed. It was only when the AVN began tracking farther N and W with each run that others began scratching their heads. While it was a surprise to many on the models, if you saw initialization at 36 hours or so prior it was evident the shortwave was quite a bit stronger and more amped up than models were showing. I remember Scott Simard and myself at the time commenting how the tools used to properly initialize the conus environment were failing severely and throwing fits into the forecast because the vorticity was essentially changing/developing/intensifying so rapidly. It was a great system to learn from. another perfect example of meteorology vs modelology.

12 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

Raliegh broke its 24 hr snowfall record. Wasn't a major event for our area. Biggest thing was that the forecast was a complete failure. Here's a nice guide: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/cases/20000125/

Actually it did end up a major event for our area - with 11" in my backyard. This was the incredibly poorly modeled event that was supposed to stay to the south....but kept coming north

Two wave system coming next weekend into early next week. We will need the first wave to be stronger and attack the arctic high. 12z GFS with a decent winter event on the weekend, para GFS barely anything. CMC shreds and cuts the first wave to our south. 0z ECM was a non event.

Two wave system coming next weekend into early next week. We will need the first wave to be stronger and attack the arctic high. 12z GFS with a decent winter event on the weekend, para GFS barely anything. CMC shreds and cuts the first wave to our south. 0z ECM was a non event.

Watch the 500mb pattern/trend.....ignore the surface for now. You will drive yourself nuts trying to figure out which model's surface depiction is correct, biases, etc. Pattern aloft is screaming ice event for someone VA-NY

Watch the 500mb pattern/trend.....ignore the surface for now. You will drive yourself nuts trying to figure out which model's surface depiction is correct, biases, etc. Pattern aloft is screaming ice event for someone VA-NY.

Eta: Just to add, even a super weak surface reflection of a wave in that pattern can yield an icy scenario. 1994 comes to mind. No monster slp in any of the ice events from what I recall, just weak surface waves with overunning

Sent from my XT603 using Tapatalk 2

Archived