Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

10 minutes ago, adk said:

I think as some of the heavier bands pivot into BTV it is going to get pretty interesting. I'd say there is about 2" on the ground and has been a stead .5"/hr rate here. Good small flakes. 

Radar shows yellows just to the south. Hopefully it ramps up soon. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Event totals: 2.0” Snow/0.25” L.E.

I was planning to head home early today anyway, but this morning we got the announcement that UVM was closing at noontime today and staying closed all day tomorrow.  I think the decision to close was probably a little bit easier since this is spring break week for the undergraduates, but UVM closing is still quite notable.  The last time that I can recall UVM closing for a winter event was the 2007 Valentine’s Day Storm, although it’s possible there may have been an ice storm or something since then that prompted a one-day closure.

Driving home from Burlington a bit after 11:00 A.M. today, the slow lane on I-89 was still entirely blacktop, although the passing lane was snow-packed.  Driving was fine though, especially since traffic was very light at that point.  Snowfall was moderate in general along the drive, although lightest from Richmond through Bolton (western slopes) so perhaps there’s a bit of downsloping going on there.

At the house we’d picked up 2.0” of snow as of 12:00 P.M., and the stack was quite dense – I was surprised to find that the snow to liquid ratio was only 8 to 1.  Of course that means that there’s quite a shot of liquid in that 2 inches of snow – 0.25” of water is pretty impressive.  I initially described the snowfall as moderate, but once I was out there getting my cores off the board, I could see that the intensity was more than that – the board refilled with snow very quickly, and I think it’s just the relatively small size of the flakes that is giving the perception of lighter snowfall.

Details from the 12:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 2.0 inches

New Liquid: 0.25 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 8.0

Snow Density: 12.5% H2O

Temperature: 20.1 F

Sky: Snow (2-5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 3.0 inches

So I was just taking a look at the models and couldn’t help but notice that after heading up the coast, the surface low pressure seems to sit and spin in Northern Maine for a bit instead of just pulling away.  As we know, that’s typically quite the propitious position for upslope snow in the Northern Greens and areas down the spine.  I’m not seeing any big numbers of note in the BTV NWS forecast discussion with respect to the upslope potential, but they certainly mention it (relevant portions of the discussion added below) and some of the models have the snow continuing right into Thursday/Friday.  I haven’t looked through to check winds, humidity etc. on the models, but I suspect PF and adk will chime in with their thoughts at some point.  We haven’t had one of these really big synoptic storms with upslope in a while, but we know what the Greens can sometimes do with these things.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

1101 AM EDT Tue Mar 14 2017

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...

Tonight the surface low will continue to track along the New

England coast into eastern Maine by Wednesday morning.  Overnight

snowfall generally ranging from 4-8 inches in more northerly

flow shifting NW in wrap around moisture. Wednesday morning

commute could also be hazardous.

.SHORT TERM /6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...

As of 527 AM EDT Tuesday...Will see some localized Champlain

Valley convergence and upslope effects begin to enhance snowfall

on the western periphery of the system. Snowfall will gradually

become confined to the mountains as we head through Wednesday

evening/night into Thursday morning in a drying, NW flow regime.

An additional 2-5 inches possible on Wednesday. Expect snow

showers to continue into Wednesday night, with greatest

potential across the higher terrain in unblocked NW flow. Snow-

to- liquid ratios of 12:1 to 15:1 expected throughout the event.

Winds will also decrease on Wednesday, but could still see

gusts around 20-25 MPH.

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 236 AM EDT Tuesday...Mid/upper level low slowly lifts

northeast with cyclonic upslope flow continuing into

Thursday...however moisture slowly dissipate. A few lingering

mountains snow showers are likely...especially northern green

mountains.

2 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Yeah we just had a vis crash and it is now starting to look like a snowstorm out there.

Still really small flakes. Wondering whether the 8-1 ratios that JSpin is finding - and that seem to be out around BTV right now - are going to hang around. 

Just now, adk said:

Still really small flakes. Wondering whether the 8-1 ratios that JSpin is finding - and that seem to be out around BTV right now - are going to hang around. 

Yeah the snow growth is concerining. Low vis but small flakes.

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

Snow growth  has been pretty bad down here unless you under some intense echoes---like 30dbz or higher.  Will that change as the storm evolves, who knows.

I just was under a 35 dbz echo. Still small flakes. Lots and lots of them ....

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Guess you would have to take a look at what's going in temp wise and DP wise in the DGZ....guessing its not ideal right now.

