Newest Member
    SnowHabit
NNE Winter Thread

powderfreak

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, ono said:

eating a shoe right now, it appears.  good to see Bolton with 31 trails- they don't exactly have the latest, greatest snowmaking and getting natural help to open terrain is a good thing for that place- it's a really great spot for local families especially. 

I'm no ski guy but I have always found it amazing that Bolton always seems to be on shaky ground.  With it's location in regards to transportation access and elevation you would think it would be an almost automatic success.  I think that I have heard that the ownership of the facilities is so fractured that it is very hard to do anything with a unified vision.  Thats too bad.

2 hours ago, mreaves said:

I'm no ski guy but I have always found it amazing that Bolton always seems to be on shaky ground.  With it's location in regards to transportation access and elevation you would think it would be an almost automatic success.  I think that I have heard that the ownership of the facilities is so fractured that it is very hard to do anything with a unified vision.  Thats too bad.

I think it also has a tough time competing with the larger resorts. It depends on a local crowd for the most part. The access road can be a bear to get up when it snows and they often have issues with wind holds (like today). When I do ski there it is always nice because there is never a lift line and plenty of room on the trails. 

17 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I think it also has a tough time competing with the larger resorts. It depends on a local crowd for the most part. The access road can be a bear to get up when it snows and they often have issues with wind holds (like today). When I do ski there it is always nice because there is never a lift line and plenty of room on the trails. 

What they need to do is relocate the elementary school and run a gondola to the newly created gateway area,  just like the Killington Skyship! People would park there and ride to the base area.  What's 50-100 million$ between friends?

34 minutes ago, mreaves said:

What they need to do is relocate the elementary school and run a gondola to the newly created gateway area,  just like the Killington Skyship! People would park there and ride to the base area.  What's 50-100 million$ between friends?

Hahaha that would be nice as well as doubling their vertical. Either way days like today and likely tomorrow kill them. If Vista goes on hold without Timberline open the day is shot. Not many people are going to go up just for Mid-Mountain. 

50 minutes ago, mreaves said:

14 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Hahaha that would be nice as well as doubling their vertical.

Well, the Bolton Valley master plan didn’t go all the way down to Route 2, but it did go pretty far down the valley.  If they did go all the way down to the bottom of the Winooski Valley they’d be pushing 3,000’ of vertical, very similar to Killington’s setup down to Route 4, albeit ~1,000’ lower all around.  One downside with that of course is that they’d be looking at a bottom elevation similar to Cochran’s, so ample snowmaking would be paramount.  If they were able to draw from the Winooski though that could be a decent source of water.

BVmasterplanstudy.jpg

45 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

Well, the Bolton Valley master plan didn’t go all the way down to Route 2, but it did go pretty far down the valley.  If they did go all the way down to the bottom of the Winooski Valley they’d be pushing 3,000’ of vertical, very similar to Killington’s setup down to Route 4, albeit ~1,000’ lower all around.  One downside with that of course is that they’d be looking at a bottom elevation similar to Cochran’s, so ample snowmaking would be paramount.  If they were able to draw from the Winooski though that could be a decent source of water.

BVmasterplanstudy.jpg

Oooh, a golf course too.  

Ha! Love it! Do the BTV NWS folks know their audience or what?

.SHORT TERM /FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY/...

As of 312 PM EST Thursday...Warm frontal/isentropic ascent arrives around 06Z across the southern tier of the forecast area, and into the remainder of the BTV CWA by 12z Saturday with strong synoptic lift producing stead light-moderate snow through much of the daylight hours prior to around 21Z. Looks like a solid advisory level event with a widespread 4-6" expected and some isolated higher amounts along the spine of the southern Greens from Mount Abe to Killington and points southward. Should be a glorious powder day with mean snow ratios around 18-20:1 and temps gradually warming into the lower 20s valleys and upper teens mountains by early afternoon.

46 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

As of 312 PM EST Thursday...Warm frontal/isentropic ascent arrives around 06Z across the southern tier of the forecast area, and into the remainder of the BTV CWA by 12z Saturday with strong synoptic lift producing stead light-moderate snow through much of the daylight hours prior to around 21Z. Looks like a solid advisory level event with a widespread 4-6" expected and some isolated higher amounts along the spine of the southern Greens from Mount Abe to Killington and points southward. Should be a glorious powder day with mean snow ratios around 18-20:1 and temps gradually warming into the lower 20s valleys and upper teens mountains by early afternoon.

I dont even have to look... that's gotta be a Taber discussion!

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Can you link me to that AFD?  I tried clicking the links on your post but came up short.  I navigated to the BTV NWS site but the AFD I found (typed in Kililngton for a location then hit forecast discussion) doesn't show that paragraph.  Thanks!

10 minutes ago, CoolMike said:

Can you link me to that AFD?  I tried clicking the links on your post but came up short.  I navigated to the BTV NWS site but the AFD I found (typed in Kililngton for a location then hit forecast discussion) doesn't show that paragraph.  Thanks!

