Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

6 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Hey PF, I know you've been nude since Tuesday, but how much did the base of the ski area and the town have?

Base had 38" and in town I *only* had 21.5"... it just was longer duration 1/3-1/2" per hour here as opposed to 1-2"/hr for like 24 hours on the west side and at the ski resort.  There's a very sharp gradient like 2 miles out from Mansfield heading east where the blocked flow sort of ran out of moisture.  It plots well on the BTV storm total map, ha.   Best part of the storm in town was the 9" in 2 hours as that super band lifted north but then we pretty much did steadier light to moderate snow for like over a day straight.

Base area snowpack at 1,550ft got back up over 48" though briefly though it's settled back to low 40s now.  March sun is strong even at cold temps it seems.  We pretty much recovered what was lost in the 2-3 week long thaw haha.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Base had 38" and in town I *only* had 21.5"... it just was longer duration 1/3-1/2" per hour here as opposed to 1-2"/hr for like 24 hours on the west side and at the ski resort.  There's a very sharp gradient like 2 miles out from Mansfield heading east where the blocked flow sort of ran out of moisture.  It plots well on the BTV storm total map, ha.   Best part of the storm in town was the 9" in 2 hours as that super band lifted north but then we pretty much did steadier light to moderate snow for like over a day straight.

Base area snowpack at 1,550ft got back up over 48" though briefly though it's settled back to low 40s now.  March sun is strong even at cold temps it seems.  We pretty much recovered what was lost in the 2-3 week long thaw haha.

Very cool. Impressive synoptic and upslope there. 

Wow that's an awesome picture eyewall.  

As great as the skiing was Thursday and Friday, today was aven better today.  Snow was still good.   Plenty of powder in the woods, and it warmed up for beers outside afterwards.  When the only negative of the day is a little sunburn on the face, it's a pretty damned good day.

wish I could post a picture.

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The stake also gained more depth in one storm that it had it almost at any point last year. Amazing. 

The march sun is strong. Nose only got to the upper 20s today but the sun was just baking stuff. Two months ago nothing crusts or melts. Now, the mercury number almost doesn't matter. 

5 minutes ago, adk said:

The stake also gained more depth in one storm that it had it almost at any point last year. Amazing. 

The march sun is strong. Nose only got to the upper 20s today but the sun was just baking stuff. Two months ago nothing crusts or melts. Now, the mercury number almost doesn't matter. 

Yeah September sun angle now...well late September.

I noticed some of the ungroomed on south facing Spruce Peak had some crust to it despite the cold temps.  

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Very cool. Impressive synoptic and upslope there. 

Yeah this was definitely a set up that the BTV area would do well in with moist cyclonic flow and surface to 4,000ft winds with a more northerly direction than westerly.  

In town here we were pretty shut out aside from light snow on Wednesday but then once the low pressure center kept drifting northward and even westward the winds came around to more westerly and shut off snow in BTV and we got 4-5" more on Wednesday night at home to finish it off (that was when the mountain saw another solid foot, even in the base area).

So many mesoscale aspects and subtle wind shifts deposit snow in different areas...with the exception of the Spine where it just dumps in almost any orographic set-up.  The slight changes in blocking or wind flow affect more like the towns on either side of the mountains that need certain parameters met to capitalize on the lift generated by the mountains.  

35 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah this was definitely a set up that the BTV area would do well in with moist cyclonic flow and surface to 4,000ft winds with a more northerly direction than westerly.  

In town here we were pretty shut out aside from light snow on Wednesday but then once the low pressure center kept drifting northward and even westward the winds came around to more westerly and shut off snow in BTV and we got 4-5" more on Wednesday night at home to finish it off (that was when the mountain saw another solid foot, even in the base area).

So many mesoscale aspects and subtle wind shifts deposit snow in different areas...with the exception of the Spine where it just dumps in almost any orographic set-up.  The slight changes in blocking or wind flow affect more like the towns on either side of the mountains that need certain parameters met to capitalize on the lift generated by the mountains.  

Mother Nature has a funny way of smoothing out the playing field. After my Eyewall like stretch in 11-early '13....we had Nemo and then 18-24" firehouse storm in early March. Just happens like that sometimes. 

2 hours ago, Hitman said:

Wow that's an awesome picture eyewall.  

As great as the skiing was Thursday and Friday, today was aven better today.  Snow was still good.   Plenty of powder in the woods, and it warmed up for beers outside afterwards.  When the only negative of the day is a little sunburn on the face, it's a pretty damned good day.

wish I could post a picture.

Thank you!

Coastal yeah it seems to work out eventually that is for sure.  This is the winter that aced the final exam.

22 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Same can set up as MWN. Hell if I know how they measure any snow up there. I'm sure Mansfield is the same when the wind is ripping. 

But they are staffed 24/7, so maybe they swap cans real quick when it gets close? I've never gotten a good run down of how they report.

Midnight brain fart. MWN will empty every 6 hours. So unless you get 24" in 6 hours it wouldn't be a problem.

8 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Midnight brain fart. MWN will empty every 6 hours. So unless you get 24" in 6 hours it wouldn't be a problem.

Do they always measuring snow in the precip can or do they ever estimate or measure somewhere else if they have significant doubts about what's ended up in the can?

Just now, powderfreak said:

Do they always measuring snow in the precip can or do they ever estimate or measure somewhere else if they have significant doubts about what's ended up in the can?

I'm not sure how they don't run into situations where they have to estimate. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I'm not sure how they don't run into situations where they have to estimate. 

Yeah that's what I'm thinking... I mean it can dump hard for 6 hours and you find that only 2" has found its way into the can and you just know that it's not right.  But I wasn't sure what type of lee-way they are given for that. 