Yeah we will have to see if BTV backs down amounts at all.

26 minutes ago, adk said:

Well, from a resurfacing perspective – this 8 to 1 stuff is going to be fantastic.  I guess let’s get enough of this down to really make that old pack a memory, then gradually transition to some Champlain Powder™ and set up a world-class gradient of accumulation from this storm cycle.  We’ve got absolutely zero wind here right now, so in some respects it would be nice to see how dendrites would be stacking with these snowfall rates, but we’ll just watch how Mother Nature’s master plan unfolds for the Northern Greens.

Just now, J.Spin said:

Well, from a resurfacing perspective – this 8 to 1 stuff is going to be fantastic.  I guess let’s get enough of this down to really make that old pack a memory, then gradually transition to some Champlain Powder™ and set up a world-class gradient of accumulation from this storm cycle.  We’ve got absolutely zero wind here right now, so in some respects it would be nice to see how dendrites would be stacking with these snowfall rates, but we’ll just watch how Mother Nature’s master plan unfolds for the Northern Greens.

I'm only looking at it from a perspective of predicted snowfall totals. 6" would refresh alpine surfaces just fine. 

The snowfall rate has certainly been picking up now, compliments of that band that has come into the area with 30-35 db returns shown below:

14MAR17A.gif

The J&E Productions Live Web Cam is running for those monitoring accumulations in this area, and my plan is to leave that stake undisturbed for a while to monitor settled storm depth.  In case the 12-inch gauge on the camera board isn’t sufficient, I put the 30-inch gauge behind it and I’ll tilt the web cam up if needed.

14MAR17C.jpg

Just now, adk said:

Wind now picking up in BTV and the snowfall rate is increasing. Id' say we're north of the .5" /hr rates we saw earlier but lower than 1"/hr. 

I can tell yo here we are getting crushed vis wise. 1/8 or less at times (pics coming later). I haven't measured but I would say at least 2 inches an hour at this point.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

So I was just taking a look at the models and couldn’t help but notice that after heading up the coast, the surface low pressure seems to sit in spin in Northern Maine for a bit instead of just pulling away.  As we know, that’s typically quite the propitious position for upslope snow in the Northern Greens and areas down the spine.  I’m not seeing any big numbers of note in the BTV NWS forecast discussion with respect to the upslope potential, but they certainly mention it (relevant portions of the discussion added below) and some of the models have the snow continuing right into Thursday/Friday.  I haven’t looked through to check winds, humidity etc. on the models, but I suspect PF and adk will chime in with their thoughts at some point.  We haven’t had one of these really big synoptic storms with upslope in a while, but we know what the Greens can sometimes do with these things.

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

1101 AM EDT Tue Mar 14 2017

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING/...

Tonight the surface low will continue to track along the New

England coast into eastern Maine by Wednesday morning.  Overnight

snowfall generally ranging from 4-8 inches in more northerly

flow shifting NW in wrap around moisture. Wednesday morning

commute could also be hazardous.

.SHORT TERM /6 AM WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH WEDNESDAY NIGHT/...

As of 527 AM EDT Tuesday...Will see some localized Champlain

Valley convergence and upslope effects begin to enhance snowfall

on the western periphery of the system. Snowfall will gradually

become confined to the mountains as we head through Wednesday

evening/night into Thursday morning in a drying, NW flow regime.

An additional 2-5 inches possible on Wednesday. Expect snow

showers to continue into Wednesday night, with greatest

potential across the higher terrain in unblocked NW flow. Snow-

to- liquid ratios of 12:1 to 15:1 expected throughout the event.

Winds will also decrease on Wednesday, but could still see

gusts around 20-25 MPH.

.LONG TERM /THURSDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...

As of 236 AM EDT Tuesday...Mid/upper level low slowly lifts

northeast with cyclonic upslope flow continuing into

Thursday...however moisture slowly dissipate. A few lingering

mountains snow showers are likely...especially northern green

mountains.

That's what I'm talking about.

Well, for those that are worried, there’s not too much to be concerned about with respect to the snowfall rates in that yellow band of strong echoes – from 12:00 P.M. to 2:00 P.M. the snowfall rate seemed to be about an inch an hour at best with the tiny flakes, but I just checked the at 3:00 P.M. and there was 6.1” on the board, so that speaks to a pretty impressive snowfall rate in the 2:00 P.M. to 3:00 P.M time period.  It’s still dead calm out there, so conditions are supporting some lofty accumulation with flakes up to nearly an inch in diameter.

Archived