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=BTV&issuedby=BTV&product=AFD&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1

Go to the second AFD in the previous versions.

For some reason its showing an old AFD from Tuesday December 13th as the most current one.  Click the link above and then click on the "2" version for today's afternoon AFD.

No idea why Tuesday 12/13 6:29am is showing up as the most recent AFD.

Untitled.jpg

The all-important 40" benchmark has now been hit on December 15th! 

15400558_10102778365754620_9988828849531

That's when the woods are supposedly ready for shred though of course all snowpacks aren't created equally.  This one is pretty stout and although today was 6" of probably 30:1 snow, there's some heft to it.  And today was the first time I had a full clean 20" depth at 1,500ft Barnes Camp.   I am more conservative but I do think the woods are safely skiable at this point from what I've seen...and with a 20" to 40" settled snowpack that's decent for some exploration.  Not the high-end lines or to fully shred...but poking around and skiing some nice lines conservatively is definitely a go right now.

As an aside, the Coop recorded 3" to my sheltered 6" but the snow depth increased by 5".  The ratios at the COOP just aren't what they are on a sheltered snowboard though I bet the liquid is very close.

Just now, powderfreak said:

Its ripping here too... my wife keeps asking "Is that the wind?"  It keeps sounding like someone is trying to break into the place haha.

LOL yeah I hit a brief whiteout near Exit 13 and 14 on I-89 (Burlington exits). When I was at a gas station a real strong gust ripped through and you could hear banging with the metal awning above. 

Event totals: 0.4” Snow/0.01” L.E.

The arctic frontal passage from this morning dropped 0.4” of snow, and we’ve got one going on now that’s clearly a separate event.

Details from the 4:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.4 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 40.0

Snow Density: 2.5% H2O

Temperature: 13.3 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

12 hours ago, mreaves said:

Just some observations- a couple things seem to be in the mix. The local real estate developers that bought it sold off a ton of land/assets- somebody was saying they don't even own the ski shop in the baselodge?    Like a local private equity buyout gone bad- just buy in distress and sell of the pieces? Some of the larger parcels around the resort may have been bought by conservation group(s). Then the resort- there's the terrain itself- it's not a particularly sustained, steep mountain, a fair bit of runout and very little vertical relative to Sugarbush/Stowe/Smuggs- realistically half the vertical maybe at the upper base area? Then western exposure of the mountain gets baked harder in the afternoon sun come March- which kills a lot of the base. That doesn't help. Makes for nice spring skiing though.

Another thing that probably hurts Bolton a little bit- is the above ski-related challenges and then highway access with no direct on/off ramp- what is it, 7 miles or so either way to the interstate.  You notice it- Bolton/Jonesville is kinda like that village from the movie "Cars," where Waterbury and Richmond are both relatively thriving towns/commuter areas to Burlington, and Bolton/Jonesville is just off the beaten track enough to miss some of the action- it's a quiet pocket. It would probably benefit the ski area somewhat to have that. 

It's definitely a hidden gem as far as snow/terrain goes if you go looking- some of the best sidecountry/backcountry natural glades in the east (opinion of course) with a pretty devout local following.  For New England, if you like to ski tour, you couldn't ask for a better place under a half hour from your front door. Nevermind an affordable spot- great to take your kids and still have a place to play around as a child grown taller.

Just some observations- a couple things seem to be in the mix. The local real estate developers that bought it sold off a ton of land/assets- somebody was saying they don't even own the ski shop in the baselodge?    Like a local private equity buyout gone bad- just buy in distress and sell of the pieces? Some of the larger parcels around the resort may have been bought by conservation group(s). Then the resort- there's the terrain itself- it's not a particularly sustained, steep mountain, a fair bit of runout and very little vertical relative to Sugarbush/Stowe/Smuggs- realistically half the vertical maybe at the upper base area? Then western exposure of the mountain gets baked harder in the afternoon sun come March- which kills a lot of the base. That doesn't help. Makes for nice spring skiing though.

Another thing that probably hurts Bolton a little bit- is the above ski-related challenges and then highway access with no direct on/off ramp- what is it, 7 miles or so either way to the interstate.  You notice it- Bolton/Jonesville is kinda like that village from the movie "Cars," where Waterbury and Richmond are both relatively thriving towns/commuter areas to Burlington, and Bolton/Jonesville is just off the beaten track enough to miss some of the action- it's a quiet pocket. It would probably benefit the ski area somewhat to have that. 

It's definitely a hidden gem as far as snow/terrain goes if you go looking- some of the best sidecountry/backcountry natural glades in the east (opinion of course) with a pretty devout local following.  For New England, if you like to ski tour, you couldn't ask for a better place under a half hour from your front door. Nevermind an affordable spot- great to take your kids and still have a place to play around as a child grown taller.

It would make a world of difference if there was a Bolton I89 exit.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Archived