Though they are actual trained weather observers and meteorologists.  The difference on Mansfield is they are electronics engineers and even though a lot of times the will admit that they know more snow has fallen, they do follow protocol and report only what's in the precip can.  On Wednesday it sounds like it was the NWS who made the decision to alter the snowfall to at least use the change in snow depth as the "NEW" snow when WCAX reported in saying everything is completely buried.

I will say it is probably better not to leave it up to the discretion of the engineers.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah that's what I'm thinking... I mean it can dump hard for 6 hours and you find that only 2" has found its way into the can and you just know that it's not right.  But I wasn't sure what type of lee-way they are given for that. 

Though they are actual trained weather observers and meteorologists.  The difference on Mansfield is they are electronics engineers and even though a lot of times the will admit that they know more snow has fallen, they do follow protocol and report only what's in the precip can.  On Wednesday it sounds like it was the NWS who made the decision to alter the snowfall to at least use the change in snow depth as the "NEW" snow when WCAX reported in saying everything is completely buried.

I will say it is probably better not to leave it up to the discretion of the engineers.

I'm sure there are days up on MWN where it snows all day and they actually lose snow depth. 

On 3/18/2017 at 0:23 AM, mreaves said:

Lol. That's a winter warrior right there!  Taking his sled to the ski area. I guess if the lift lines were too long he would have had his own way up!

He could also ride through the notch and hit smuggs on the same day :)

1 hour ago, OceanStWx said:

I'm sure there are days up on MWN where it snows all day and they actually lose snow depth. 

Depth at my snow stake in Ft. Kent dropped by an inch during the April 1982 blizzard (we got 17", CAR had 26.4"), but there were 6'+ drifts within 5 yards on either side.  Stuff happens.

Actually some clouds here this morning after two super-bluebird days.  Low was about 10 thanks to overcast, after -11 and -7 Fri-Sat.  (And 42° diurnal ranges each day.)

17 hours ago, mreaves said:

Did some riding in Allenson's 'hood today. Absolutely beautiful day to be out. 

IMG_0786.JPG

If i didn't see 150 sleds on the trails yesterday i didn't see any, Rode out of Eustis over to Grand falls then over to Parlin Township and had lunch at Lake Parlin Lodge in between the Forks and Jackman, 120 miles.

image.jpeg

4 minutes ago, dryslot said:

If i didn't see 150 sleds on the trails yesterday i didn't see any, Rode out of Eustis over to Grand falls then over to Parlin Township in between the Forks and Jackman, 120 miles.

image.jpeg

Yeah, it was a great day to be out. We did around 90 miles. Leaving for another ride ina little bit. 

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Yeah, it was a great day to be out. We did around 90 miles. Leaving for another ride ina little bit. 

My brother inlaws sled (yamaha) broke down 15 miles from Lake Parlin Lodge and i had to tow it,  Was not much fun going up the side of Coburn  Mtn, Had lunch, Rode back to Eustis 1.5 hrs and then had to drive 1.5 hrs to pick it up and 2 hrs back home...............:(

Eustis 03-18-17.JPG

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

My brother inlaws sled (yamaha) broke down 15 miles from Lake Parlin Lodge and i had to tow it,  Was not much fun going up the side of Coburn  Mtn, Had lunch, Rode back to Eustis 1.5 hrs and then had to drive 1.5 hrs to pick it up and 2 hrs back home...............:(

Eustis 03-18-17.JPG

At least it was a nice day to be out. My sled is actually in the shop for a recall. I took my son's yesterday and borrowed my buddy's to bring my son riding today. 

IMG_0790.JPG

53 minutes ago, mreaves said:

At least it was a nice day to be out. My sled is actually in the shop for a recall. I took my son's yesterday and borrowed my buddy's to bring my son riding today. 

IMG_0790.JPG

It was a great day to be out, Little overkill on the clothing though, Probably lost 5lbs due to sweating .......lol

IMG_1675.JPG

IMG_1676.JPG

3 hours ago, dryslot said:

If i didn't see 150 sleds on the trails yesterday i didn't see any, Rode out of Eustis over to Grand falls then over to Parlin Township and had lunch at Lake Parlin Lodge in between the Forks and Jackman, 120 miles.

image.jpeg

That is a stunning picture dude.  Nice shot.  Something so peaceful yet so powerful, ha.

44 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Nice pic.  Didn't remember what a scar that microburst left at near the lower portion of goat.  Quite visible from this angle.

Yeah its very visible to me from anywhere on Spruce or the Gondola terrain.

It has been very visible at times this season due to the snowpack too.  When the snowpack is lower it sort of blends in but like a large percentage of the downed trees and debris are buried once the stake gets north of 90"/100" area.  I think that's when it really starts to show up as just a white area. 

It really did a number on Lower Goat and that trail will never be the same.  You can see where Goat basically comes down and then the trail loses all definition as it enters the micro-burst.  Still blows my mind being in there...the raw power and the noise that must've created would've been incredible.  Just flattened everything.

Just now, powderfreak said:

That is a stunning picture dude.  Nice shot.  Something so peaceful yet so powerful, ha.

Its as awesome spot, When we got there, I had to search for a spot to park my sled, Must of been 80 sleds parked along the side of the trail.

Good to see the NNE peeps getting out and after it.  What a weekend for outdoor adventuring!  I hiked Mt Pierce yesterday with my gf and then today summited Mt Washington.   Winds were only about 15 mph, wind chill around 0F.  Simply unreal conditions

The Great Gulf flanked by the Northern Presidentials

IMG_20170319_145901_416_zpsmpnbzc3k.jpg

Tuckerman Ravine filled with clouds

IMG_20170319_150457_594_zpsp1zyxxiv.jpg

Archived